Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yet another Intelligence rant...
    #2190732 - 12/19/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Last night my mother told me something.

It was very disturbing to hear.

"You know, trendal, most people don't like to have heavy conversations all the time. Most of us like to talk about the little things. Quite frankly...most of what you talk about is boring."

Wow. Never, in all my dreams, did I think I would hear this from my own mother.

Is it true?

Would most people rather talk about the weather than the nature of the Universe?

Would most people rather watch TV than have an intellectually stimulating conversation?

Are most people truely this boring?

I asked my mom, in all seriousness: "well what is the point of being this smart if no one wants to hear about it?"

And again, I am more isolated and lonely than ever  :confused:

What's the point?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: trendal]
    #2190805 - 12/19/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You will eventually figure it out. Intelligence is useless unless it is combined with perspective. It is tough when you are young to have any sense of perspective. A week seems like a long time, and a year seems like forever...

Later, time will fly by so quickly that you will feel like a year comes and goes in a few moments...

All of the pontificating and analyzing that you do about life is pointless without an idea of where you fit into all of it. I remember when I was 25 finally realizing that it is okay to not know something. Now I am at the point where I know nothing, and that is reassuring. It may not mean anything to you now, but try to embrace these concepts.

Enjoy the wanting as much as the having.
Learning is more important than knowing.
Being happy is more important than being right.
Peace is something you find as soon as you stop looking for it.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #2190814 - 12/19/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I happen to agree with your mom on this one.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2190821 - 12/19/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yes

my parents say the same thing

don't really talk to them about stuff philisophically because they are too busy worried about the next pay check, or tv, news, etc.

point?? a point to what??? I thought this too once and it got me no where fast.  when you have certain ideas, and figure certain things out, or see things that many may mor may not see, don't you FEEL like you have furthered yourself? think about all the ideas you have learned and expressed over the last year.  think where you are now. do you feel beter about certain things that bothered you before?

are you better in expressing your ideas than you were before?  do you have more control over your emotions than you did before.  look back and see what you have accomplished and note it!

yeah the hardest thing though is leaving it to be with your parents.  lay it to rest though, if they don't seem to want to talk, it's not their time yet to learn maybe??

I feel ya on the lonely thing,  again though if you ever want we could chat!! :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2190911 - 12/19/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

see my thread about superior people in s and p. I know exactly how you feel. In high school, my voice was a metallic rasp from lack of use. I had no one to talk to. Oh well, obligation of the noble, I suppose.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: kaiowas]
    #2191115 - 12/19/03 04:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Perhaps I (and others like me...I know you're out there!) am doomed to live in a world of mindless chatter and irrelevance.

In High School I kept my mouth shut, unable to find anyone who would listen.

University, while different, was not too far from the same. The people there only wanted to talk about their program.

Now, post-school (thank god!), I try to open my mouth to open some minds...and all I find are locked doors and barred windows.

kaiowas, I've become MUCH better over the years at expressing my thoughts. I've learned to enjoy the simple act of understanding a thing - even if there is no one around to share my enjoyment with. I have accomplished enough in my own head that the prospect of another 22 years seems daunting...and exciting.

Just as now I can look back at myself and shake my head with humour...I am sure I will do the same when I'm 40. 60. And the day I die.

It's mostly just the loneliness  :crazy:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2191332 - 12/19/03 06:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I reckon tell your mum that you were offended by what she said and see what she says. Like just make a plain statement "Mum, u know, I was a bit offended by what you said last night" sort of thing. Often people don't mean things exactly the way they say them, and when it's pointed out, they qualify.

Anyway if she did mean it, she might be just a bit dumber than you and can't relate sometimes. Though people on the same level like your friends wouldn't have a problem. Frankly, the shit dumber people talk about I find really boring too.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: enotake2]
    #2191541 - 12/19/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well after she said it I said to her "Well mom...you know that means I've got nothing to talk to you about."

And it's not that I was offended by what she said, more hurt. Having my own mother tell me she doesn't want to talk about what interests me.

I'll get over it :smirk:

Like the title says: I'm probably just ranting. It's straining, only having a VERY few people in my life who I can discuss things with at "my level".

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2191547 - 12/19/03 07:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I am most likely currently in one of my phases of overwhelming self-pity and cynicism.

Thank you to everyone for the replies :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2192828 - 12/20/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Personally I really wish I had friends that sounded as interesting as you, talking about the nature of the universe with me... I find conversations like that really ineresting.

InvisibleLeViTY
I missed theark.

Loc: CA
    #2193096 - 12/20/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You? Trendal? Boring?

That's what us Americans call "a crock of shit".

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2193128 - 12/20/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"You know, trendal, most people don't like to have heavy conversations all the time. Most of us like to talk about the little things. Quite frankly...most of what you talk about is boring." = "I'm too closed-minded to listen the open minded concepts you talk about, so please stick to the mundane"

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: Shroomism]
    #2193263 - 12/20/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There has never been a doubt in my mind as to why I come here every day :smile:

Thanks guys!

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #2193384 - 12/20/03 06:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

He who despises himself, esteems himself as a self-despiser.

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
    #2193888 - 12/21/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Your mom is right...
unfortunately most people just have nothing interesting to say.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: Psilopleix]
    #2195050 - 12/22/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

unfortunately most people just have nothing interesting to say.

yea, what's interesting you might not be intersting to others and the same for the other way around.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2195297 - 12/22/03 08:36 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Parents suck until you become one, then you admire their wisdom (or not) on the earthly matters. You're a seeker. That's good. Most people never sought more than the food on their plate, the roof over their head, and to have sex and be admired by someone. You however have more of a burden in that you aren't satisfied so easily. So be it. Keep on your quest young dude. Find your own way. It may be the way everyone is looking for, but didn't realize. Just keep going. It might be boring for some, but it's endlessly fascinating for you. This is good. Too much starch in the soup burns on the bottom and ruins the whole pot. Someone must stir it up. In other words, rank materialism is gross and sickening. It's the higher thought which brings life into the dense human world.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: eve69]
    #2195304 - 12/22/03 08:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

rank materialism is gross and sickening. It's the higher thought which brings life into the dense human world

^^^^ i like that  :laugh:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2197172 - 12/23/03 03:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
I asked my mom, in all seriousness: "well what is the point of being this smart if no one wants to hear about it?"

And again, I am more isolated and lonely than ever  :confused:

I'm right there with you on this one.  This is something I've struggled with off & on since I was a little kid. 

On one hand, I want to learn more, but then, like you, I wonder "what's the point?"  So I can have more cool things in my head I can't share with anyone?  That's the most frustrating thing for me - knowing  all the interesting shit my friends are missing out on.  But, like you said, they either don't care or don't understand.

Don't lose hope, though - there are a few of us out there, you just have to look really hard.  This forum is a good place to find intelligent people who want to discuss real issues, not make bullshit small-talk.

One of the things I've learned in my old age (just turned 29...ack!) is that the smartest people are usually found in the most unlikely places, so talk to whoever you can about your ideas, even if it seems way over their heads.  Most of the time it will be and you can just walk away, but you'll be pleasantly surprised the other times.  I had a very insightful conversation with a homeless guy who hit me up for $ in a 7-11 parking lot at 2:30 one morning.

Few quick examples & I'll shut up & go to bed...

1.  A cousin of mine turned 18 recently, so I started hanging out with him & getting high.  Hadn't seen the kid in a few years and we'd never had an "adult" conversation before, plus he was always the hyper, annoying kid throwing people in the pool at parties - that type of shit.  I ended up sitting on the patio for 5 hours that first day, just talking about all kinds of things.  Turns out he wants to be an English teacher and has an amazing gift for creative writing.  Hell if I knew.

2.  A friend of mine who posts a lot on the S & P board (Frog) comes off like a complete ditz in person...and probably on the board at times.  Always forgets shit, gets lost, locks her keys in the car repeatedly, etc.  Most people can't get past that shit & don't give her credit for being that smart, but she's one of the very few people I've met who can/will stay up 'til 3:00 talking about brain waves or whatever with me. 

I have to work at 8 every day, sometimes on very little sleep, and I know people think I was out partying.  I'd feel like a total dork telling 'em I was up too late 'cause our philosophy discussion was so interesting.

3.  When I got hired (I'm an accountant), they gave me the boss' daughter for an assistant.  She's 22 and is a big, goofy, crazy (bipolar & ADD) Mexican chick who was just working as the receptionist & playing Freecell all day when I got there.  Nobody even bothered showing the kid how to do anything 'cause she does some goofy shit, has mood swings, didn't do well in school, etc. 

Poor kid even figured she was stupid 'til I came along & started showing her stuff.  Honestly, my first impression was "boss' kid, front desk girl, whatever" - I knew the type.  Turns out, the kid's a sponge for knowledge & is learning things faster than I can throw 'em at her.  Not just work stuff, either - science, philosophy, computers, whatever I read, I share with her.  I've even started writing up lessons out of college texts for her 'cause she wants me to. :shocked:

Sorry that got long-winded, but I wanted to give you some encouragement that you will find people who can relate on your level.  They're few and far between, and found in strange places, but you'll find 'em...or maybe they'll find you, you just never know.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflinePhoshaman
Litteringannnnddddd?
I'm a teapot

Loc: FLAHHHIDAAA
Re: Yet another Intelligence rant... [Re: Renegade8]
    #2197253 - 12/23/03 06:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Discussing philosophy doesn't exactly make you smart.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale