Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Impulse Sealer, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMagicalOrangutan
Curious Cat
Male

Truthfully, is it really realistic
    #21867128 - 06/28/15 05:18 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

For someone making minimum wage and living in the city with only 100 extra square feet to grow mushrooms with, to make like 500$ in net profit per month growing gourmet mushrooms? I live in Columbus, or at least I'm hopefully moving back there shortly

What's y'all opinion

--------------------
On the ground you lay, with your dogs you pray, at a neon hieroglyph sky you gaze

Hugging your mind, praying to survive, feeling the love of the hieroglyphs in the sky
We all need more love, and mainly less hate
Hate is the blind that covers the heart's eye
That makes the heart's eye cry
Locked deep away in the skies of our minds

It's all in the mind

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truthfully, is it really realistic [Re: MagicalOrangutan]
    #21867670 - 06/28/15 10:59 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

yeah you could do that, but you might need say $500 to invest in equipment and supplies.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truthfully, is it really realistic [Re: drake89]
    #21868880 - 06/28/15 04:42 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Follow link in sig.  Maths to answer that exact question!

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Offlineknomadic_niki
A mile high
 User Gallery

Loc: 6200' Colorado
Re: Truthfully, is it really realistic [Re: solarity]
    #21869040 - 06/28/15 05:22 PM (5 years, 8 months ago)

^^^solarity's journal has lots of good info. its totally possible, but be prepared to put some money into it in the beginning, and you m ight make mistakes and lose some at first. just don't bank on it until you know you've got it down

--------------------
My trade list

In search of sporeless oyster cultures

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truthfully, is it really realistic [Re: knomadic_niki]
    #21870999 - 06/29/15 12:30 AM (5 years, 8 months ago)

Your best bet for increasing profit is finding reusable, used, and recycled items. It may take longer to get set up but it will save in the long run. Source some free hardwood mulch or sawdust as a substrate or both! Also 10-20% free sourced cow manure or horse manure once you have your tek down would increase yields but while also increasing contam risk.  Many times a city waste department will have free mulch for anyone to take. 5 gal pails are great for storing materials, fruiting out of, are infinitely reusable and stackable! Since there stackable there is no need for grow room shelving! I sourced mine from a local bakery for 75 cents each, just took a while to clean off the labels and gunk inside, isopropyl alcohol works well for some label glue. Canning jars while not as efficient at utilizing space in your pressure cooker as bags are again infinitely reusable and require less equipment i.e. bag impulse sealer and preferably a flowhood. I've been starting up a small edibles grow and my plan is to only purchase gypsum in $8 40 lbs sacks used at 5% and $14 50 lbs sacks of milo (sorghum) or $11 40 lbs sacks of WBS for spawn used at ~5-10%.

One issue i can see with being in the city is bulk pasteurization. You would need to figure out where and how to pasteurize at least 5-10 gal of substrate at a time, preferably more to make your time more worth while. If you have room for a 55 gal drum that would be the way to go, hopefully your hot water heater can be set to around 160 and just use that for a heat source. Also what do you plan do do with the couple hundred pounds of spent substrate per month you will be producing? Are there any local gardens you can donate it to for composting or further propagation?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Impulse Sealer, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms