Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, Sublime

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
having trouble finding my own sound
    #2176211 - 12/14/03 06:57 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I (we) had a fairly original sound in my old metal band mainly because of odd time and three guitars and vocalists :grin:

But now me and one original band mate just have a jam-band with some others buddies, where we play some of our old songs some of theirs, alot of covers( for fun and to get locked in) and of course just free jam..

My favorite thing though is just introducing ideas and letting the group filter and add to them, it is a different way of writing then in the old days, where it was mainly up to the individual.

But we are yet to be definable( which is a magical yet somewhat uneasy time)
are covers range from Led Zeppelin-Green Day
Alice in Chains-Pearl jam
we do alot of harmonizing and free blues jams..
very little metal..now that I think about it.

Thhis band is a extension of our old band which the idea was a ever evolving group open to jam with anyone/ no limit to the amount of people on stage, more about exploring(through music and otherwise) the time we have.

This is kinda why I have had to shed the "metal" title, I feel like I am running out of room to evolve with it.

when I make music I just let it happen now..anything can come out whether it sounds like The Grateful Dead or Primus or nothing even remotely familiar( which maybe is what I strive for)

I sometimes wish I had no influences and was  a music virgin like in 2112.. finding a guitar.." what can this strange device be..when I touch it..it gives forth a sound..its got wires that vibrate and give music..what can this thing be that ive found"

I just learned Santeria(Sublime) and incorparated the basics of reggae..another strange piece to the puzzle.
has anyone else felt this way?..it is very frustrating sometimes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: having trouble finding my own sound [Re: shaggy101]
    #2176214 - 12/14/03 07:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shaggy101 said:
I sometimes wish I had no influences and was  a music virgin like in 2112.. finding a guitar.." what can this strange device be..when I touch it..it gives forth a sound..its got wires that vibrate and give music..what can this thing be that ive found"

Hehehehe, I truly hate that whole concept that they did.... I mean, Rush kicks ass and everything, but I mean, come on... :grin:

Myself, we are developing our own sound just within the confines of metal, and I find it interesting enough.. it is hard nowadays to come up with something truly original but still strongly connected to the bands before you, and to get people to love it.. of course, I feel like I have the pieces of the puzzle, and we are now putting it together.. :grin:

All I can say is speed metal meets Gotenburg and black metal meets psychadelic-y music (TOOL being the main influence in that category). IN FLAMES, METALLICA, Opeth, TOOL, Dark Tranquillity, Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Megadeth, IRON MAIDEN, oh my!  :nut:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: having trouble finding my own sound [Re: shaggy101]
    #2176896 - 12/14/03 03:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

maybe the fact that you and your bandmates are open to everything and are doing covers of such a wide variety is hindering you?
Usually jamming out eventually develops a sound...
Maybe you can all sit down and see where you want to go, what kind of style you want to aim for. Then focus your covers a little more and that should lead you right. If you want to keep this project so open, that's totally cool-it's your band. Ben Harper has SO many different styles and pulls em off really well. You can blend any style you want, or trash em all and make a new one.

I am in a funky jazz hip hop band-I'm on guitar, there's also Bass, Drums, and an MC. I'm into some hip hop but before now I've never really gotten into Jazz or Funk, so I was kind of writing music for a purpose I was not familiar with. This I found was only a blessing (even tho it took a little while to develop a sound) because I didn't have much expectation or anything to compare to, except maybe using ideas from Tribe Called Quest or the Roots. Either way it's a lot of fun.

Do what makes you happy. If you feel that you were too restricted, then keep expanding and blending. Consistency to an extent is great, but so is diversity. If you feel that you let things happen too much, try focusing a little more in a few areas.
Good luck man! I hope this helps.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: having trouble finding my own sound [Re: Blastrid]
    #2176952 - 12/14/03 04:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Blastrid is right.
You've got part of it correct.. the part where you are open to anything and will jam on whatever. That's cool. But if you're passive about it, you will just linger in one perpetual state of "just jamming on whatever"..not aiming for anything in particular.. just playing music.

That's cool and all, but generally, it will not challenge you to improve. You need a vision, a goal. For my band, we started with the intention of "Creating mind-blowing heavy metal", after playing for several years together, that goal changed to "always challenge ourselves to improve our playing abilities and creative abilities". That's a good goal, because there is no ceiling to hit.. you can always improve, no matter how good you are. This led to us branching out our styles, learning some celtic music (very hard), classical guitar, and even some jazz and fusion. After doing all this, by the time we got back to playing metal... we were at an even greater level than before.

So in my experience, it is GOOD to play many different styles, and improv on those different styles. BUT, you need to have at least a general idea of what kind of music YOU want to CREATE. In the end, it should all be about music that you enjoy playing, and listening to. It should be fun. But you must constantly challenge yourself to work on 'problem areas' and evolve your style. If you play the same ten songs over and over, you're not going to learn anything new. You must always be learning new things, working on your weak spots, perfecting your individual 'style'... we all have at least one.

Personal style is a combination of many things. Your influences, the music that you create in your head, what you are used to playing, and certainly, a very important one... your skill level. Even if you have the most amazing symphonies going on in your head, if you suck at the guitar, you can't transfer it from your head to your amp. The key is, as always, practice, practice, practice. The better you are at the guitar, the more fluid you are with it, the easier it is to develop your own style, hands down. And that's what it all comes down to... how efficiently you can transfer the music from your head, to your fingers, to the guitar, or just let loose and let creativity take charge, without having to worry about not being able to comprehend what you're doing. It all takes experience.

Good luck man. Feel the music.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, Sublime

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media