Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Everything in moderation...
    #2173163 - 12/12/03 04:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've heard some people explain the way they live by using the saying "Everything in Moderation". It seems to work pretty well in helping you live a good life but I think I found a contradiction that can't be worked into this way of thinking.

I started thinking ok, what about Heroin. And I figured that yes, maybe when someone is in extreme pain heroin could be helpful to them. (Like during surgery, or after getting shot in the ass.)

Then I thought what about murder. And I figured yes, sometimes the death penalty may be appropriate in very extreme situations. (Such as if a terrorist was going to use a nuclear bomb on a bunch of innocent people, and the only way to stop him was by assassination.)

Then I thought about rape. Rape is something that can never really be justified in my opinion. I do not believe in "eye for an eye" type punishments so rape seems to not ever be useful in moderation.

Do you guys come to any different conclusions, or see any situations that rape may be appropriate when used in moderation that I have looked over?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Druginduced]
    #2173185 - 12/12/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, plus they aren't using their moderation in moderation.  Buncha hypocrites!

:smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Panoramix]
    #2173311 - 12/12/03 06:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah. DAmn those "everything in moderation" People!!

:lol:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2173381 - 12/12/03 06:59 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RydawgSupreme said:
Yeah. DAmn those "everything in moderation" People!!

:lol:

But only damn them moderately. And use moderation sparingly. :grin:

The Moderation Cookbook, apparently. hehehe
:nut:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2173580 - 12/12/03 09:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Moderation in all things. (Especially moderation.)

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Jellric]
    #2173712 - 12/12/03 11:12 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Heroin, Murder, and Rape are extremes in and of themselves. It is almost as though you're asking "How can we have excess in moderation?", which is, as I'm sure you'll agree, a pretty a silly question!

Let's examine the causes of rape. Why do some people think it's a good thing to rape another person? There are a myriad of reasons. Many rapsits were raped or sexually traumatized themselves. Others are disturbed of mind for reasons beyond their control. Some people are simply that deluded. Let's not forget that our suffering is equally proportionate to our delusions.

None of these things serve as an excuse for that person to force themselves on another person, as that is putting the suffering of rape on to others. But some of the causes that give rise to a mind of rape in a human being leave room for compassion. They should certainly not be allowed to rape people, but it is not helpful to view them angrily, or as reprehensible people to be isolated or discarded in disgust. It may be these attitudes they've received from others which brought them to the deluded mind of rape to begin with.

The way to prevent a terrorist from unleashing the suffering of nuclear warfare on to others is not to murder the terrorist. There will always be terrorists prepared to detonate nuclear bombs so long as the causes and conditions for terrorism exist. Chances are, the terrorist feels as though he or his people have been personally transgressed by those to whom he is bringing terror. The way to prevent a terrorist from causing suffering is to alleviate the suffering of the terrorist.

That is our responsiblity as citizens, and it is the responsiblity of our leaders. (Snuck-in Political remark (Anyone but Bush -- 2004))

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #2173752 - 12/12/03 11:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Everything in moderation? Everything? That's just what weak people say when they don't have the strength to quit habits that are unhealthy for them!

I'm not saying I don't do anything that's bad for me, but I'm never going to attempt justifying it with a weak-ass statement like that!

Some things are OK in moderation. Things like drinking or eating junk food... but of course you'd be healthier without those things, but it won't necessarily ruin your entire life.

Other things are simply NOT ok in moderation. Injectable cyanide, child molestation or rape as mentioned above, and self-inflicted shotgun blasts to the head...

It's just a trendy little phrase that makes people feel that they can justify weakness while at the same time sounding philosophical...

"Everything in moderation!" ...yes, what a brilliant nugget of age-old wisdom...

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Amnesiac]
    #2173790 - 12/13/03 12:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I like your brand of Anti-Terrorism, Ped.  Treating the causes rather than the symptoms is bad for business, though.  Can't have that!! :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

Yeah, the whole Rule of the Mean is, I'd have to say, the single greatest miscarriage of a decent moral theory.  Lots of other bits of Aristotle's stuff's quite decent, I find.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Ped]
    #2174096 - 12/13/03 03:52 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Heroin, Murder, and Rape are extremes in and of themselves. It is almost as though you're asking "How can we have excess in moderation?", which is, as I'm sure you'll agree, a pretty a silly question!

Actually that is not what I was saying at all. And I made no mention of rape, heroin, or murder.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: Jellric]
    #2174175 - 12/13/03 05:26 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You make a good point. There's really no justification for an act of rape.

I think when people say "everything in moderation" they really mean "everything reasonable in moderation..." I suppose I'm one of those people because I'll do anything I can see a point in doing, that has benefits greater than the cost, if it appeals to me but I won't go overboard and abuse it even if its great. I think thats the general jist of the idea, what most people mean when they say that cliche phrase.

OfflineZenGecko
enthusiast
Re: Everything in moderation... [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2174248 - 12/13/03 07:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i think the saying is being interpreted to literally. It is only meant to suggest a path, and not to be followed in a strictly literal sense. much like the bible :wink: 

rape is in itself an extreme though, because it is extremely violent, or extremely demeaning, so u wouldn't be doing much of anything moderately. Basically i think the saying means to exersise moderation in followng your desires, or forming desires even. Possilbly even suggesting not to cling to anything, and also not to deny anything fully.
Anyways i would write more, but i'm not going to :wink:
Sincerely,
That which is, and has no choice but to be

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology