Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
Question about stamets spawning comment
    #2183355 - 12/16/03 07:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

A couple days ago I was looking up something I should already know in GGAMM and I noticed he mentions that a)increased spawn volume is advantageous to fast substrate colonization (which has been discussed many times before) AND b) that grinding the spawn the day BEFORE spawning also aids in quick colonization....but he doesn't elaborate on this. I don't think I've ever seen part b) discussed here and am curious if anyone is grinding the day BEFORE spawning and what effect it has.

I have been mulling over the possible value of doing this and I can't think of anything that would be much different from spawning immediately after grinding. Thoughts anyone?

-MM

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: Question about stamets spawning comment [Re: majik_monkey]
    #2183448 - 12/16/03 07:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

it gives the myc time to recover.. that way, it takes off right away, as apposed as recovering then moving on to the substrate. lol least thats why i have always done it.... it does make a difference though

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Question about stamets spawning comment [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #2185251 - 12/17/03 02:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

chromecow is right. mycelium has proven to require a recovery period before it will begin colonisation at the optimal rate. stamets does cover this ground but i don't remember the specifics. seems like he mentions a 24-36 hour recovery period. anyway, the idea is to break the mycelium up BEFORE so that when it is introduced to what one would assume is freshly prepared THAT dAY substrate colonisation begins immediately. any manner of expediating colonisation is good as it further closes the window for competitors.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about stamets spawning comment [Re: majik_monkey]
    #2194181 - 12/21/03 07:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, but stamets doesn't mention "grinding". Rather he says to shake the spawn to seperate it into individual kernels. Then let sit for a day for 2 reasons
1. jars/bags with hidden contams will not likely recover overnight
2. substrate will colonize faster as mycelium will be actively growing at the time of spawning.

Use of the word "grinding" makes me think of old timers straw tek, nans spawn extender and the like where PF cakes are actually grinded in a blender or a food processor. This can't be done with grain and was therefore never mentioned in GG&MM.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Question about stamets spawning comment [Re: mycofile]
    #2194808 - 12/22/03 01:56 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I use bags, and I always break them up 24 hrs. before doing anything, and then let them recover. This ensures that they're 100% colonized inside and out, and no contaminants, like Myco said.

I smoosh it up really well, though, when spawning, to mix it well so each blade of straw has like 3 visible germination points, so it will have a certain recovery time, anyway. Just my way of doing things.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology