Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

knife sharpeners
    #21769732 - 06/06/15 10:04 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

which knife system do you guys use? 

been looking at the spiderco knife sharpener for my blades but im new to all this. for the last 20 years ive had someone else sharpen all my blades, but he is no longer able to do so.

what do you guys recomend? i will be using it for just about every blade in the house.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: knife sharpeners [Re: rackem]
    #21769740 - 06/06/15 10:07 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I was looking for a good system for pocket knives, combat knives, hunting knives, aka just about any knife. Something universal. Cuz I hate using stones..

--------------------
Youve Met With A Terrible Fate, Havent You?

Click here to enter this weeks Ban Lottery!!
In Crust We Trust

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Zombi3]
    #21769801 - 06/06/15 10:20 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

any certain ones pique your interest?

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21769838 - 06/06/15 10:28 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

No not really. Nothing specific. :rolleyes:

--------------------

In Crust We Trust

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#21769869 - 06/06/15 10:34 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

why dont you like stones>

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #21769871 - 06/06/15 10:36 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Im just no good with stones. Ive been meaning to get my grandfather to show me his technique though, his hunting knife I inherited from him is razor sharp and he eclusively uses stones. If I could sharpen like him id use stones everyday...

--------------------

In Crust We Trust

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#21769925 - 06/06/15 10:49 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

get to learning before its too late man..

thats what happened with the family friend that was sharpening mine.. old indian dude, he now cant hold the blade to sharpen them.. wish i woulda taken the time to learn from him.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: knife sharpeners [Re: rackem] * 1
    #21776391 - 06/07/15 10:17 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I have me one of these for general knife sharpening, good for mobile or out and about

But for at home sharpening, I always prefer a Japanese waterstone similar to this.
Nothing is capable of giving you as sharp and fine of an edge as a Japanese water stone, I'm pretty sure its unmatched.
There are much more expensive sets of stones but something with two grits like that should be sufficient for most people's needs.
The better ones have like 3-4 different grades... something like this.. a bit more pricey..

As for technique.. it just takes practice.. start on some old or really dull blades you don't really care if you mess up.
It's not really that difficult.. it's just all about finding the right angles and maintaining a steady flow and very light pressure.
Here's a very good and thorough demonstration:

and this

It's what all the sushi masters use to sharpen their knives and those mofos have the sharpest knives around.

--------------------

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #21777309 - 06/08/15 04:37 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
I was looking for a good system for pocket knives, combat knives, hunting knives, aka just about any knife. Something universal. Cuz I hate using stones..

OP fastest easyest way.   and if you want even sharper get a diamond steel or stone. I'm very particular about sharp knives. And IMHO this is the best way to put an edge that will hold on a knife and best part is Accusharps cost less than 10$. and are small enough to fit in your pocket. No oil no water. Every half decent restaurant kitchen has at least one or two of these.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

OfflineMental Taco
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hell
    #21777329 - 06/08/15 04:48 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I normally just use files.
When making new knives ill start out on a bench grider to get the basic shape down then start with a rougher file and slowly work my way down to my finest file. Little bit time consuming but i always get a very nice edge. Carbon steel ftw.

--------------------
Did you not know that the royal hunting grounds are always forbidden?

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Mental Taco]
    #21790790 - 06/10/15 10:35 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

good info, thanks guys.

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#21800558 - 06/13/15 02:36 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Might I interest you in getting some Japanese whetstones? Really they cost you some but they last a lifetime.

I mostly use one thats a double 400 grit/1000 grit and one thats a double 1000 grit/3000 grit.

You only use the 400 on super dull blades and abused blades. Its the 1000 you want, with good technique you can get a knife as sharp as any storebought knife on it.  3000 grit, wow, that can get it STUPID SHARP. About as sharp as a razorblade if your technique is good. Resting the knife on the side of a piece of paper slices it without crumpling.

If you want superduper theres stones up to 12000 grit but for anything but shaving 3000 is fine and for normal use 1000 is just swell, so a 400/1000 stone makes a great first purchase.

Buy a fullsized stone, you want to be able to work it in long strokes.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineGrefa
Lab Technician
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Asante]
    #21982147 - 07/22/15 09:36 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200615233_200615233?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power%20Tools%20%3E%20Sharpeners%20%2B%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Work%20Sharp&utm_content=41587&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=41587&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHMFa-6OTzOGI1GfjOdZZbh-jM4CdV2Ct7HhrLCtEHYAaAhKc8P8HAQ

here is the sharper version

I got one of these, its a beast, u can change the belts, I sharpen EVERYTHING with it, variable degree sharpening, foolproof. Even took some dull/damaged serrations off the bottom of a blade with no problem. Sharpened a buck knife with it, big blade, like the one in the movie Scream, and that mother with cut through a phone book.

--------------------
Everything I say is a bullshit lie created to try and win over the minds of alien beings, all the pictures I posted were taken from Google images.

Noob Forum

Easy Agar Tek

Edited by Grefa (07/22/15 09:39 PM)

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Grefa]
    #21982468 - 07/22/15 10:57 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Grefa said:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200615233_200615233?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power%20Tools%20%3E%20Sharpeners%20%2B%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Work%20Sharp&utm_content=41587&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=41587&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_rytBRDVhZeQrbzn_q0BEiQAjnbSHMFa-6OTzOGI1GfjOdZZbh-jM4CdV2Ct7HhrLCtEHYAaAhKc8P8HAQ

here is the sharper version

I got one of these, its a beast, u can change the belts, I sharpen EVERYTHING with it, variable degree sharpening, foolproof. Even took some dull/damaged serrations off the bottom of a blade with no problem. Sharpened a buck knife with it, big blade, like the one in the movie Scream, and that mother with cut through a phone book.

That's like a serial killers Dremel.:lol:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

InvisibleDankman
Headphone Wizard
Male User Gallery

#22210597 - 09/09/15 02:21 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

The spyderco sharpmaker is great for keeping your knives sharp but if you have a dull knife and have to re-profile the edge, it could take a while.  I use an Edge Pro sharpener.  It is expensive but now there are some much cheaper knock offs available.  It holds the angle for you making it easy to get mirror polished edges.

If you think you can learn freehand then that would be the way to go.  Get some DMT diamond plates or some japanese waterstones and you'd be set.

--------------------
"There was a dirty rainbow coming out of the fucking toilet" - 40 Oz.

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Loc: England Flag
Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Dankman]
    #22210603 - 09/09/15 02:30 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

I Use something like this but a lot bigger.

Got to keep my machetes sharp an flick knives at all time

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Dankman]
    #22214456 - 09/09/15 09:26 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

i have reprofiled a knife on the sharp maker. it does take a long time and with patience, it does come out how i want it to.

HOWEVER, now that i have been getting more into it and putting my work up against some old timers that make their own knives... i have a shitload to learn.

and yes.. true whetstones will be my next step.

--------------------

OfflineBugler Boy
Cultivar

Loc: In your head
    #22215800 - 09/10/15 07:51 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
The mushroom speaks: '"I am old, older than thought in your species, which is itself fifty times older than your history. Though I have been on earth for ages I am from the stars. My home is no one planet, for many worlds scattered through the shining disc of the galaxy have conditions which allow my spores an opportunity for life... How the hypercommunication mode operates is a secret which will not be lightly given to man. But the means should be obvious: it is the occurrence of psilocybin and psilocin in the biosynthetic pathways of my living body that opens for me and my symbiots the vision screens to many worlds"

Invisiblethecoloradokid
Stranger

#22216380 - 09/10/15 11:01 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

rackem said:
which knife system do you guys use? 

been looking at the spiderco knife sharpener for my blades but im new to all this. for the last 20 years ive had someone else sharpen all my blades, but he is no longer able to do so.

what do you guys recomend? i will be using it for just about every blade in the house.

I use a wet stone for my filet knives, for my gutting knives I use an oil stone and for all others I use a wet stone shaped like a ... well ... te only thing I can think of to compare it to is a vibrator. It is round and long ... lol. No pun intended.

At any rate these three sharpeners work great for me.

--------------------

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Bugler Boy]
    #22223451 - 09/11/15 06:22 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

i am tempted to order that. i was taking a real close look at that lansky  before i ordered the sharp maker.

what detered me from ordering it was the reviews (i actually read them like an idiot) and ordered the sharp maker.

what makes that particular sharpener stand out to you?

--------------------

OfflineGeoDMT
Still Trippin
Male

#22243656 - 09/15/15 10:12 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I've been really impressed with the electric ones that use the small belt sander belts, up to very high grit.  Cabelas has a super nice one that has the correct guides for general cutlery, as well as one for putting the first edge on a hand made knife or tools, I would opt for the general use one.  Friend of mines got one that is the only sharpener I'll take to my skinning, fillet and every day carry knife. 
One bad sharpening job can kill a knife forever depending on "how badly" its done.  Careful.

All this is coming from the guy(myself) who sharpened everything with a stone for most of his childhood and a good chunk of his adult life.  I'm totally sold on proper sharpening being the key to a knife lasting a long time.

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: GeoDMT]
    #22243848 - 09/15/15 10:58 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, ive seen some of the most experienced knife sharpeners roll to an electric stone... i really dont do much kitchen knives minus my own. i only sharpen blades that are really made for the field.

on the other note of your statement, if you take care of it, it wont die, well, until you run out of steel.

--------------------

OfflineGeoDMT
Still Trippin
Male

#22243940 - 09/15/15 11:23 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

It's so hard to get a really GOOD stone anymore, I was still using the last good one I found up till about a year ago, even though it was in three pieces...
It's just easier to use the electric, and as much as I hate to admit it, they do a better job, and they do that better job way quicker!  That said, these electric jobs aren't something to rip out of the box and just assume that you're an expert if you've never been around one, nothing like putting your very own special "custom" contour on a blade made by an expert that can't be replaced for less than $400, or destroying that fletching blade you've skinned countless deer, elk and so on with.

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: GeoDMT]
    #22243979 - 09/15/15 11:37 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

i have heard the same shit over the years. the dude that can no longer sharpen my knives, always was mentioning the fact that he had to keep up the stones he used in his electric sharpener more than anything else.. he kinda took pride in that i suppose. he was always saying they would get out of round in a hurry.

i found a new knife guy as of late.. next time i need to pick something up from him for work, i will be sure to see what his method is, i have 2 of his knives, they are better than anything i can get to.

--------------------

OfflineGeoDMT
Still Trippin
Male

#22244010 - 09/15/15 11:49 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'll have my friend put his electric to mine if I'm in a pinch, if not theres a guy who has a small blackpowder only shop(he's gifted to say the least with blackpowder equipment and knives), he's an older man and rarely open but if I can catch him there, I have him do every knife I have on me, he uses a bigger belt sander type rig, but damn, he's the best I've found and I've tried several people.  I won't even send Benchmades back to them for sharpening anymore, I don't know what happened, but over the past couple of years they've failed to sharpen anything well, and failed to sharpen two of mine at all that I sent in.  I'm not the benchmade fan I once was either though anymore, not due to their sharpening practices, mostly a design thing...

Point I was getting at, if you find someone or something that does a fine job, go with it as long as you can!

Edited by GeoDMT (09/15/15 11:50 PM)

OfflineBugler Boy
Cultivar

Loc: In your head
Re: knife sharpeners [Re: rackem] * 1
    #22244418 - 09/16/15 05:18 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

rackem said:
i am tempted to order that. i was taking a real close look at that lansky  before i ordered the sharp maker.

what detered me from ordering it was the reviews (i actually read them like an idiot) and ordered the sharp maker.

what makes that particular sharpener stand out to you?

I use the lansky to sharpen hunting knives. The best thing about it is there is the preset angles so you can sharpen on the same edge over and over and not re-make your edge and wear down the blade that much faster, plus it stays sharp a lot longer. Once you get good with the system (which takes like no time at all) you can sharpen a blade back to factory sharp in just a couple minutes. Theres a reason lansky is one if not the top stone sharpening systems.

--------------------
The mushroom speaks: '"I am old, older than thought in your species, which is itself fifty times older than your history. Though I have been on earth for ages I am from the stars. My home is no one planet, for many worlds scattered through the shining disc of the galaxy have conditions which allow my spores an opportunity for life... How the hypercommunication mode operates is a secret which will not be lightly given to man. But the means should be obvious: it is the occurrence of psilocybin and psilocin in the biosynthetic pathways of my living body that opens for me and my symbiots the vision screens to many worlds"

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

Re: knife sharpeners [Re: Bugler Boy]
    #22248346 - 09/16/15 09:13 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

you are making a damned strong argument there.

--------------------

OfflineGeoDMT
Still Trippin
Male

#22258644 - 09/18/15 11:55 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

aright, so I bought a new Kershaw automatic today, much better looking than the last auto I got by them.. Anyway, it was borderline dull as hell from the factory...
I went through the different grits on the belt driven sharpener and damn, that things crazy sharp, not to mention very shiny...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder