Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer
    #2170062 - 12/08/03 09:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here's an interesting arcticle, could have useful applications in the sanitation methods of our hobby.

Quote:

Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants
by Judy Stouffer, B.S., M.S., SFO

You can make your kitchen a cleaner, safer place and fight bacteria, without exposing yourself and your family to toxic chemicals that also damage the environment. You can use a simple safe disinfecting spray that is more effective than any of the commercial cleaners in killing bacteria. As a bonus, it is inexpensive!

Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, worked out the recipe for just such a sanitizing combo. All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store for gargling or disinfecting wounds, and plain white or apple cider vinegar, and a pair of brand new clean sprayers, like the kind you use to dampen laundry before ironing.

If you're cleaning vegetables or fruit, just spritz them well first with both the vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide, and then rinse them off under running water.

It doesn't matter which you use first - you can spray with the vinegar then the hydrogen peroxide, or with the hydrogen peroxide followed by the vinegar. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, and neither is toxic to you if a small amount remains on the produce.

As a bonus: The paired sprays work exceptionally well in sanitizing counters and other food preparation surfaces -- including wood cutting boards.

In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.

The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

Science News August 8, 1998; Vol. 154, Issue. 6; pg. 83-85

Perhaps a duel bath system, one tub h2o2, the other vinegar. Dunk casing material in vinegar, then dunk it in the h2o2, rinse and begin normal hydrating methods. I think the dunk would be recommended because you'd get better saturation then just spritzing and thus improved sterlization. What i'm proposing is a seemingly viable alternative method to conventional casing sterilization. Maybe even a lasting defense against contam spores for at least a portion of the casing lifetime. Perhaps dunking cakes with this method, between flushes? Of course dillution parameters need to be discovered in that case. Could be useful for jars/pc/fruiting chamber too. There could be a lot of potential in this vinegar/h2o2 dunk. Comments?

mycomancer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: Mycomancer]
    #2170559 - 12/09/03 12:52 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

The problem would be in the Ph which would get very acidic this way.

Offlinefeb
Horn dog with acorn dog.
Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: zeronio]
    #2170966 - 12/10/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Rush Wayne mentions a combination of peroxide and vinegar for the cold preparation of chopped straw. He suggests a four hour soak in a 0.15% solution of peroxide with 10cc vinegar/litre. Another variation uses the same level of peroxide with 0.4-0.5g hydrated lime/litre.

-feb

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: zeronio]
    #2170989 - 12/10/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

My original reply dissapeared(on the old server)...Here's the gist of it:

"That's a very good point, I think it might not be as extreme as expected due to the rinse. Although it does seem to suggest that some form of acidic buffer becomes a necessary step."

Also, thanks feb for that info, that's out of his books right? Although it appears that doing seperate dunks is along the lines of 10x better than combining the two. Is what you're saying, Rush is combining the two into 1 solution?

mycomancer

Offlinefeb
Horn dog with acorn dog.
    #2171004 - 12/10/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, it?s from volume II and Rush is combining the two in one solution. It isn?t the same as your application, but I thought you might find it interesting:)

-feb

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: feb]
    #2171015 - 12/10/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks again, definatly interesting info... It figures though, i only got vol I, damnable lack of fiscal stability!

Since all this maintenance is happening with the server, some strange shroomery user strike(they're all taking off to the dark underbelly), and all this drama and blame throwing(mostly by people with no direct account), this place has been pretty barren. I was expecting a hundred replies by now, but alas you came to the rescue!

mycomancer

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2171406 - 12/11/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hey -- thanks!  The original article is really interesting!  It just scares me a bit, like:
Quote:

You can make your kitchen a cleaner, safer place

Are they serious?  Household cleaning products aren't enough??  I could swear, in the future, everything is going to be so goddamned sterile noone will have an immunity to anything....

/end rant

The only problem with using it for casings, etc., is that most fungi prefer acidic environments, anyway, so if you were to dunk a casing you'd certainly be fighting off bacteria, but maybe not as much of other fungi....  No reason it couldn't help, though, but it would probably be more benificial to use something basic to fight off the Trich spores, etc....

Good idea though.  Maybe best left as a sanitizer....

Doesn't vinegar smell bad, though?

Quote:

Since all this maintenance is happening with the server, some strange shroomery user strike

I don't know about a strike, but it was taking forever to even read 1 post.  I for one, disappeared for a while just because I didn't want to have to wait that long to read and post.  As for the drama, I don't really care because I'm not involved -- I'm just glad it's back and running well :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: micro]
    #2174098 - 12/13/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Dude I some times use vinegar & bi-carb soda to clean my kitchen, works
fine.
Rant ; all these chemicals  are due to the advertising camaigns that turn ordinary house wives into neurotic bacteria busters who cant take a shit without the bathroom (for the americans) toilet/shitter (for the aussies).
Smelling like a fucking spray painters workshop and we wonder why 1 in 3
get cancer. :end rant
But when it comes to sterility in the mycology department "fuck cancer, bring it on"  :grin: :grin:
Some times I use home brew sterilising powder it dont say what exactly is
just " alkaline salts ".

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: trev]
    #2175194 - 12/13/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Bicarb is a base, so it should get rid of the acid in the vinegar, so maybe a three-step process...

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Vinegar and h2o2 combination sanitizer [Re: Mages]
    #2175382 - 12/13/03 07:10 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, that's the same reason why I suggested a calcium carbonate step because of it being an acidic buffer. 3 steps eh...Ok, dunk vin, dunk h2o2, mix in acidic buffer of your choice. How's that sound?

mycomancer

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2177536 - 12/14/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Is bacteria a problem with straw?? I've seen yeast, but no bacteria....

If bacteria is a large problem it should help.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract