Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBumbaclotjohnson
Sequoia Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Pumpkin thread
    #21756217 - 06/03/15 06:08 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know how many pumpkin growers we got out there but I imag there's a few. I thought maybe it'd be cool to have a place to post pictures and discuss growing techniques, ect. I'm not really sure how well this'll go but it's worth a shot. So to start it off here's a pic of one of the giant pumpkins I'm growing in my garden.

--------------------
FREE PRINTS

I lie a lot on the internet.

:mushroom2:    trade list      :mushroom2:
                                          :noargument:                                                                            :god2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: Bumbaclotjohnson]
    #21756253 - 06/03/15 06:34 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

darn, my soil proved to be deficient in so many things that one application of fertilizer was inadequate. Your soil puts my sandhills to shame.

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #21756260 - 06/03/15 06:36 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I cant plant a garden this year :what2:

I am living with my dad who has no desire for a vegetable garden despite his huge gorgeous property.

If I was in my apartment Id be all over this. Pumpkins are fun to grow! So are watermelon.

They can withstand a lot of nitrogen until flowering is innitiated.

They like a lot of water also im pretty sure.

Dam I miss growing :sad:

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

OfflineBumbaclotjohnson
Sequoia Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: Zombi3]
    #21756328 - 06/03/15 07:10 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

It's mostly just alpaca shit but damn it's the shit. No composting needed just lay down a top coat 4" thick and now you've got some pimp soil.
@zombie that sucks about not gardening I had to take a year off a few years back and it was comparable to water boarding. You just gotta make a secret garden :wink:

--------------------
FREE PRINTS

:noargument:                                                                            :god2:

Offlinekizatzhaddarak
Fairy Tail
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #21756397 - 06/03/15 07:39 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

the BEST pumpkin grow I ever had.. was when I was in my youth growing up on my folks' farm. I literally planted some (Atlantic Giants) into a cattle manure (berm)/Mound.. at the end of the season..I had plants that sprawled in a radius of 15', and the largest fruit weighed in over 280lbs. Yeah they are heavy feeders, and like moist soil. I will say this about pumpkins and squashes in general.. they are often quite hardy and can deal with poor soil too. (just may not do well or get a high yeild). I have seen lil pumpkin plants come up in groccery store parking lot planters, that were from pumpkins that were smashed the previous year. It is a testament to how hardy they are.

--------------------
The Sleeper Must Awaken!  (I do not advocate the ingestion of any substance without extensive research, and or the advice of trained medical and or spiritual personelle)

OfflineBumbaclotjohnson
Sequoia Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: kizatzhaddarak]
    #21756590 - 06/03/15 09:04 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

My one concern is that I spaced them too close but whatever I can always thin them as I go

--------------------
FREE PRINTS

Offlinekactus.brand.g
    #21756596 - 06/03/15 09:05 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Nice plant man,I Love growing pumpkins:thumbup:

Offlineinvitro

Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21757246 - 06/03/15 12:29 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

What's really ideal is a huge patch of land that has been taken over by a leguminous vine like kudzu in a rainy climate.  What happens is the pumpkin can grow on top of the vine and crates a shade canopy with its leaves, causing the understory to die back 95%. 

Leguminous vines can strangle just about everything, except pumpkin and squash vines.

This decomposing matter provides food for the pumpkin vine.  I'm doing this right now.  From 5 seeds (5 plants) over the course of months the vines have grown to take over about 3000 square feet.  It's mostly virgin forest (trees are sparse) that it's growing into.  It's producing really nice pumpkins, something like a pound of pumpkins for every 2 square feet over the course of 3-4 months is a reasonable expectation.  I've gotten about 1000 pounds so far and if the rain keeps up there really is no limit to how much they could produce (with enough available land).

Besides the hole I dug for the original plant, there is no tilling or fertilizing involved.  I did decide to fertilize after the first harvest with ag65 lime and some 10-30-20.

Edited by invitro (06/03/15 12:34 PM)

Offlinekactus.brand.g
Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: invitro]
    #21757770 - 06/03/15 03:17 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

invitro said:
What's really ideal is a huge patch of land that has been taken over by a leguminous vine like kudzu in a rainy climate.  What happens is the pumpkin can grow on top of the vine and crates a shade canopy with its leaves, causing the understory to die back 95%. 

Leguminous vines can strangle just about everything, except pumpkin and squash vines.

This decomposing matter provides food for the pumpkin vine.  I'm doing this right now.  From 5 seeds (5 plants) over the course of months the vines have grown to take over about 3000 square feet.  It's mostly virgin forest (trees are sparse) that it's growing into.  It's producing really nice pumpkins, something like a pound of pumpkins for every 2 square feet over the course of 3-4 months is a reasonable expectation.  I've gotten about 1000 pounds so far and if the rain keeps up there really is no limit to how much they could produce (with enough available land).

Besides the hole I dug for the original plant, there is no tilling or fertilizing involved.  I did decide to fertilize after the first harvest with ag65 lime and some 10-30-20.

Kudzu you say,it's an epidemic in my neighborhood!

Offlineinvitro

Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21757876 - 06/03/15 03:44 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Nice, the particular vine that the pumpkins overcame here was desmodium.  I only imagine that kudzu would be similarly squashed, no pun intended.

Offlinekactus.brand.g
Re: Pumpkin thread [Re: invitro]
    #21757948 - 06/03/15 04:07 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

invitro said:
Nice, the particular vine that the pumpkins overcame here was desmodium.  I only imagine that kudzu would be similarly squashed, no pun intended.

haha,if I weren't moving I would actually try it out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck