Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

Smashing Pumpkins
    #21891877 - 07/03/15 09:29 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone else here love this band? I'm seeing them live next month for the first time .. fucking stoked ! Jimmy Chamberlin will be on drums  :bow2:

--------------------

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits.- John C. Lilly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineclock_of_omens
razzle them dazzle them
I'm a teapot

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: caman]
    #21900271 - 07/05/15 09:47 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't listened to much, but 1979 is a great song.

InvisibleGrateful Dead
A Growing Ambivalence
Male User Gallery

Loc: Parked Car, Playing NPR
    #21901041 - 07/05/15 01:19 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

You lucky dog...

I'm a huge fan of the pumpkins. They are one of those bands that I can safely say changed my life for the better. I still routinely play the album Melancholy and The Infinite Sadness finding new meaning and feelings in each song.

I got their newest album "Monuments to an Elegy" and that was a lot better then the kaleidoscope project but I still find that Oceania was more soild, but I still need to hang out with Moments more before I have a strong opinion.

--------------------
Life begins on the other side of despair...

Offlinemushypanda
Care Bear
Male User Gallery

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: Grateful Dead]
    #21902892 - 07/05/15 09:14 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

If you like Billy, check out Zwan :thumbup:

--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: Grateful Dead]
    #21904708 - 07/06/15 09:46 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Indeed 1979 is a classic, clock of omens if you want to hear some more shoot me a msg & will give you a list of some other Pumpkin gems.

Quote:

Grateful Dead said:
You lucky dog...

I'm a huge fan of the pumpkins. They are one of those bands that I can safely say changed my life for the better. I still routinely play the album Melancholy and The Infinite Sadness finding new meaning and feelings in each song.

I got their newest album "Monuments to an Elegy" and that was a lot better then the kaleidoscope project but I still find that Oceania was more soild, but I still need to hang out with Moments more before I have a strong opinion.

Yeah man I feel ya on the MCIS praise, a truly beautiful & unique album (also very dark at times !) & I'm not really feeling MTAE its alright but its seems like Billy is trying far too hard to be relevant to the modern mainstream .. that being said its still okay. Oceania is defiantly better then the kaleidoscope project & MTAE, its fresh but still has that good ol SP magic throughout. Since the band got back together in 07 I think Zeitgeist was the best album they have put out, "Tarantula & "United States" were badass! lots more of great tunes on that album too. What did you think of Zeitgeist?

In response to mushypanda, I dig Zwan. They're pretty good, it has Billy + Jimmy so cant really go wrong there. Although in my eyes doesn't even come close to touching the Pumpkins material. But I must say I Absolutely love the song "Of A Broken Heart"  beautiful ! pulls my heartstrings.

--------------------

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits.- John C. Lilly

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21906117 - 07/06/15 05:10 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

You are so lucky. Will James Iha be playing guitar? That'd be really cool if all the members could put their differences aside & do a reunion tour & come out with a CD. I don't think Billy Corgan has any desire to do the same kind of songs he did when he was in his 20's though. Definitely one of my top 4 bands. Man it would have been fucking awesome to see them live in the early 90's.

Some songs I really like by them: Plume, Bury Me, Hummer, Hello Kitty Kat, Rhinoceros, Here Is No Why, & Thru The Eyes Of Ruby. What songs do you like by the pumpkins?

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: Bigfeely123]
    #21906282 - 07/06/15 05:54 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Nah, Unfortunately Mr.Iha will not be on the guitar. That would be awesome though if stars aligned & the original lineup got together! Yeah seeing them in the 90s would have been unreal, from watching their live performances on youtube & such you can just tell the energy/intensity was through the roof !

I love all the songs you mentioned! all classics. Some I like that you didn't mention are: Siva, Suffer, Obscured, Starla, Rocket, Cherub Rock, Geek USA, Soma, Zero, God, Cherry, Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, Bodies, Galapagos, Pug, The Everlasting Gaze,Cash Car Star, Superchrist, In My Body, man I could go on forever listing favourites haha.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21909238 - 07/07/15 11:01 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I like most of those songs that you named, the other ones I don't know... I have to check out more of their newer material. I haven't gone past their early 2000's Machina CD, except for listening to a little bit of Zeitgeist & liked a couple songs from that CD but I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

I always really liked the song obscured. Such an amazing song. Their is an acoustic version on youtube. The title is something along the lines of "1991 obscured solo london hotel". It is worth checking out. :thumbup:

Edited by Bigfeely123 (07/07/15 11:02 AM)

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21909962 - 07/07/15 02:30 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I would recommend giving Zeitgeist a few spins aswell as Oceania. Both are solid albums but MTAE go in with real low expectations & be expecting a pop album essentially. Adore & Machina when I first head them initially really put me off but now I love them both. I have never heard that version so I will defiantly check it out, thanks!

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21910156 - 07/07/15 03:15 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I heard that Oceania was pretty good. I'll have to check that one out. What is your favorite old school album? I got Machine a couple weeks ago, been listening to it here & there. Going to have to sit down & listen start to finish in the next couple days. & Do you know anything about the concert your going to? Is it going to be an acoustic set or electric?

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
    #21912179 - 07/07/15 09:58 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

caman said:
I would recommend giving Zeitgeist a few spins aswell as Oceania. Both are solid albums but MTAE go in with real low expectations & be expecting a pop album essentially. Adore & Machina when I first head them initially really put me off but now I love them both. I have never heard that version so I will defiantly check it out, thanks!

zeitgeist i thought had some bangers

--------------------

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #21913820 - 07/08/15 08:00 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Oh that is tough, for the longest time it was Gish due to its psychedelic vibe & spiritual lyrics. Then Siamese Dream I find is the most enjoyable album where I can click play & not have to worry about a single boring song. MCIS is insanely good but I find their is some filler scattered about when if you look at  the b-sides from that era they could have easily fixed the filler problem. I think as of right now my favourite is Siamese Dream, how about yourself?

The concert will be electric, though someday I would love too see one of the acoustic shows. Despite Billy bitching in recent years of never being a greatest hits band the setlist seems to be heavy on the hits.. hah. Not that I mind , thats fine but I would like to see some more variety. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/2015/concord-pavilion-concord-ca-2bf69ce2.html best songs played were United States & Thru The Eyes Of Ruby, I sincerly hope that these 2 songs are also played at the show i'm seeing.

zeitgeist i thought had some bangers

Hell yeah it did !

--------------------

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21938202 - 07/13/15 04:56 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

- this song while on LSD  :costanza:

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21942846 - 07/14/15 04:49 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I listen to the smashing pumpkins a lot while tripping. Their music is intense, it goes good. I have been listening to them so much the past two weeks or so-mellon collie & the infinite sadness especially. Siva is a great song man. First time I heard songs from Gish was awesome. It is still probably my favorite SP cd actually, Siamese Dream is super close.

^ Listened to this the last time while on L. (along with most of the songs from the 2nd dist twilight to starlight)

^ Man I love this song... it is so nice. I love the slow chords Billy plays throughout the song.

edit: Sorry for not posting on this thread in a while. I want to keep it alive. The smashing pumpkins are an awesome band. One of my four favorite bands of all time.

Edited by Bigfeely123 (07/14/15 04:51 PM)

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21943341 - 07/14/15 06:33 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed, Smashing Pumpkins are great for tripping! Gish & SD are LSD albums for me & MCIS has been a mushroom album for whatever reason, the darker songs on it are defiantly intense while tripping (Where Boys Fear To Tread, Bodies, Zero, Xyu & Fuck You) Yeah dude, By Starlight is so subtle & yet so beautiful.. That would defiantly be a good one for an LSD trip.

Glad to know i'm not the only person on here who has a love for psychedelics & the pumpkins :thumbup: Right on man lets keep this thread alive for as long as we can !

- you heard this one before? its pretty badass

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21946023 - 07/15/15 06:36 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I always get this sensation with the volume turned up really loud that songs like, where boys fear to trend & XYU almost feel like they are tossing you around when you're tripping pretty hard. They are just so intense man, I love it.

I have honestly not heard that song before. It definitely will be one I listen to for now on though. Is that one of their newer or older songs?

^ this song is awesome. I love when they start the "build up" sort of thing around 3:00 & it just goes into overdrive mode around 3:25. Man I love those SP buildups & then EXPLOSION!

In my opinion, The Smashing Pumpkins are one of the best bands to trip to. A trip tends to bring out a lot of different emotions & SP songs are based on a variety of emotions-happy, sad, joyful, dissapointment, anger, frustration, & so on. So the two go hand in hand. I bet during SP's heydey they were doing psychedelics occasionally.

InvisibleTrichome_Delta9
Male User Gallery

#21950495 - 07/16/15 05:09 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

might be seeing them soon with marilyn manson, MAYBE though... i hope so...

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: Trichome_Delta9]
    #21950570 - 07/16/15 06:05 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

That'd be pretty cool. I honestly have never much of Marilyn Manson's music. Just that one song called "sweet dreams". I remember learning some of it on guitar. If I remember correctly I read somewhere where Billy Corgan & M.M. played a show recently, as in the last year or this year.

Why just "maybe"? :tongue: The distance is what stops me from going to a lot of shows... :frown:

InvisibleTrichome_Delta9
Male User Gallery

#21950575 - 07/16/15 06:11 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

i live by DTE music theatre a music venue less than 10 minutes from where i grew up.

I didnt like manson before that concert but since then ive realized he puts on a good show and his music aint too bad for the hard rock scene.

im just afraid since michigan is pretty much dead with its concerts now that the show wont be good. the shows these days only suck because of the audience had zero energy. you can see most perfromers frustration with how dead it is here in "Detroit rock city"

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

Re: Smashing Pumpkins [Re: Trichome_Delta9]
    #21950606 - 07/16/15 06:25 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I think that is the way most shows are nowadays unfortunately... It is a shame.

I have seen some smashing pumpkins live videos where the crowd is frikken pumping! Crowd surfers, mosh pits (before they banned them at SP shows.), everyone jumping up & down. You can tell that the crowd is totally feeding off the energy of the music & then the performers see that so they get excited too & it just creates a cycle of explosive energy between the two. I would've paid lots of money to see them at their peak.

Edited by Bigfeely123 (07/16/15 06:26 AM)

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21950616 - 07/16/15 06:33 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I am still exploring this CD. I haven't gotten through the whole thing. To me I consider it a newer one of theirs even though it is fairly old by now (Released in year 2000.)

Different from their older songs but still has some older SP elements. The solos don't seem as "explosive" nor do they have that weird but cool vacuum/suction sort of effect. (not sure how to explain it) I know Billy Corgan is using some type of modulation effect for that specific sound I am talking about & I highly suspect it is a phaser pedal with the speed on a low setting.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21951936 - 07/16/15 12:51 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bigfeely123 said:
I always get this sensation with the volume turned up really loud that songs like, where boys fear to trend & XYU almost feel like they are tossing you around when you're tripping pretty hard. They are just so intense man, I love it.

I have honestly not heard that song before. It definitely will be one I listen to for now on though. Is that one of their newer or older songs?

^ this song is awesome. I love when they start the "build up" sort of thing around 3:00 & it just goes into overdrive mode around 3:25. Man I love those SP buildups & then EXPLOSION!

In my opinion, The Smashing Pumpkins are one of the best bands to trip to. A trip tends to bring out a lot of different emotions & SP songs are based on a variety of emotions-happy, sad, joyful, dissapointment, anger, frustration, & so on. So the two go hand in hand. I bet during SP's heydey they were doing psychedelics occasionally.

It's an older song, from the zero ep ! a lot of great stuff on there. Yeah man I love those buildups that lead to the explosions as well, the more recent material is really missing that. Exactly ! you are 100% correct that's why they're such a good band too trip to they deal with all emotions you could be feeling. Once again you are 100% correct, Billy Corgan has said before that during practice in the Gish era the whole band would drop LSD. In fact he said he was doing so much LSD that he was stuttering. Then Siamese Dream Era he was taking LSD, crashing on peoples couchs & living in a garage while writing the songs for that album. Billy should do some more L for the next SP album :thumbup:

I think the concert I'm going to will also have MM its called the End Of Times Tour, I believe he is the opening act then SP comes out but i'm not entirely sure.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21951976 - 07/16/15 01:03 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I am going to check that out today. I'll let you know how I like it. & That makes perfect sense because to me, Gish has the most psychedelic influence out of all the CD's that I've heard. & I agree that he should.

You should make a "journal" about your experience at the SP concert after you go. I'd be interested in hearing how everything went & some of the songs that they played. I bet it is going to be an awesome time man. Let's hope that the crowd is awake :cool: Haha, like how you see in the older videos where there are people crowd surfing, pogo-ing like crazy in the air, moshing & really having a gnarly time. :rockon:

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21952039 - 07/16/15 01:21 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Check this out. I just heard this song for the first time. I was trying to come across some stuff I haven't heard before & I found this. I want to check out more of their "b-sides", EP's, other songs that didn't make it on to studio albums & stuff like that.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21953561 - 07/16/15 08:04 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah man for sure, I could do that ! & oh man if the crowd is like that I will be so stoked, most likely will be people blabbing & on there phones unfortunately but hell you never know ! fingers crossed the crowd is energetic & wild. 

That is a good tune, you can definitely tell its Gish era. Dude they have a ridiculous amount of b-sides , demos, eps & etc, should keep you busy for awhile ! Just the other day I discovered there is a song called "I Am One 2" its an acoustic sequel to the original. Check out the Gravity Demo's ! mostly instrumentals from 1994 but there is a lot of pretty & badass stuff on their.

--------------------

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21953597 - 07/16/15 08:14 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

- underrated Pumpkins song, Jimmy kills it.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger
    #21971580 - 07/20/15 04:40 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I've been listening to that song Smiley like once a day for the past couple days lol. Great song. I love the whole song but my favorite part is, 2:24 to 2:37.

I like that song you posted. It's off the zeitgeist CD I remember. I've definitely heard it before. Any other songs you'd recommend from that CD? It's crazy how different Billy Corgan looks without any hair. But then again I think anyone would look different without their hair... :grin:

This is another acoustic song from Billy if you're interested in his acoustic/solo stuff.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21974905 - 07/21/15 09:42 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Oh man Drown is a classic ! I never heard this acoustic version, I heard one from like 2009 or something but this ol school pumpkins version is really awesome.  From Zeitgeist I would recommend Tarantula, United States, Neverlost & also the bonus edition tracks Ma Belle & Stellar.
I find those all to be classic tracks now.  Billy with long hair wearing paisley shirts was his coolest look if you ask me but he also pulls off the bald look haha.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#21983428 - 07/23/15 07:27 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I agree that he can pull off either look. The bald look is a little more menacing lol. Thanks for the suggestions, they were good.

Some newer Pumpkins. I like these songs. Especially "The Chimera".

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#21990761 - 07/24/15 03:18 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I also like "The Chimera" it has a kinda Siamese Dream vibe to it ! Oceania is really solid album I find, it gave me a false hope for what became MTAE.. I thought it would pick up where Oceania let off but still in a forwards direction.

- "Honeyspider" another great LSD song from the Gish era

--------------------

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22005060 - 07/27/15 03:10 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

great acoustic version of "For God & Country"

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22008145 - 07/28/15 06:11 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hey how are you doing? That song honeyspider is bad ass. I like it. Has some sick guitar.

This is a pretty good song. One of the first SP songs I heard, even before most of the songs on Gish & Siamese Dream.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22009209 - 07/28/15 12:03 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I'm doing pretty good thanks! how about your self dude?

Stand Inside Your Love is such a beautiful song :heart:

A couple years back when I was a severely depressed 18 year old longing for love this song was my anthem hahah.

By the way "Test it before you ingest it." I like that :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22017106 - 07/29/15 08:34 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

- wow, this performance is incredible. great crowd aswell. I miss how epic billy corgan's solos used to be.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22034370 - 08/02/15 04:45 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hey caman. That song 'Ugly' is good man-I've never heard that one before. & Soma is one of my favorite songs off of Siamese Dream. Yeah Billy Corgan has a really unique guitar playing style, in my opinion his guitar skills are pretty underrated.

^ This song is really nice & gentle sounding.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22044949 - 08/04/15 10:29 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hell yes Billy is so underrated when it comes to his guitar skills! Luna is without a doubt my favourite love song by SP. Bigfeely ! I just got back from the Pumpkins concert & it was fucking fantastic dude. I will take your advice & write a journal of the experience in a day or two.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22045847 - 08/05/15 06:09 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, that is awesome man. Did you just go last night? I can't wait to read the journal dude. :rockon: I went to a music festival over the weekend. I would've much rather seen The Smashing Pumpkins though... I'm jealous. Haha.

^A smashing pumpkins classic. This song "rocks out loud". :grin: My first real heavy mushroom trip I listened to Siamese Dream. :mushroom2:

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22067193 - 08/09/15 01:20 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

They opened at the concert with Cherub Rock ! Billy nailed the guitar solo.. I was pretty stoked on that.

I have been busy past few days but I will get the journal started up right now man!

Edit: Journal is done, hope you enjoy it man because I had no idea how to make one haha.

--------------------

Edited by caman (08/09/15 03:10 PM)

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22070858 - 08/10/15 08:40 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

That'd be a good song to start off a SP show. & it's alright man. I have been going on the shroomery less & less it seems. I'm going to read it now. :smile:

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22083571 - 08/12/15 09:34 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

The song "Spaced" is really good. It's so weird. It's almost scary. It's on the Pisces Iscariot CD. Last night I listened to that whole CD & tonight I listened to about 75% of it.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22088056 - 08/13/15 04:28 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

PI is the coolest b-sides album ever! I agree that  "It's so weird. It's almost scary."

Interesting way too finish off the album, which is your favourite song off of it?

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger

#22090352 - 08/14/15 08:34 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

My favorite song from that one is probably Hello Kitty Kat or La Dolly Vita. Both excellent songs. The entire CD contains a bunch of great songs but if I had to pick it'd be very close between those two. I can listen to the whole thing start to finish & very much enjoy the entire experience.

This was the first song I ever heard from that CD. Such an amazing, beautiful song.

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22104433 - 08/17/15 08:46 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Good choices! I love those tunes as well. Obscured is also one of the first Pumpkin songs I heard & wow is it ever beautiful ! other then those you mentioned I would say Starla is the other amazing song on their, the last 5 or 6 minutes or however long exactly is just insanely awesome.

--------------------

InvisibleBigfeely123
Stranger
    #22124697 - 08/21/15 09:47 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Invisiblecaman
The Sauntering Stranger
Male User Gallery

#22140525 - 08/25/15 11:44 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Beautiful & raw! I quite like the demo version, nice post! :smile:

- Always loved this song, 3:00-3:35 is just awesome :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom