Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemindfunk1
interested party
Loc: Tomahawk County
stalling a casing
    #2180131 - 12/15/03 06:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

hey shroomers!!

I've had three successful casings in a row, thanks to your help!

I have two casings (3x 1/2 pints with 60/40 - one Amazon, one Ecuador) that just finished their first flushes.  Is there a way to 'stall' their growth for 3 weeks while I am away for the holidays?  Such as applying another thick casing layer and refrigerating?  Or will it definitely be a goner after 3 weeks?  If so, that's fine - I just don't want to have to scrap them if I don't have to

oh, and BTW, the Ecaudor casing was a mutant-fest.  There were huge clumps of stem growing in crazy directions and I even had a few stems start growing up off of caps instead of down! Anybody else experience this with Ecuador, or are these just inbred? :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippinSpinners
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: stalling a casing [Re: mindfunk1]
    #2180145 - 12/15/03 06:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

3 weeks is a long time when it comes to this hobby. Some will say you could toss it in the fridge, but if u get one pin while it's in the fridge, the whole casing will rot. My suggestion would be to colonize some jars before you go back home and case the substrate when u return.

GL

--------------------
When I use the name "I", I'm talking about my friend of a friend named "Ivan".

--Mr. Nice Guy

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: stalling a casing [Re: TrippinSpinners]
    #2180193 - 12/15/03 06:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I've never done it myself but I'm faced with the same situation in a week. I've read that it can work to put it in the fridge. I recommend you do it 2-3 days before you leave, then right before you leave make sure there are no pins. After 2-3 days at 40 degrees F, I don't think anymore pins are likely. If it rots, throw it away when you get back, but I don't think there is too high of a chance for that. Seal it with plastic and or ziplock bag or whatever to protect the rest of your fridge in case that happens.

Regardless...make some more jars. Won't it be nice to innoculate when you leave, and you'll be at home not stressing about them or anything, and then return to a whole bunch of fully colonized jars....that'll be nice. :smile:

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Offlinemindfunk1
interested party
Loc: Tomahawk County
Re: stalling a casing [Re: jong21]
    #2185621 - 12/17/03 05:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

thanks, all

I decided to scrap the casings and toss them in the backyard - they already gave me a good flush.

I'll be attempting my first innnoc with homemade syringes before I leave, so hopefully I'll come home to find a nice surprise in my closet!

Happy Holidays!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation