Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblepanamared
State of Mind

Loc: Panama
problems with pins maturing
    #2180476 - 12/15/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Unfortunatly I've been having a reoccuring problem with pins and their maturity which I am fairly certain has something to do with my grow chamber.

The problems arises when the pins form and are noticable. The pins normally start off from the bottom of the cake which isn't anything unusual so I flip the cake over. What begins to happen is most of the pins grow upwards towards the sky but there are a renegade few that will point themselves downwards and continue to grow in that direction. I'm concerned about the pins maturing fully downwards onto the perlite. I'm certain this has to do with the cake sitting on a wet paper towel (so the cake doesn't sit directly on perlite, makes me feel better :grin:) and the light being reflected by the white perlite and white sides of the styrofoam container. What should I do about this? Should I even worry? Happen to anybody else?

--------------------
shrug dot aboleo dot net

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: problems with pins maturing [Re: panamared]
    #2180495 - 12/15/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Theres nothing to worry about, if they hit hte perlite then just wipe them off when you harvest, sometimes they just decide to grow in wierd directions, no worries just let them do their thing :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleicemen
Beginner
Re: problems with pins maturing [Re: Cloud9]
    #2180901 - 12/15/03 10:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Forgive my gardener if he is misunderstanding you but why did you decide to flip the cake? If you have a few cakes my gardener suggests leaving one alone and not flipping it. See how it works out as an experiment. I think your confusing the mush, as its growing up then you flip and it still continues to grow in that direction.

As you know light guides the mush. My gardener has noticed that light can change the direction of growth even when the mush is no longer in pin formation. Say a mush is growing down. If you provide light a few hours a day for a few days they should turn and head towards your light location. If you prefer to flip the cakes then light can help reguide them, make sure you give them a few hours of light though...

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: problems with pins maturing [Re: panamared]
    #2181459 - 12/16/03 02:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It doesn't matter which way they grow. If you want good looking speciments that grow straight up, get rid of all the white stuff in your terrarium. With the reflection, some may become disoriented and just pick to grow this way. This will not effect the quality though.

The reason they start growing from the bottom is because that is where the most water is. If you notice that these are water logged when mature, raise them up. Once again, this is, for the most part, just for aesthetics.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation