Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

"There are no ideas or aspects of politics........"
    #2183749 - 12/16/03 09:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"There are no ideas or aspects of politics I haven't explored with an open mind."

I'd have to say that anyone who harbors the belief that there are NO ideas or aspects of politics that they haven't yet explored should be thought of as nothing less than close-minded when it comes to politics.

But I probably only came to that conclusion because I am a pinko liberal terrorist who wakes up in the morning to spread my hate of America, right?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: "There are no ideas or aspects of politics........" [Re: ]
    #2183796 - 12/16/03 10:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Not even the world's biggest prick would say something like that.

:grin:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Remaining Few - Painted Air

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2183876 - 12/16/03 10:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fiend said:
I'd have to say that anyone who harbors the belief that there are NO ideas or aspects of politics that they haven't yet explored should be thought of as nothing less than close-minded when it comes to politics.

How can you make a judgement about the individual unless you know them and know what they have explored? You sound very closed minded in your assumption. There are many people who are quite a bit older than you and have done extensive research, soul searching and examination of their opinions.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: "There are no ideas or aspects of politics........" [Re: Evolving]
    #2183892 - 12/16/03 10:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

All the research in the world won't expose you to all the aspects of politics, since there are sure to be new political and economic theories that develop in the future.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: "There are no ideas or aspects of politics........" [Re: silversoul7]
    #2184050 - 12/16/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Please enlighten me about some of the 'new' theories(?) in politics. Slapping a new label on the same old bullshit doesn't constitute a new 'theory.' Was it a 'new' idea when the democraps started calling taxation 'investment'? If we call some people 'neo-cons' instead of imperialists, does that make their ideas new? Let's see, government control of... government funding of... laws against... imprisonment for... government partnership with business (used to be called facism)...

Here's an old quote for you, "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2184140 - 12/17/03 12:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The politicians aren't the ones that author new theories. They just use rhetoric to make what they're saying sound good. It's the intellectuals who come up with the genuinely new ideas. Do you honestly believe that everything's already been thought of?

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Re: "There are no ideas or aspects of politics........" [Re: silversoul7]
    #2184168 - 12/17/03 12:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Do you honestly believe that everything's already been thought of?

No, I'm sure there are and will be many utopians who will come up with a myriad of new justifications for the same old shit of trying to control their fellow man in order to create their concept of a better world.

Why don't you give an example of a genuinely 'new' theory in politics? Please explain some genuinely new principles that have been created in say... the last 20 years, or how about the last 30 years, maybe even the last 40 years. Give me some hope that through the coercive mechanism of the state, utopia is possible with all the right laws and sufficient confiscation of people's wealth...

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2184190 - 12/17/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not talking about utopia here, but you're right about there not being any new ideas in the last 30 years or so. Most of the great, influencial political/economic theorists lived in the 19th and early 20th century: Adam Smith, John Maynard Keynes, Karl Marx(like him or not, there's no denying his importance), and my favorite, Henry George. No political philosophy is perfect, but obviously there's going to be some you consider to be more on target than others. I know some libertarians like to think that Adam Smith had it all right, and therefore it doesn't need to be improved upon, but realistically, I'd say there's always room for improvement. I like Henry George's proposal because it proposes a compromise which will accomplish certain goals of both the left and the right, but in no way do I think he was 100% correct. I have no delusions of utopia, but as I said, there's always room for improvement.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2184642 - 12/17/03 05:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Calm down there lil' fella!

While I could have been more accurate had I said I'm unaware of any I haven't read and learned about, I'd have to say that starting a thread directed at a single sentence by a single poster on a single message board is... welll..

Incredibly lame.

Especially when a comment in the thread where that sentence appeared would sufficed.

Quote:

But I probably only came to that conclusion because I am a pinko liberal terrorist who wakes up in the morning to spread my hate of America, right?

Nah. I'd say it's more because your a bitter lil' guy who really needs to relax a little.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Re: "There are no ideas or aspects of politics........" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2184663 - 12/17/03 05:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I find this forum, above any other, has a soothing effect on my nerves.

But then again I  :spliff:  :mushroom2::syringe:

I don't have time for long drawn out responses but some of the reading here is particularly entertaining.

Except for Pinky.  His posts are very educational.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2184666 - 12/17/03 05:59 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
I find this forum, above any other, has a soothing effect on my nerves.

That doesn't seem to be the case for the originator of this thread.

Quote:

I don't have time for long drawn out responses but some of the reading here is particularly entertaining.

Except for Pinky. His posts are very educational.

They are educational, yet they are still entertaining.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#2184680 - 12/17/03 06:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

To an extent.

Some of his posts make me confront issues I would rather not think about. When that happens I am uncomfortable. I don't find that very entertaining.

I have my favorites in this forum. You are near the top of a very short list.

Anyway, my thread substance meter shows this thread barely moved the needle above zero.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2184681 - 12/17/03 06:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Anyway, my thread substance meter shows this thread barely moved the needle above zero.

Too true.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2185586 - 12/17/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Get a room you two.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2185632 - 12/17/03 05:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

There are many people who are quite a bit older

Ummmm..... OW!  :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion