Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMycoMarty
Myco-Botanist
Male User Gallery
Fresno Mycophile
    #21803407 - 06/13/15 06:33 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Hello Shroomery community, My name is Nathan and I am hoping to get some counseling and advice on the best way to go about starting a Mycological Society in a county that doesnt currently have such a resource. Like Shroomery I would want the society to act as a central hub of information regarding the field of Mycology within the county jurisdiction. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: MycoMarty]
    #21807434 - 06/14/15 06:03 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Find other people with interest and start a meeting lol

I live in fresno and am interested! PM me on here to talk more about it.

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

OfflineAdolin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Toadstool5]
    #21807444 - 06/14/15 06:07 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

they have a cactus and succulent society. some people there might be interested in mushrooms too

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Adolin]
    #21812968 - 06/15/15 11:20 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Its so funny that you mentioned that. I was so going to join the fresno cactus and succulent society next month when i have the money!! :rofl:

Once i get running ill be able to supply shiitake 75, popcorn oyster, pheonix oyster, and bear's head tooth cultures/spawn/spores to any newbies like myself in the fresno area. Free of charge of course, gotta spread the love :heart:

So i guess i would be willing to join and help organize a group :shrug:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
    #21812976 - 06/15/15 11:23 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MycoMarty said:
Hello Shroomery community, My name is Nathan and I am hoping to get some counseling and advice on the best way to go about starting a Mycological Society in a county that doesnt currently have such a resource. Like Shroomery I would want the society to act as a central hub of information regarding the field of Mycology within the county jurisdiction. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I think siu carbondale has a mycology department.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

OfflineMycoMarty
Myco-Botanist
Male User Gallery
Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Shiithead]
    #21817605 - 06/17/15 03:07 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your guys feedback! Toadstool5 we should exchange email to better interface a conversation about potentially starting a Fresno Mycological Society. I know of at least one other willing Fresno mycophile. any other volunteers? you could be on the board of Representatives if you act now hahaha its only history we are making...  no big deal.

I also am a pretty avid succulent collector, I've recently started doing some experiments using different succulents for bio energy to make a simply DC power source, perhaps getting involved in the local succulent community could benefit that venture.

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing

Loc: San Francisco
    #21817658 - 06/17/15 03:34 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

If I still lived in Visalia I would have loved too haha

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Rebelutionsssss]
    #21817879 - 06/17/15 06:36 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I cant imagine a single mushroom would naturally grow in Fresno. I cant stand central California. Its hot as fuck, flat as hell, polluted, and riddled with crime. Whole area smells like cow shit, and nothing is grown but genetically modified corn maybe some almonds, and a few fruit trees

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing

Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Almond Flour]
    #21817914 - 06/17/15 06:49 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I really hated that place. Went from bum fuck farm land to beautiful San Francisco and I have to say I never looked back. Plus cyans grow up here which is fucking awesome! The bay areas just filled with life, I love it!

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#21817974 - 06/17/15 07:12 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Rebelutionsssss said:
I really hated that place. Went from bum fuck farm land to beautiful San Francisco and I have to say I never looked back. Plus cyans grow up here which is fucking awesome! The bay areas just filled with life, I love it!

Its a very beautiful area. However the over crowded aspect of it gets under my skin. And if you take a wrong turn off the 580 you end up in some sketchy ass areas of oakland :lol:

--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Edited by Almond Flour (06/17/15 07:13 AM)

OfflineMycoMarty
Myco-Botanist
Male User Gallery
    #21818967 - 06/17/15 12:34 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

yeah know a year or two ago I would have agreed with all the Fresno hatred. But honestly guys, I love it, there are tons of fungus that grow here in the spring and fall just like most non coastal regions, iv personally documented a decent handful in just a short period of time. And also Fresno is situated in a perfect center point from many awesome places. in less than 2 hours drive from my home in Sanger near the bottom of the Sierra Nevada foothils, I can be at Yosemite National park, sequoia national park, or Kings canyon national park. Contrary to popular belief, there is definitely little to no dairy production here, that happens more south towards Bakersfield, Kingsburg and basically Tulare county southward. The Kings and San Joaquin river flow through miles of the greater fresno county, along which there are more unique lakes than I can count. Pine flat, Shaver, Edison Huntington, Hensley, Millerton Courtright, Wishon, Bass lake, etc etc.
  sorry to have to be a dissenting opinion but I am proud of this region and I think much of its beauty gets covered up by bad press coverage. I think we can all agree that the media rarely has much to say unless it is about crime, conflict or fear because thats what sells.
It's unfortunate that more naturalists aren't drawn to the region, there is much bio diversity that goes undescribed because of this negative presupposition about the region. we need to look at the good and build upon it instead of seeing nothing but the bad and running away from it.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21818984 - 06/17/15 12:39 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Rebelutionsssss said:
Plus cyans grow up here which is fucking awesome!

I have found patches of Ps. allenii with more fruits than one person could possibly pick right here in the central valley.

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing

Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Ran-D]
    #21820108 - 06/17/15 06:17 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I would love to see pictures :thumbup: what part of Fresno?

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

#21820252 - 06/17/15 06:49 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know man, im sure it has its positives. But I am still astounded some settlers decades ago looked around fresno and said "This would be a great fucking spot for a town!"

Its hot, its flat, its boring, the pollution is horrid, and aside from the sierras it doesnt have much going for it.

--------------------

OfflineRebelutionsssss
Mdmazing

#21820419 - 06/17/15 07:32 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Back when I lived there I would have gone nuts without the sierras. It's amazingly beautiful up there but once you drop out of the mountains you can almost feel the pollution and heat :thumbdown: the Central Valleys just like a big bowl that keeps filling with more and more polluted air. I remember one day it was 115 and i almost cooked an egg on the sidewalk :lol:

--------------------
:
To define is to confine.

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

#21820529 - 06/17/15 07:53 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It's unfortunate that more naturalists aren't drawn to the region, there is much bio diversity that goes undescribed because of this negative presupposition about the region. we need to look at the good and build upon it instead of seeing nothing but the bad and running away from it.

So true! Its the people that ruin the valley. The sierra nevadas are a biodiversity volcano, especially in regards to fungi and flora. Its a love hate relationship for me :shrug:

Quote:

Thanks for your guys feedback! Toadstool5 we should exchange email to better interface a conversation about potentially starting a Fresno Mycological Society. I know of at least one other willing Fresno mycophile. any other volunteers? you could be on the board of Representatives if you act now hahaha its only history we are making...  no big deal.

I dont want to be in a position of power but I will always offer what resources and advice i have. I will send you a private message with my business email so we can start organizing.

I have a friend who might be interested too. He grows cacti, plants, and truly loves carnivorous plants so im trying to introduce him to mushroom cultivation.

If we do a good amount of advertising and start meetings on a set date and location people would start joining. Nobody wants to start a club but they all love joining a club.

--------------------
- Paul Stamets

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21820984 - 06/17/15 09:34 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Almond Flour said:
I dont know man, im sure it has its positives. But I am still astounded some settlers decades ago looked around fresno and said "This would be a great fucking spot for a town!"

Its hot, its flat, its boring, the pollution is horrid, and aside from the sierras it doesnt have much going for it.

Well, obviously there was no pollution back in those days. Back then the central valley was a lush paradise. The rivers were loaded with salmon and lined with grizzlies. All the farmland you see now would be grasslands and wildflowers with elk and antelope and all kinds of cool shit. There was also miles of riparian oak forests. When John Muir came over the Pacheco Pass he said the view of the central valley with the Sierras in the background was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

OfflineAlmond Flour
...get off my lawn!
Male

Re: Fresno Mycophile [Re: Ran-D]
    #21821258 - 06/17/15 10:41 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Quote:

Almond Flour said:

Well, obviously there was no pollution back in those days. Back then the central valley was a lush paradise. The rivers were loaded with salmon and lined with grizzlies. All the farmland you see now would be grasslands and wildflowers with elk and antelope and all kinds of cool shit. There was also miles of riparian oak forests. When John Muir came over the Pacheco Pass he said the view of the central valley with the Sierras in the background was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

That's crazy....I can't even  imagine

--------------------

OfflineMycoMarty
Myco-Botanist
Male User Gallery
    #21823918 - 06/18/15 02:34 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

almond flour, I am uploading all my local pictures in my Fresno area, if you want to know more look at my picture folder

OfflineMycoMarty
Myco-Botanist
Male User Gallery
    #21832625 - 06/20/15 02:38 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Couldn't have said it better myself! Basically it's for these exact reason that I am setting out to form a Mycological Society.

I quickly realized as an amateur Mycologist in the Fresno area that whenever I found an interesting specimen in the field I found it nearly impossible to find any information online that had anything at all to say about the local distribution of Fungi. That is primarily what I want the Society to function as. Like Ran-D said, this place is a bio-diversity Mecca.
There has been such a prevailing attitude of disgust regarding our region that no one thinks to do or find any groundbreaking research out here, what's worse is that when people do become interested in the biology of the area and want to dig a little deeper, they come up empty handed. Without a community of knowledgeable and like minded people, we get discouraged and too often abandon that interest.
  if you go to any major city, they have a Mycological society or association that almost always offers this sort of information. it's time Fresno has a similar resource.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract