Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
No Charges in Make My Day Shooting: Roberto Zamora on Mushrooms?
    #21731578 - 05/28/15 08:08 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.westword.com/news/no-charges-in-make-my-day-shooting-roberto-zamora-on-mushrooms-6684863

No Charges in Make My Day Shooting: Roberto Zamora on Mushrooms?

A Facebook photo of the late Roberto Zamora. Additional images and video below.

Update: Earlier this month, we told you about the death of CU Boulder student Roberto Zamora, nineteen, after being shot by the owner of a home at 98 Pima Court that he invaded; see our previous coverage below.

Zamora's behavior as described by police and witnesses on the scene was strange — and while postmortem toxicology reports are not yet complete, authorities are now saying he may have been under the effect of hallucinogenic mushrooms at the time of the shooting.

Even before that's confirmed, however, Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett has decided not to charge the homeowner, identified by neighbors as Jim McCain, with a crime under what's colloquially known as Colorado's Make My Day law.

On May 4, multiple accounts maintain that Zamora banged on doors and windows and yelled at residents of multiple houses before breaking through the glass door of McCain's home and physically engaging with him. He was subsequently shot in the chest and died from the wound.

According to Zamora's loved ones, such actions were wholly out of character for him. And in a statement about his decision not to file charges in the case, Garnett alludes to the mushroom report while divulging fresh information about an entry to another home prior to McCain's.

"Final toxicology results from the autopsy are pending, but Mr. Zamora was reportedly under the influence of at least one drug at the time of this incident," he writes.

However, he continues, "the evidence developed by the Boulder Police in their investigation showed that on May 4, 2015, Mr. Zamora attempted to enter other nearby homes (and did actually enter one other home briefly) prior to the incident at 98 Pima Court. Several people observed Mr. Zamora prior to the shooting and all described him as behaving bizarrely and aggressively.

"At 98 Pima Court, Mr. Zamora entered the home forcefully and without permission and then aggressively attacked the homeowner. The facts and evidence in this case, which have been carefully and thoroughly investigated by the Boulder Police Department, fit the type of circumstance to which the ‘make my day’ law applies and the homeowner would also have been justified in his actions under Colorado self-defense law.... Therefore, there will be no criminal charges filed against the homeowner in this case."

Once again, Garnett also cites "a case a few years ago in which an intoxicated young woman was shot upon trespassing into a house."

That person, recent CU Boulder grad Zoey Ripple, survived being shot by a homeowner in 2012; see more about her case below. In the meantime, Garnett adds, "It is unfortunate that we continue to see incidents in Boulder where people under the influence of drugs or alcohol become so intoxicated that they illegally trespass into another’s residence, or otherwise end up in situations that result in injury or, as in this case, death."

Continue for our previous coverage.

Update, 8:13 a.m. May 6: New developments continue to surface in relation to the fatal Make My Day-style shooting in Boulder on Monday, May 4; see our previous coverage and updates below.

Multiple news agencies are identifying the homeowner who fired the fatal shot as Jim McCain — and the intruder killed was Roberto Zamora, a nineteen-year-old student at CU Boulder who lived only about two minutes away from the 98 Pima Court home where he died. He reportedly wasn't wearing either a shirt or shoes at the time.

At this point, there's no explanation for Zamora's bizarre behavior prior to the shooting, which included banging on doors and windows, yelling at residents and ultimately breaking through the glass door of the McCain home and getting into what the Boulder Police Department describes as a physical fight before being struck by a gunshot to the chest. His loved ones are baffled and heartsick over what happened, as they told Fox31 in a clip shared here.

Zamora's Facebook page says that he's originally from Los Angeles and lists him as both studying and working at CU Boulder.

In addition, Zamora also maintained a not terribly active Twitter account — although one tweet from this past November seems even stranger in retrospect:

Quote:

Roberto Zamora @RobGZamora

Woah just died in my dream, feeling a lil spooked :O
10:53 AM - 20 Nov 2014

In an interview with the Boulder Daily Camera, Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett took no position about whether McCain's actions fall under Colorado's Make My Day law, noting that the incident remains under investigation. However, he likened the circumstances to a bizarre case in Boulder circa 2012 involving a just-graduated CU Boulder student, Zoey Ripple.

On May 23 of that year, as we reported at the time, Timothy Justice and Doreen Orion were asleep in their spectacular College Avenue home — an abode described in an affidavit as being in a remote section of Boulder accessible by a road on a steep incline. The property was well-fenced and the surrounding area was covered with rocks, trees and bushes, with only the lengthy driveway allowing access to the residence.

At that point, Orion heard a noise outside the French door of the master bedroom. She initially assumed an animal was causing the ruckus — at least until she saw a glowing light and watched as an unidentified person entered through a sliding screen door. The couple ordered the person to leave several times, they stressed to officers, before Orion told Justice, "Get the gun," which was conveniently located in a nearby nightstand. He grabbed the weapon, chambered a round and fired toward the light, striking the intruder — Ripple — in the hip from a distance of about six feet.

At that point, Justice switched on the bedroom light to see Ripple on the floor at the foot of the bed, incongruously making a cell phone call. An instant later, Orion dialed a phone of her own, punching in the digits "9-1-1."

Zoey Ripple.

Later that morning, the reporting officer spoke with Ripple at Boulder Community Hospital, shortly before she was administered a dose of pain killers to deal with her injury. She told him she thought the Orion-Justice home was just "a step up" from the location of a house party she'd attended earlier in the evening. When she entered the home, she said "the same thing I always say when I open a door: 'Hello.'" However, the response she received — a lot of shouting and yelling — only served to confuse her, especially since she thought she was with people she knew at a friend's house until the moment she was blasted by Justice's gun.

Justice wasn't charged in the incident, but Ripple, was. The grad — whose blood alcohol level after the incident registered at a .2, more than double the legal limit for intoxication — was accused of felony trespassing. That October, she pleaded guilty in the case and received a deferred sentence featuring a provision that the conviction would be expunged from her record if she stayed out of trouble for the next eighteen months.

No doubt toxicology tests will also be conducted in the latest incident, which "sounds very similar to the Zoey Ripple case," Garnett told the Camera. "It's the same situation, but it is very tragic in this case that the intruder died."

Update, 10:43 a.m. May 5: Earlier today, we told you about what appeared to be a Make My Day incident in Boulder that left an alleged home intruder dead; see our previous coverage below.

Moments ago, the Boulder Police Department released additional information about the case.

A photo from the scene tweeted by Fox31's Jim Hooley a short time ago.

A spokesperson reveals that the man had tried to break into numerous residences before entering the one where he was killed — and the fatal shooting was allegedly preceded by an attack.

As we previously noted, the situation that resulted in authorities being called took place at around 8:40 p.m. last night, May 4.

Prior to that, however, the cops say the man had not only attempted to gain entry to other houses, but he also yelled at residents, as well as banging on doors and windows.

The front of the house where the shooting took place.

The couple at 98 Pima Court told investigators they heard similar noises coming from a rear window of their house as they were watching television. The male resident responded by telling his female companion to contact the police and then grabbed a handgun.

That's around when the suspect started banging on the screen door at the house's main entrance, police say. It's unclear at this point if the screen door was locked, but the man is said to have shattered its glass and burst into the house.

The male resident of the house was standing nearby when the man entered and physically knocked him to the ground, the cops' account continues. A fight ensued — but it ended when the resident, who told police he feared for his life, fired a single shot into the man's chest. By the time police arrived, he was already dead.

The male and female residents have already been questioned and released. They're not being identified at this time, and they may not be if the Boulder District Attorney's Office decides not to charge them with a crime.

Original post, 7:05 a.m.: Colorado's Make My Day rule offers legal sanctuary to individuals who shoot and kill people who invade their homes if they feel their lives are at risk — and such incidents are often controversial.

Consider the matter of Darrell Kutchin, who in 2011 took the life of seventeen-year-old Marcus Duran in a home break-in; the incident didn't lead to criminal charges. Months later, Kutchin went public and argued that he did the right thing — but Duran's mom was upset that he didn't fire a warning shot of attempt to injure rather than kill.

No telling if a shooting in Boulder last night will stir similar passions. But it has all the earmarks of a Make My Day case.

At about 8:40 p.m. on Monday, May 4, according to the Boulder Police Department, BPD officers, joined by fire department and emergency medical personnel, were called to a home at 98 Pima Court.

Upon their arrival, the assorted responders found a man dead of a gunshot wound.

Investigators believe the man "broke through the front glass door and was confronted by a person in the home," notes the BPD release.

At this point, police aren't saying if the shooter was the home's owner. But they do confirm that two people were present at the time, and both are cooperating with the cops.

7News reports that the presumed shooter was led away from the house wearing paper bags on his hands — a technique used to protect forensic evidence.

....from CBS4's Karen Morfitt.

Thus far, police aren't identifying the parties involved in the shooting. However, anyone with information about the case is encouraged to contact Boulder Police Detective Cantu at 303-441-4328 or Northern Colorado Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or 1-800-444-3776.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: motaman]
    #21731604 - 05/28/15 08:15 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.westword.com/news/is-brittany-storms-latest-teen-to-invade-a-strangers-house-while-on-drugs-6730330

Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs?

By Michael Roberts
Wednesday, May 20, 2015 | 8 days ago

A Facebook photo of Brittay Lynn Storms.

If the arrest of eighteen-year-old Brittany Lynn Storms for allegedly entering a home illegally while “out of it on drugs” sounds familiar, it should.

Earlier this month, we noted that Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett had decided not to criminally charge a homeowner who fatally shot Roberto Zamroa, a nineteen-year-old CU Boulder student. His actions were found to be legal under Colorado's so-called Make My Day law.

Zamora had reportedly invaded the man's home and attacked him before being shot — and witnesses suggested that the teen was under the influence of hallucinogenic mushrooms at the time.

During his announcement about the case, Garnett referenced a 2012 incident involving Zoey Ripple, a recent CU Boulder grad who'd been shot after drunkenly wandering into the wrong house; she survived.

"It is unfortunate that we continue to see incidents in Boulder where people under the influence of drugs or alcohol become so intoxicated that they illegally trespass into another’s residence, or otherwise end up in situations that result in injury or, as in this case, death," Garnett said.

As the Storms matter demonstrates, such incidents aren't unique to Boulder. She's from Grand Junction, and the accusations against her stem from actions in the Aspen area.

This past Sunday, May 17, according to the Aspen Times, a man and woman who live on a street called Shady Lane returned home to find the front door open and a woman later identified as Storms walking out and acting as if she was under the effect of drugs.

Another Facebook photo of Brittany Lynn Storms.

The female half of the couple accused Storms of stealing. An arrest affidavit accessed by the Times quotes the teen as denying that she'd taken anything and insisted she was just "looking around."

She later elaborated to investigators, saying "she was fascinated with the size of the all-glass front door of the residence and opened it" — after she claimed her name was "Brooke Gunnison," that is.

Upon leaving the house, Storms is said to have taken a walk on the Rio Grande Trail, not far from the house. That's where police who responded to the homeowners' call found her and took her into custody.

Was robbery Storms's motivation for entering the house? The Times notes that she has "a history of drug and theft arrests in Mesa County," but she didn't take anything from the house on Shady Lane, either because she never intended to or was interrupted before she could do so.

Prosecutors clearly believe the latter is the more likely possibility. Storms has been advised of charges against her that include first-degree trespassing, criminal impersonation and second-degree burglary.

That's the bad news for Storms, who's due back in court on June 1. But at least no one shot her. Here's a look at her booking photo.

Brittany Lynn Storms.

--------------------

Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: motaman]
    #21732011 - 05/28/15 10:28 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

In Canada or almost anywhere else, people don't kill others like that.If a stoned person came crashing through my door, I would try to find them their right house, not send them into the hereafter.The USA has the stupidest politicians,most idiotic residents, and the dumbest laws in the whole world.We have lots of guns here in Canada, but choose not to shoot each other.A lot of Americans own land in this area of southern BC, and from now on I am going to make a point of trespassing as much as I can.

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: gandalfe]
    #21732054 - 05/28/15 10:43 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

If I did that in Ontario I'd probably go to jail.

Anyway, the first story sounds like the type of guy who should have had a trip sitter. I can picture the erratic behaviour now and I think a lot of people wouldn't understand and even if they did, he was still a threat by the sound of it. I wouldn't have shot him.

The second story, I understand why she got shot but charges? That's too much. She made a mistake and got shot for it for fuck sakes. She could have died.

The last one? Probably needed a trip sitter to but by the sound of it has a history and kind of deserves what she gets.

OfflineSupachopped719
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #21732361 - 05/28/15 12:24 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

So if some one breaks into your house and starts attacking you, you guys would try to calmly talk this stranger down and attempt to help them locate their home?

You wouldn't defend yourself?

Lol you pussy ass Canadians would probably apologize that your door was so hard to break down.

I would first scream for them to leave and if they didn't I would blast their ass. I got no time for someone who can't handle their drugs and want to endanger the lives of me and my children. I don't have any but it wouldn't matter.

--------------------
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: Supachopped719]
    #21732563 - 05/28/15 01:13 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

As far as I'm concerned, your accusation of my character only applies to you. I said I wouldn't have shot him. Which means I would have beat the shit out of him if I had to, broken bones, whatever the fuck I had to do but at least he would be alive or I would fade his live with importance rather than a two second action that I would say is more easily forgotten. Because people matter. I've said this in other threads, if your militant ass country wants a police force that isn't trigger happy, stop being the shit you hate. That is a weakness, taking the hard road is almost always the higher road and that takes character.

Now fuck off with your big mouth cause puppy you can't even bark.

OfflineSupachopped719
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: larry.fisherman]
    #21733203 - 05/28/15 04:27 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
As far as I'm concerned, your accusation of my character only applies to you. I said I wouldn't have shot him. Which means I would have beat the shit out of him if I had to, broken bones, whatever the fuck I had to do but at least he would be alive or I would fade his live with importance rather than a two second action that I would say is more easily forgotten. Because people matter. I've said this in other threads, if your militant ass country wants a police force that isn't trigger happy, stop being the shit you hate. That is a weakness, taking the hard road is almost always the higher road and that takes character.

Now fuck off with your big mouth cause puppy you can't even bark.

And what if I'm a 4 foot 11 inch female that weighs 98 pounds? Should I still box the crazed maniac that just jumped through a glass door and started attacking me in the dead of night?

Come on now, you Chuck Norris wannabe, you sound like you for sure have never witnessed any real violence. This is real life not a movie, the good guy does not automatically win because they have a heart of gold and they are the star of the film. You would have no idea if the intruder himself has a weapon or not. He forfeited his life the minute he decided to be violent and violate people's property.

--------------------

Invisiblelarry.fisherman
shoulda died already
I'm a teapot

Re: Is Brittany Storms Latest Teen to Invade a Stranger's House While on Drugs? [Re: Supachopped719]
    #21733231 - 05/28/15 04:35 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

What if you're a girl? I don't care what you are, I'm me. You're the one who got mouthy with me so how about you just shut the fuck up?

OfflineSupachopped719
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21733278 - 05/28/15 04:44 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XLCaps said:
What if you're a girl? I don't care what you are, I'm me. You're the one who got mouthy with me so how about you just shut the fuck up?

Butthurt... Melt harder....

Make my day....

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: No Charges in Make My Day Shooting: Roberto Zamora on Mushrooms? [Re: motaman]
    #21737338 - 05/29/15 03:32 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2676401

Welcome to the Shroomery news service forum. This is a forum for members to post news that may be of interest to the Shroomery.org community. Before you post please familiarize yourself with these few simple guidelines:

The submitted news should be related to the scope of this website. (mushrooms, psychedelics, drugs in general, war on drugs, etc....)
Copy and paste the news article in a new thread and include the link to the source.
The news should be up to date.
No flaming.

--------------------

OfflineSupachopped719
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: No Charges in Make My Day Shooting: Roberto Zamora on Mushrooms? [Re: motaman]
    #21737367 - 05/29/15 03:39 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/2676401

Welcome to the Shroomery news service forum. This is a forum for members to post news that may be of interest to the Shroomery.org community. Before you post please familiarize yourself with these few simple guidelines:

The submitted news should be related to the scope of this website. (mushrooms, psychedelics, drugs in general, war on drugs, etc....)
Copy and paste the news article in a new thread and include the link to the source.
The news should be up to date.
No flaming.

:burke: I SAID MELT HARDER DAMMIT!!!!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom