Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMikeHuntShrooms
enthusiast

If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more...
    #2188254 - 12/18/03 05:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i need a:
-smaller less noticeable incubator
-incubator that doesnt have to be planted in an extremely sterile location(but a well cleaned room)

are there any types of incubators any of you know about that i could build that would help create a more sterile growing environment so that i would be able to grow these in my living space.. i wouldnt mind only doing like 4 cakes i just wanna learn and have some shrooms to eat, and its really hard right now because i am running short on places where i can do this.. if anyone can link me to any good teks for this or can just post a decent idea i would be very thankful.

thanks guys

--------------------
Click this link now!
http://venus.walagata.com/w/mikehuntshrooms/scream.jpg

Edited by MikeHuntShrooms (12/18/03 05:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleplura16
ROM3/10 SOLID

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: MikeHuntShrooms]
    #2188687 - 12/18/03 09:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

what about a soft pack like six pack cooler with zipper? you could add a jar of hot water a few times a day?

--------------------

- USA -

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: MikeHuntShrooms]
    #2188692 - 12/18/03 09:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

they can be incubated in a box in the utility closet or your bedroom closet, you may want to consider a stealth terrarium, growbags are great for that and one bag can produce as much as 4 cakes

OfflineMikeHuntShrooms
enthusiast

Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: Granola]
    #2188718 - 12/18/03 10:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i have no closet and id like to do it from scratch.. the grow bags dont sound like too much fun to me :frown:  thanks for the help though

ill look into that stealth terrarium i never heard of it

--------------------
Click this link now!
http://venus.walagata.com/w/mikehuntshrooms/scream.jpg

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
    #2188778 - 12/18/03 10:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you looking for somthing to heat and incubate them at say 85 degrees? or are you just looking for somthing to store the jars in no matter what temp?

--------------------

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
    #2188791 - 12/18/03 10:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe I misunderstood - incubator (where you put your jars/casings while they're colonizing) or terrarium (where you put your cakes/casings while you pray to the fungal gods?
If you're talking about a terrarium, are you trying to hide it? If not, the answer is simple. Just a rubbermaid or sterilite container. Many have had success with a few cakes and perlite - you don't have to build anything. Sounds like you just want to try it out without going to any great lengths and decide if you want to take it any further. If I'm wrong, lmk.
baby

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

OfflineManureMaster
Pothead

Loc: NNY
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: babyshroom]
    #2195243 - 12/22/03 09:45 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

nansnook.com has very good ideas for growing chambers glove boxes and incubators

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2196306 - 12/22/03 08:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You don't really need an incubator at all, and you can fruit them in a cardboard box with a garbage bag liner. Drape another garbage bag on top of it to keep in moisture. A little perlite in the bottom might be a good idea.

Use the small white trash bags so some light can get through.

--------------------

Offlineluigi
journeyman
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2197223 - 12/23/03 07:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I've used 3 liter pop bottles with a wet paper towel for humitity.Just put the cake on a jar cover with a little vermiculite.Works great for one cake.
Good Luck!!!

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #2197420 - 12/23/03 10:45 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I incubated my jars in the box they came in with a heating pad set to low. I stuck a small thermometer in there and kept and eye on the temp and didnt let it get too high. I have also placed the box with the jars in it on top of my water heater.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: niteowl]
    #2197675 - 12/23/03 01:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you are just incubating some PF teks, most will colonize at room temperature in about a month. Or maybe a little more (its winter)  :rolleyes: If you are getting a whole syringe, and only want a couple of jars, use extra spore solution. That should speed up colonization. :syringe: Not to much though, under 2 cc. Once syringes get opened from the vendor, they should be used up as soon as possible, dont save it, use it!  :stoned:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2197780 - 12/23/03 02:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i used to fruit pint jars in one of those tiny buckets that have like patch concrete or cement in them. line the bottom with soaked perilite, keep it near some light, exchange air as often as possible, and dont expect large fruits. i also upgraded my bucket with a filter patch on the side... i swear it helped tremendously.

and if your too lazy for a bucket you can al ways fruit in vitro take of the lid of your jar and cover it with plastic wrap.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: iloveraving]
    #2198294 - 12/23/03 07:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

iloveraving said:
Once syringes get opened from the vendor, they should be used up as soon as possible, dont save it, use it!  :stoned:

really? i opened mines a month ago and only used 2ccs, do you think they are still good?

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: sensi]
    #2198301 - 12/23/03 07:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

they will still be fine,there is no reason whatsoever for using them straight away,store them in a cool dark place,they'll be good for atleast a year.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
Re: If I want to grow a small quantity to eat & to learn more... [Re: Hanky]
    #2198318 - 12/23/03 07:20 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

oh word they have been in my closet in a box and my closet doesnt have a heater so i guess im straight, cool- thanx

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation