Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Strom Thurmond is a daddy
    #2176415 - 12/14/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

OF A BLACK WOMAN!!!!!!!

Story

Woman Claims Thurmond As Father
Proof Is Forthcoming, Black Retiree Says

By Marilyn W. Thompson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 14, 2003; Page A01

A 78-year-old retired Los Angeles schoolteacher said she is breaking a lifetime of silence to announce that she is the illegitimate mixed-race daughter of former U.S. senator James Strom Thurmond (R-S.C.), once the nation's leading segregationist. In an interview, the woman said that Thurmond privately acknowledged her as his daughter and provided financial support since 1941.

Essie Mae Washington-Williams described her claims in a lengthy telephone interview last week, saying she protected Thurmond because of their mutual "deep respect" and her fears that disclosure would embarrass her and harm his political career. Thurmond, who died in June at age 100, said late in life through his office that Williams was a friend.

Williams, whose mother worked as a maid in the Thurmond family home as a teenager, has long been the subject of widespread speculation and has been pursued by journalists seeking her story for two decades. She always denied that she is Thurmond's daughter.

"I want to bring closure to this," said Williams, who plans to hold a news conference Wednesday in Columbia, S.C. "It is a part of history."

Williams did not provide definitive proof that she is Thurmond's daughter. Her attorney, Frank K. Wheaton of Los Angeles, said she is ready to submit to DNA tests if challenged by the Thurmond family. Williams said she has documents to validate her claim, including cashier's check stubs, mementos from Thurmond and a letter from an intermediary who delivered money from the senator. She declined to name the intermediary, citing privacy concerns.

Wheaton, of the Los Angeles firm of Scolinos, Sheldon and Nevell, said Williams will "go to whatever lengths we must" to prove her story. As a sample of her documents, she provided The Post with a copy of a 1998 Thurmond letter thanking her "for the nice Father's Day note you sent me." She said she did not want to release additional documents at this time.

Williams's claim comes as the attorney for the Thurmond estate, J. Mark Taylor, is overseeing settlement of the senator's estate in Columbia, S.C. Thurmond bequeathed cash and other items, including clothing and real estate holdings, to his three surviving children with estranged wife Nancy Moore Thurmond.

"We are not seeking to challenge the wishes of the late senator with regard to his estate," said Wheaton, who has been joined by Columbia-area attorney Glenn Walters in representing Williams. "Let's be emphatically clear: We are not looking for money. We are merely seeking closure by way of the truth for Essie Mae Washington-Williams."

Taylor said he has had no contact with Williams. Thurmond's will did not acknowledge Williams or her heirs. Williams has struggled financially over the years, and in 2001, court records show, she declared personal bankruptcy.

Strom Jr., Thurmond's son and a U.S. attorney, did not return a phone call seeking comment. In interviews over the years, Thurmond's sisters and staff have repeatedly said that Williams was only a family friend.

Williams said she met with Thurmond and received money at least once a year in sessions arranged by his Senate staff. In recent years, as the senator's health declined, she said, financial assistance was passed through a prearranged conduit, a Thurmond relative in South Carolina. Williams's attorney declined to specify the amounts of money she received, saying that information would be provided later.

Williams's account resurrects one of the oldest stories in 20th-century southern political folklore. Over the years, Thurmond had called the allegation that he fathered a mixed-race child too unseemly to warrant comment. Noted political writer Robert Sherrill described an alleged daughter without providing a name in a 1968 book. The Post identified Williams by her maiden name in 1992, in a lengthy account of Williams's relationship with Thurmond. The article reported that "both Thurmond and the supposed daughter have denied that he is her father, and no one has provided evidence that he is."

Recently, Williams said media pressure has intensified, with interview requests from every major television network. She declined, consistently calling Thurmond a "family friend" who had merely provided her with financial assistance.

"I did not want anybody to know I had an illegitimate father," said Williams, who has four grown children. "My children convinced me to tell the truth. I want to finally answer all of these questions . . . that have been following me for 50 or 60 years."

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any stranger the old racist Strom Thurmond has a illegitimate mixed daughter. That's fucking hilarious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60363-2003Dec12.html

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: Learyfan]
    #2179599 - 12/15/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I bet she'll be around to talk about it for a while.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2179632 - 12/15/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Someone actually had sex with Thurmond? Fucking gross.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2179700 - 12/15/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Since Thurmond is still alive, as of 3:43pm today at least, they can do a definitive DNA test and have actual proof, instead of slandering his name like they do with Jefferson.

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2179711 - 12/15/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Since Thurmond is still alive

:wtf:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2179779 - 12/15/03 02:09 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

^^^I'll second that.  :wtf:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: silversoul7]
    #2179924 - 12/15/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'll third it. Strom is deader than a door nail. His family is acknowledging her claim, so my guess is it is true.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2180127 - 12/15/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Toes up 6-27-03.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2180446 - 12/15/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

He's dead there slick.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2180500 - 12/15/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

enimatpyrt said:
Since Thurmond is still alive, as of 3:43pm today at least, they can do a definitive DNA test and have actual proof, instead of slandering his name like they do with Jefferson.

I just had to quote this to ensure that his foolishness is
preserved for future generations.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: afoaf]
    #2181269 - 12/15/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh, give him a break guys.

--------------------

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
    #2181837 - 12/16/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

a break of several cervical vertrbrae? Sure!

Seriously, though.

If the guys family admits she's a member of the goddamn family...

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2181852 - 12/16/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This isn't surprising in the least.

Racists are racists because they attribute a quasi-mystical power to race. How else can you explain hating and fearing another human being just because their skin has a different level of pigmentation than yours?

The flip side of that, of course, is that what you fear and hate is going to have a certain power over you, a mystical allure, a thrill of transgression. It's a very, very small step from obsessing about race to fantasizing about having sex with a woman from another race.

But still, the irony is sweet: the man who fought tooth and nail against the physical mixing of the races has himself mixed the races in a far more intimate way than just eating in the same restaurant. Three cheers for miscegenation!!!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2181900 - 12/16/03 07:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe he's not a racist. Maybe he supported segregation because he thought it was better for blacks as well as whites.

Ever think of that?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #2181904 - 12/16/03 07:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This falls under the "All politicians are hypocrites" category.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Strom Thurmond is a daddy [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2181922 - 12/16/03 07:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

The only way that would be better for blacks as well as whites is if one assumes that blacks and whites intrinsically cannot coexist. For that to be the case the differences between them would have to be so great as to be unbridgeable--i.e., impervious to the effects of a shared language, education, etc. In other words: intrinsic to their race and nothing else. That assumption is itself racist.

BTW, if you want to know how good segregation is for blacks, ask those who lived through it in South Africa.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2181945 - 12/16/03 08:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Whoa, don't hurt yourself there stretch, you just made several assumptions to reach another assumption. Sounds pretty flimsy to me.

Besides, I never said he was right, just that his intentions cannot be known. You didn't have to be a racist to resist segregation. I believe de-segregation was the best choice, but I do believe the process has degraded black culture somewhat. Either choice was bound to have consequences. De-segregation was just the best path because it simply made the system more difficult to abuse.

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2182038 - 12/16/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You didn't have to be a racist to resist segregation.

I believe you meant to say "You didn't have to be a racist to resist desegregation," no?

Please tell me how you define racism. Here is the definition I use, from Merriam Webster's 11th Collegiate:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Here's a 1948 quote from Thurmond:

"And I want to tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there?s not enough troops in the Army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the nigger race into our theatres, into our swimming pools, into our homes and into our churches.?

Here's another quote from the platform of his 1948 State's Rights Democratic Party:

"We stand for the segregation of the races and the racial integrity of each race; the constitutional right to choose one's associates; to accept private employment without governmental interference, and to earn one's living in any lawful way. We oppose the elimination of segregation, the repeal of miscegenation statutes, the control of private employment by Federal bureaucrats called for by the misnamed civil rights program. We favor home-rule, self-government and a minimum interference with individual rights."

I love the part about "indvidual rights"--you have rights, except the right to marry a black person if you're white (which is precisely what the "miscegenation statues" he mentions would have prevented you from doing).

Oh, I'm sure Thurmond thought he was doing the right thing, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a racist.

Also, please explain how desegregation has "degraded" black culture. I'm licking my chops to hear that one.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2182121 - 12/16/03 09:33 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Also, please explain how desegregation has "degraded" black culture. I'm licking my chops to hear that one.

I hope that doen't mean that you are offering me the oral sex. I would have to decline your generous yet homosexual offer.

Have you ever been to America? There are many different cultures from the many different peoples here. Perhaps you have heard of things such as "thug lifestyle" or "gangster rap". this is a substantially different variant of black culture that that of the mainstream. I believe blac culture may have suffered some damage during the de-segregation process. THat's not to say it was caused by the de-segregation process alone, it was a kind of deficit created by the inequity created by the segregation itself.

At that point in time things were far more volatile than they are now (inside America) it is not unreasonable that some people wanted to difuse the bomb slowly.

That is one example.

Blacks in America are psychologically more defined by society as an "oppressed minority". This exists primarily in the minds of black people, and is known as being prejudiced against oneself, or true reverse racism. Most of the problems in America because of race are because people put limitations on themselves, and define themselves because of their race moreso than from other people imposing limitations on to them.

That's not to say that genuine racism does not exist mind you, but it is simply background noise in the larger equasion. There is currently a net balance of real prejudice between the races (and cultures, something closeley related to, but nevertheless seperate from race).

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2182163 - 12/16/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Have I been to America? I live in New York, a stone's throw from Harlem.

What exactly are you trying to say? You're sort of tiptoeing around the issue. Are you saying that "gangsta rap" is an outgrowth of desegregation? Wouldn't "gangsta rap" have arisen closer in time to desegregation then? Black culture in the years following desegregation was incredibly vibrant. Perhaps you have heard of such people as Miles Davis, John Coltrane, James Baldwin, Nina Simone. Furthermore, gangsta rap is a product of northeast urban culture, not the south.

At that point in time things were far more volatile than they are now (inside America) it is not unreasonable that some people wanted to difuse the bomb slowly.

The segregationists had no intention of "diffusing the bomb slowly" as you put it. They wanted to maintain the status quo indefinitely. Furthermore, 90 years after the end of slavery to abolish segregation is slow enough, if you ask me.

Blacks in America are psychologically more defined by society as an "oppressed minority". This exists primarily in the minds of black people, and is known as being prejudiced against oneself, or true reverse racism. Most of the problems in America because of race are because people put limitations on themselves, and define themselves because of their race moreso than from other people imposing limitations on to them.

Sorry, but your outline of the sociology of black people in America is not quite satisfactory. Your assertion that "Most of the problems in America because of race are because people put limitations on themselves" is debatable, to say the least. Do you have some evidence to back this up? Polls, testimonials from black people about how whites don't discriminate against them as much as they discriminate against themselves, etc? I have no doubt that many black people have a number of internal psychological barriers to full integration and success within the predominately white society, but it's impossible to quantify the effects of this in relation to overt or subtle racism on the part of others, which is still very real.

Furthermore, you show no causal link between this supposed reverse discrimination and desegregation. Would blacks have felt LESS like an oppressed minority if they saw signs everywhere saying "No Negroes or Dogs" etc.? Kind of cuts against the grain of common sense, don't ya think?

Anyway, thanks for treating me that little bit of meandering free association, but I was looking for something a little bit more tightly argued.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale