Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Straw beds sprouting
    #2172394 - 12/12/03 06:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of mine emailed me for an answer on this and I am clueless:

Hey bud -
Seen as how you are into edible mushrooms I hope that you could help me out with some cubies I am growing. I spawned a few WBS jars into a bed of straw. The straw was bought pre-shredded and packaged (how american eh?) at a nursery here in town. The bag says for use as mulch or for wintering roses. My stove is kind of screwy, it boils water even on low. I didn't want to heat pasteurize, so I used lime. Now here is where I need help. I checked up on my beds roughly 5 days after spawning. It was definitely colonizing nicely. But there were also sprouts growing. Similar to grass but since it was in the dark the sprouts are all white. The top of the bed is actually growing a fairly dense covering of grass-like sprouts. I plucked off as many as I could but there are too many to get them all. I did not see any seeds in my straw. Surely my spawn was completely colonized but regardless before that it was sterilized. The bed wasn't supplemented with anything. It finished colonizing without contams and I am getting a decent uncased first flush. Got any ideas?
Peace,
XXX

Anyone got any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Straw beds sprouting [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2172458 - 12/12/03 08:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

how peculiar. the straw was used on it's own, nothing added? it must have contained grass seeds, whether you saw them or not. i'd leave em be, make for some nice photos of cultivated shrooms growing as-wild among the grasses  :laugh:

why no casing for the first flush? anyway, all sounds grrrreeeaaattt!! gonna case for F2?

--------------------
buh

Offlinebalingupmadness
recreationalchemicalconsultant

Loc: western Australia
Re: Straw beds sprouting [Re: shirley knott]
    #2172468 - 12/12/03 08:37 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

mate i use lime all the time for growing oyster mushys and yes i too get the occasional sprouting of seeds as some always manage to get into the bags . the lime doesnt kill the seeds only the competitor fungi. i was gonna post a Q to see if any one has tried using lime for cubes and looks like your the person to talk too any chance of elaborating further on the method

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Surely I do say not. [Re: shirley knott]
    #2172547 - 12/12/03 09:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quite possibly he may share some pictures with the community. He said he ripped quite a bit of the grass out. His decision not to case probably had something to do with his sprouts, but I'm not sure. He said he's gonna dunk it after this flush.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: balingupmadness [Re: balingupmadness]
    #2172557 - 12/12/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know what method you use; however, I'm fairly certain my buddy used was the same lime pasteurization process used by Rush Wayne. It's also printed in GGMM, which is the book I told him to get. Unfortunatly, I can't really give you many details on its performance. 'Cuz I'm not growing it!

I've used the technique for oysters with great success! I use a five gallon bucket and a pillow case. First drop 1 1/2 cup lime into the bottom of your pail. Use hot water to create a slurry. I use water straight from my bathtub faucet, no screwing with the water heater. I've been told that it is really bad stuff to be around. It sucks to inhale but I got it on my skin a lot. It kind of itches but goes away. Put the pillow case in the pail short closed side in first. Open the other end and fold it down around the full edge of the pail. Stuff in your straw as tight as you wish, but leave at least 4 inches from the top. Turn on your faucet again, filling your pail with water. Fill with water up to the height of the straw. But your straw will float! You'll need to keep pushing it down to remove air bubbles. You'll notice that the water is already turning that straw tea color. The color of the straw particulates is exentuated by the lime slurry. Use bricks to keep the pillow case underwater. Soak it for 18-24 hours. Drain until handfuls do not drip when squeezed. When spawning remember to compress it as much as possible.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation