Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChillyShed
ThaFungusNurturer
Loc: Mechanicsburg, PA
why oh why?
    #2177414 - 12/14/03 07:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I had just birthed my cake 5 days ago and put it in the fruiting chamber for the birthday cake method with perlite and water (1 inch:.25 inch) and i think the cake got waterlogged, produced mold at the bottom. I am defintely going to throw it out but it's just such a bummer. I was hoping that I would be seeing pinheads in a few days. This was one of the only treasure coast jars which survived for so long and now i have like 7-8 b+ left. I had one b-plus cake i nthe same fruiting chamber about a foot away from the now thrown away contaminated cake. Should I make a new casing and move it in there? Does anyone think I should possibly give up on the birthday cake method and try a 3-4 b+ cake casing. Can anyone give me advice, I read a lot of FAQ's and took a lot of precautions and I don't know where I went wrong which leaves me flustered about cakes which are yet to come. Thanks for input.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: why oh why? [Re: ChillyShed]
    #2177619 - 12/14/03 09:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thats interesting that the cake contaminated.

Dont worry, strains aren't that big of a deal. As long as you have some healthy cakes, you're fine.

I personally think the cake method is a big waste of time. I like the PF tek casing method for begginers because you really can get some great flushes.

Make a casing! Take 4 jars, cut the cakes up horizontally (like you would a cucumber) so they are in 1-2 inch slices. Then layer them into a container which is NOT transparent (dont want light getting in). Use some moist vermiculite on the top and incubate until you see some mycelium coming through.

Then you can set into fruitng conditions. There are tons of FAQs on casings here in the cultivation FAQ (click up there near the top).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation