Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
padilla case: citizens cannot be held as enemy combatants
    #2187557 - 12/18/03 12:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/18/padilla.case/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- In a setback to the Bush administration's anti-terrorism policies, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday that the president does not have the power to detain an American citizen seized on U.S. soil as an enemy combatant.

In a 65-page decision, a three-judge panel of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals voted 2-1 that the U.S. government must release Jose Padilla from military custody within 30 days.

"The government can transfer Padilla to appropriate civilian authorities who can bring criminal charges against him," the order said.

Padilla has been held in a South Carolina naval brig for the past year and a half.

"It's reassuring that constitutional protections that we are all entitled to as citizens were confirmed. And we look forward to meeting our client," said attorney Donna Newman.

The U.S. government could ask for a stay of the order or ask the full panel of the appeals court to hear the case.

In November, the appeals court panel cast doubt Monday on whether the Bush administration had the authority to designate Padilla an "enemy combatant" and detain him indefinitely without criminal charges. (Full story)

In a legal showdown likely to go to the Supreme Court, the government maintained that Bush's military moves in the war on terrorism were not subject to judicial review.

Padilla, 33, accused of being an al Qaeda operative, has been in federal custody since he arrived in Chicago, Illinois, in May 2002 on a flight from Pakistan. He was initially arrested as a material witness for the grand jury probe into the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The government maintains Padilla received explosives training in al Qaeda camps inside Afghanistan and plotted with the group to bomb hotels and gas stations, and to detonate a radioactive "dirty bomb" -- a conventional explosive laced with radioactive material -- inside the United States.

Defense attorneys maintain Padilla traveled to Chicago to visit his son.

The government never levied criminal charges against Padilla before President Bush declared in June 2002 that he represented a "grave danger to the national security" of the nation, reclassifying him as an enemy combatant, and transferring him to military custody, where he has remained incommunicado

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: padilla case: citizens cannot be held as enemy combatants [Re: afoaf]
    #2187583 - 12/18/03 12:22 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Judicial activism at its finest.

You liberals would be screaming howls of protest if that activism were turned around.

Bork was right.

Do you really think that just because a court decides something it must be correct? If so, you would have no problem with the Supreme Court's rendering of the Presidential election of 2000. I doubt that is the case.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: padilla case: citizens cannot be held as enemy combatants [Re: ]
    #2187638 - 12/18/03 12:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

it's not judicial activism...

it's defending the constitution.

are you really going to argue that a US citizen
should be held without being charged and without
being permitted to speak to a lawyer for 2 years?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: padilla case: citizens cannot be held as enemy combatants [Re: afoaf]
    #2188107 - 12/18/03 04:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah I don't see how the enforcement of the 5th and 14th amendments is "judicial activism"

???

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion