Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Mycobags, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespl_punk
Stoner ReakingHavoc

Loc: PURGATORY
Mycobag & Humidity Chamber
    #2176965 - 12/14/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 18 hours ago)

Ok got my grain-based mycobag a few days ago, The Golden Teacher spore syringe should arrive soon. I'm also using two stacked Rubbermaids w/ about 2.5 inches of water in the bottom one and a 150watt aquarium heater on the bottom. Here are my questions:

Q1: I'm having trouble getting the temp in the top rubbermaid above 74 degrees F, my humidity level also reads "LL" which means below 20% humidity. I'm using a radioshack themometer/hyrdometer, and was told I could just stack the two containers and add water and the heater. But I think I have to modify the top container to allow more heat and humidity in there. What do I do to get my temps and humidity higher w/o buying more supplies.

Q2: I read you can fruit the mycobag inside the bag, or puncture the bag on the side at the substrate level, or cut of the top above the substrate level to increase fruiting yelds, which technique is the best?

Q3: Which fanning method for my setup will supply enough air exchange for collonization and fruiting? Timer fan, manual fan? any takers?

This board had been great w/ all the info, it's my first grow, so I'm trying to learn from other ppls mistakes, please help me perfect it.

Thanks,

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: Mycobag & Humidity Chamber [Re: spl_punk]
    #2177045 - 12/14/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

spl_punk said:
Ok got my grain-based mycobag a few days ago, The Golden Teacher spore syringe should arrive soon. I'm also using two stacked Rubbermaids w/ about 2.5 inches of water in the bottom one and a 150watt aquarium heater on the bottom. Here are my questions:

Q1: I'm having trouble getting the temp in the top rubbermaid above 74 degrees F, my humidity level also reads "LL" which means below 20% humidity. I'm using a radioshack themometer/hyrdometer, and was told I could just stack the two containers and add water and the heater. But I think I have to modify the top container to allow more heat and humidity in there. What do I do to get my temps and humidity higher w/o buying more supplies.

humidity isnt important during incubation, if you modify the upper chamber just punch a few dozen holes in it with several being in the center, just keep playing with the temp control but an exact 74 is not that important, anywhere in the 70's is fine just dont allow it to get above 90

Quote:

Q2: I read you can fruit the mycobag inside the bag, or puncture the bag on the side at the substrate level, or cut of the top above the substrate level to increase fruiting yelds, which technique is the best?

fruit in the bg for the first flush, it will give you ample time to set up your terrarium and allow for humidity adjustments.

Quote:

Q3: Which fanning method for my setup will supply enough air exchange for collonization and fruiting? Timer fan, manual fan? any takers?

on an in-bag flush it's not important, you need to decide if you want a no or low maintainence set up, if so, an air pump with an inline filter and an airstone in a jar of water works well, the water helps with humidity and a secondary filter. use H2O2 instead of water and it releases oxygen, use a plastic tub for a terrarium with a couple of filtered holes about an inch over the perlite and you can have a no maint. set up.

browse through the FAQ and some old posts and youll find alot of info thats quite helpfull

This board had been great w/ all the info, it's my first grow, so I'm trying to learn from other ppls mistakes, please help me perfect it.

Thanks,

Invisiblespl_punk
Stoner ReakingHavoc

Loc: PURGATORY
Re: Mycobag & Humidity Chamber [Re: Granola]
    #2178538 - 12/15/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 6 hours ago)

Terrarium? Perlite? new words to me, too bad the SEARCH function needs greasing, mabie I've been using it too much!

Anyway, can anyone who's tried this rubbermaid technique or even a mycobag setup gimme any pointers? Mabie some pics too? I'm hiding this thing in the closed by my computer, the room is blue, dark, and cold, I live in SD so it always cold, room temp is like 64, is this too cold to house the unit? I put a hole in the wall for a power strip for my aquarium heater and bulb, I don't wanna add any pumps or something that always making noticible noise. I don't work till fri, and should be getting the spores any day now. I wanna gett'm going but don't want to mess it up.

Any design ideas about rubbermaid modifications are welcome, alog w/ fruiting techniques for mycobags, and low maintainence fanning techniques too.

Thanks!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Mycobags, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation