Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Maurice Merleau-Ponty, phenomenology
    #2183770 - 12/16/03 09:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I want to write a paper about Merleau-Ponty, does anyone have an interesting angle on his schtick?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Maurice Merleau-Ponty, phenomenology [Re: Malachi]
    #2184896 - 12/17/03 11:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Malachi said:
I want to write a paper about Merleau-Ponty, does anyone have an interesting angle on his schtick?

I'm going to nibble here only because I found a very interesting paper this morning with a search on Merleu-Ponty and psychedelics.

from The Mushrooms of Language by Henry Munn:
http://www.psychedelic-library.org/munn.htm

It is paradoxical that the rediscovery of such chemicals should have related their effects to madness and pejoratively called them drugs, when the shamans who used them spoke of them as medicines and said from their experience that the metamorphosis they produced put one into communication with the spirit. It is precisely the value of studying the use in so-called primitive societies of such chemicals that the way be found beyond the superficial to a more essential understanding of phenomena which we, with our limited conception of the rational, have too quickly, perhaps mistakenly, termed irrational, instead of comprehending that such experiences are revelations of a primordial existential activity, of "a power of signification, a birth of sense or a savage sense." (6)

(6). "In a sense, as Husserl says, philosophy consists of the restitution of a power of signification, a birth of sense or a savage sense, an expression of experience by experience which particularly clarifies the special domain of language." Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Le Visible et l'invisible (Paris: Editions Gallimard, 1964).

Psychedelic mind as a kind of savage sense! :cool:

I used to read this stuff. Can't be much more help tho. /shrug

There's a passage or two in The Phenomenology of Perception having something to do with psychedelics, if I remember, which I don't.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Maurice Merleau-Ponty, phenomenology [Re: ]
    #2184960 - 12/17/03 11:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I find it interesting that many of the shamanic cultures of the rain forest are turning away from their roots (except to promote ayahuasca tourism) in favor of western culture. Why would one turn away from spirit, wisdom and power unless the plants don't really bestow those things.

I see entheogens as neither demonic plants nor as saviours of mankind.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: Maurice Merleau-Ponty, phenomenology [Re: Swami]
    #2184995 - 12/17/03 11:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I find it interesting that many of the shamanic cultures of the rain forest are turning away from their roots (except to promote ayahuasca tourism) in favor of western culture. Why would one turn away from spirit, wisdom and power unless the plants don't really bestow those things.

I see entheogens as neither demonic plants nor as saviours of mankind.

Me neither. But savage sense... sounds so cool. :smile:

ah... lets see if the brain will work this moring

The turning away you speak of Swami, it seems to me, is a survival thing, an adaptation. All those cows need a place to graze. And in today's reality, the cows have far more raw power than the shamanic cultures. Something has to give and sadly for the shamanic cultures it ain't gonna be the cows.  :frown:

cows 21
shamanic cultures 0

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Maurice Merleau-Ponty, phenomenology [Re: ]
    #2185045 - 12/17/03 12:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

3rdPerson said:
The turning away you speak of Swami, it seems to me, is a survival thing, an adaptation. All those cows need a place to graze. And in today's reality, the cows have far more raw power than the shamanic cultures. Something has to give and sadly for the shamanic cultures it ain't gonna be the cows.  :frown:

Ja, why profit off of the rain forest without destroying it (and make far more money to use to survive sucessfully) when you can slash and burn it to produce land that will only sustain cows for a couple of years anyways, before it turns into desert and you are left with no way of supporting life at all....

Education kicks ass because it is the only thing that can bring someone to a new level.... can't really expect someone to join a game with no experience in it when they are competing with people who have been playing for centuries.... it's only fair to show them the rules, after all. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: