Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: Heyowana]
    #21872502 - 06/29/15 10:21 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Samples have gone down to TimT to do microscopy work.
I have observed that the ones that come up in the mud without a leaf covering grow larger than the ones with a leaf covering. The tuft of mycellium at the bottom of the stipe is covered with the mud ones and seems to promote better growth.
I am thinking now they may be a river species. I am postulating that they fruit on the muddy banks of the parts of the river or creek where flood water is trapped and recedes slowly over time.
Now to look and test my theory out.

--------------------
Spirit of the earth, remember.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

#21879930 - 06/30/15 09:01 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I think the season is finally drawing to a close. Only one popped up in the last week. It was a robust specimen because it came up in the mud with no leaves on top of its base.
Its up to TimT now. I look forward to hearing any of his conclusions regarding the identity of this mushroom.
Hope they fruit again next season. So I'll be looking out for them in autumn to winter.

--------------------

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: Heyowana] * 1
    #21886930 - 07/02/15 10:01 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I've created an observation on Mushroom Observer and included a microscopic description and a few micrographs. It's hard to draw any solid conclusions from the microscopy.

When examining the collection I noted that almost all had small sticks/twigs attached to the base, which makes me think they are lignicolous. With that in mind I don't think Psilocybe subaeruginosa can be ruled out.

--------------------
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" ~ John Lennon

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: TimmiT]
    #21890680 - 07/03/15 12:20 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Section Semilanceatae, I still believe this is P. alutacea regardless of substrate which I have noted in other species in the genus to not be as limited as what a published description mentions, especially with secondary decomposers, sometimes fruiting from partially decomposed wood and sometimes from clay soils, it's possible for a dung loving species to fruit from certain types of soil especially if there is a lot of dung washing off into that soil.

I'm a bit worried about how accurate your spore measurements are TimmiT, when looking at the cystidia micrographs the spores in the field look to be quite a bit larger than the width of the cystidia which I would expect would make them a bit longer than 10µm.

--------------------

Edited by inski (07/03/15 05:57 AM)

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: inski]
    #21891188 - 07/03/15 03:29 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Inski I was reading that P.alutacea is a very close relative to P.semilanceata. What I can't find out is if P.alutacea has a detachable gelatinous pellicle like P.semilanceata and the said mushrooms.
Bioassay says they aren't P.subaeruginosa. Gallery also rules out P.subaeruginosa.
Anyway I'll butt out now with my macroscopic mumbo jumbo.
Thanks TimmiT and Inski.

--------------------

InvisibleTimmiTM
 User Gallery

Loc: Victoria Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #21894067 - 07/03/15 08:12 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Section Semilanceatae, I still believe this is P. alutacea regardless of substrate which I have noted in other species in the genus to not be as limited as what a published description mentions, especially with secondary decomposers, sometimes fruiting from partially decomposed wood and sometimes from clay soils, it's possible for a dung loving species to fruit from certain types of soil especially if there is a lot of dung washing off into that soil.

I'm a bit worried about how accurate your spore measurements are TimmiT, when looking at the cystidia micrographs the spores in the field look to be quite a bit larger than the width of the cystidia which I would expect would make them a bit longer than 10µm.

The measurements show that the spores are longer than most of the cystidia are wide (6-10µm). The spore measurements are given as an average but the cystidia as a range, so the average spore is only similar in size to the widest cystidia.

--------------------
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" ~ John Lennon

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: TimmiT]
    #21894655 - 07/03/15 10:26 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, that makes more sense, good work:)

--------------------

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

#21903510 - 07/06/15 12:45 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I was reading the thread today:New active psilocybe species discovered in Western Australia. When I got to the end I made a comment about it.
A couple of years ago I was talking to a fellow who has brumbies in a large unfenced paddock down the road from my place. I asked him where he got them. He told me where and it was around where I used to live.
I made a collection of the summer fruiting unknown psilocybe there back in 2009.
Brumbies used to come down into my paddock now and then.
I had 600 acres most of which was bush. The surrounding farms were often 1500 acres. This in turn was all surrounded by untold acres of national park.
So there are plenty of brumbies and room for them to run around.
I went down the road to the brumby paddock today.
Too dry but brumby poo here and there.
Walking back I saw horse manure up to about 500 meters from my place.
TimmiT and Inski's comments made me think what if the tiny sticks at the base of the stiped in my collection were chewed plant material in wallaby poo.
I have seen my dog chase roos and wallabies into next door and further.
The brumby paddock is full of them early morning and late afternoon.
So if my collection is P.alutacea it may have been introduced from the horse paddock.

I think I'll go down there in summer after heavy rain. Might find another unknown psilocybe resembling the ones I found in 2009.

--------------------

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

#22529344 - 11/15/15 09:26 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

They are back colonising horse manure I put along the edge of the drain.

When the rain stops I will photograph them hopefully later today.

The size has increased. Specimens on the horse manure are reaching 25mm across the cap. Their stems are thicker as well. Ones not growing on the manure are similar in size to the Winter crop with a few larger ones mixed in.

The larger ones are identical to the mushrooms I picked at Dalmorton in 2009. I think these are a fairly common mushroom in this area.

I will check the brumby paddocks on Tuesday weather permitting. I actually used the manure from the same horses down there which were caught near Dalmorton up the Sara river.

I have always wanted to go and look for gold and sapphires down the Sara river. Now I have another reason to look.

--------------------

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

#22529785 - 11/15/15 10:58 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Photos are in my gallery now.

Poor quality I know. Raining on and off all day. Been stormy for about a week. Biggest score was last week with about 2.5 inches in one day.

Temperature has been getting down to about 13 degrees C at night with daytime temps fluctuating between 22 - 32 degrees C.

Not sure about about the P.alutacea correspondence considering the maximum temps we are getting. Still it looks the closest guess macroscopically.

Still waiting to hear from TimmiT or Alan. Now there are more specimens my hope for an ID is increased.

--------------------

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
    #22531893 - 11/16/15 11:41 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Nice to see that you're finding more of them. Try to rotate the photos next time.
It would be really interesting to hear about the results from the DNA analysis, if it was ever performed?

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: knarkkorven]
    #22534551 - 11/16/15 08:44 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks. I am so backwards when it comes to technology. I worked it out today that the photos can be rotated.

Yes I would like to know about DNA. Alan said he'd do it when he returned from Mexico. He wasn't sure if they had arrived though.

TimmiT told me he'd get back to me if he came to any conclusions about their identity.

--------------------

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

#22536054 - 11/17/15 06:24 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I went down to the horse paddock down the road today. No luck. It is a dry looking paddock. Not suitable unless it was really wet I think.

Brought back a garbage bag full of fresh horse manure though. Having observed the affinity of the mushrooms to colonise the wettest end of the horse manure I proceeded to put handfuls of manure throughout the drain.

The water can still pass through but now the nutrient from the manure should help colonies to form around and within the small piles of manure. With a bit of luck anyway.

The paddock I found these kind of mushrooms out Dalmorton was a very wet paddock. It was at the foot of steep hills. Runoff gullies would send the water rushing down the hill after storms into the gully flooding it.

I only lived at that place for about 6 months before having to return to Qld. Three months after finding them I left.

I am saying this to stress the point that it is highly likely that these mushrooms would occur out there seasonally when it gets wet enough.

I believe some interest in finding these mushrooms has been generated lately. They sure don't stand out like the average Goldtop or meanie so it would be a challenge to find them I think.

So on that note I'll cease my ramblings on this thread. I'll keep posting photos in my gallery for anyone who is interested. Thanks Shroomery for letting me start this thread.

Happy hunting.

--------------------

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#22536712 - 11/17/15 11:05 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

There was another interesting find in Queensland a few days ago, check this out:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22523976

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: knarkkorven] * 1
    #22586322 - 11/28/15 02:03 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I have examined the microscopic characteristics of Heyowana's collection and with those characteristics plus his description and photographs I can confirm Psilocybe alutacea

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #22587272 - 11/28/15 05:55 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
I have examined the microscopic characteristics of Heyowana's collection and with those characteristics plus his description and photographs I can confirm Psilocybe alutacea

Very cool!

I'd love to see the DNA on this so I can add it to my phylogenetic tree.

OfflineHeyowana
Dionysus Forever
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #22588665 - 11/28/15 11:42 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I found a few more today. Two are fruiting out of a cow pat. I put some cow manure at the bottom end of the drain. The rest are fruiting in the horse manure.

I'll photograph them tomorrow as it's too overcast and misty with rain to do it today.

--------------------

Offlineknarkkorven
Entheoholic
Male User Gallery

#22594219 - 11/30/15 12:20 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Great to finally get a positive ID!
:brilliant:

You should send some to Jan Borovicka, he's about to conduct a potency study of psilocybin mushrooms and this species has never been studied before.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22345076

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: knarkkorven]
    #22595613 - 11/30/15 06:24 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

knarkkorven said:
Great to finally get a positive ID!
:brilliant:

You should send some to Jan Borovicka, he's about to conduct a potency study of psilocybin mushrooms and this species has never been studied before.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22345076

Agreeing 100 %. Great find! :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMadMuncher
💣🔫 land back 💰
 User Gallery

Loc: on One
Re: Liberty cap allies fruiting in Australia in Summer. [Re: Anglerfish]
    #22595625 - 11/30/15 06:29 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Holy shit how'd I miss this?

Nothing to add, carry on, carry on!

Good job guys

--------------------

amanita phalloides prints for trade
$BanEnlil $IgnoreEnlil   

Spicemaster said: The stories. The words. The descriptions. Keep your list handy.

AMAF

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification