Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Need help with creative writing essay
    #2184221 - 12/17/03 01:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have a take-home final due tomorrow, and I'm stuck on the last essay question. This is for my Race & Ethnic Studies class. It's asking me to write an idea for a movie involving race and ethnicity in America. It says I have to "connect contemporary issues with themes in the history of race and ethnic relations in America." So basically, some of the themes I could touch on are affirmative action, bilingual education, civil rights, immigration, nativism, assimilation, reparations, stereotypes, racism, and ethnic identity. Normally I'm good at this creative writing stuff, but the creative juices just aren't flowing right now. Any ideas on what to write about?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Need help with creative writing essay [Re: silversoul7]
    #2184245 - 12/17/03 01:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well, you could always write about a tribe of Igloos who are forced to integrate a black family into their tighty knit, Alaskan society... :grin:

Maybe you could take some of these themes ard run them through some sort of gang story, or something? I dunno, I just woke up way too early and the Julebrus is still trying to slap me awake. :nut:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2184261 - 12/17/03 01:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Write a movie about an island where they send all racist people so they are forced to live and work together. Include scenes that show how stereotyping and racism are gradually earased as the inhabitants learn that they need to depend on eachother for survival. Also include bits that show how each culture shines through and benefits the group situation as whole, through their ethnic identity. And if that gets too boring, throw in some animals that dance around the island giving advice to those that listen, those that don't get a facefull of teeth.

That's the best I could come up with for now, good luck man.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2184359 - 12/17/03 02:30 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think I've got an idea now. I've just got to develop it. I'm going to do it about a Native American teenager living in the city who doesn't know anything about his tribe(Navajo) or its culture, but then starts to discover his heritage. I'm trying to decide what gets him interested in his ethnic identity. I'm thinking either he goes to college and takes a class where he learns about it or he hears some racist bad-mouthing his people or he meets some shaman or some shit like that. Which one should I go with? I'm thinking I could fit affirmative action somewhere in his college experience.

--------------------

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2184383 - 12/17/03 02:51 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

How about the shaman introduces him to ayahuasca. And he goes on a mind bending journey of self discovery on the streets of the city he lives in.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Need help with creative writing essay [Re: bert]
    #2184396 - 12/17/03 02:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, I was thinking of incorporating peyote into the story. He's Navajo, and Ayahuasca is a South American drug, so I think peyote makes more sense here. Anyway, I decided that the turning point where he starts examining his ethnic identity is when he gets accepted into a college that his best friend got rejected from, despite the fact that his friend had better grades. When he tries to comfort his friend, the friend cusses him out and says that he only got in because of his race(thus making the affirmative action connection).

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2184560 - 12/17/03 04:31 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, here's what I've got so far:

--Matt, a full-blooded Navajo, is brought up without much awareness of his cultural heritage. His friends are predominantly white, and he lives his life in much the same way as your average white suburban teen.
--Matt and his best friend Tim get in an altercation over college admissions, in which Tim says that Matt only got accepted because of his race. They stop talking to each other.
--Matt becomes deeply interested in learning about the Navajo culture. He reads several books, attends a Pow-Wow, and participates in a Peyote ritual at a Native American Church.
--He also learns about how the white man has oppressed his people throughout American History, and how the federal government continues to meddle in Indian affairs. This inspires him to become an activist in the American Indian activist movement, but also causes him to start hating and distrusting white people, especially his former friend Tim.
--One day, while protesting some injustice against his tribe, he sees Tim. When he asks Tim what he's doing, he says he's just supporting the cause. Tim then apologizes to Matt for the outburst that severed their friendship. Matt forgives him and they become friends again.

I still have another half page to go. How should I wrap up the story? Or should I add something in the middle?

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2184570 - 12/17/03 04:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

you don't seem to have listened to any of the comments so far soooo,

id say just sit down and write the thing, stop posting here and just do it  :grin:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Need help with creative writing essay [Re: TheDude]
    #2184574 - 12/17/03 04:43 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The original few comments weren't to my liking, and by the time bert gave me his advice, I had already dones some more work on it. I'm just looking for some help with writer's block. Even when I don't follow people's suggestions, sometimes those suggestions will get me thinking, and help get my creative juices flowing.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2184627 - 12/17/03 05:23 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
The original few comments weren't to my liking, and by the time bert gave me his advice, I had already dones some more work on it.  I'm just looking for some help with writer's block.  Even when I don't follow people's suggestions, sometimes those suggestions will get me thinking, and help get my creative juices flowing.

I still say go with the Eskimos. Think about it. It would be ethnic mismatch! You know how sitcoms eat that shit up! "Shuddupa your moutthhhhh!" :grin:

Gotta love The Simpsons.

Ja, sorry for not being able to really help you out, my creativity takes on its own little world, it doesn't work well for others.....

I just can't wait until I'm older and the music thing is relaxing and it will be time to conceptualize an animated series... oohh boy! :nut:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: