Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans
    #2168716 - 12/08/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id=031F95D0-D487-40F9-ACEF-AD9C26E68BF3

Focus groups in U.S. reveal growing rift
Jack Aubry 
CanWest News Service

Canadians should be careful not to appear "boastful" to Americans, who are insecure because of the war in Iraq and admit they are annoyed by northerners showing off the red maple leaf on their luggage when they travel, a recent federal report warns.

In focus groups held this fall in four U.S. cities where the federal government is opening consulates, Americans acknowledged they don't know much about Canadians and have low awareness that the country had not supported the U.S. in the war in Iraq.

"Some participants expressed a certain amount of annoyance at what is perceived as a systematic attempt by Canadians to make the statement that they are not Americans by sporting the maple leaf," said the recently released report.

"This underscores the American sensitivity at feeling rejected by the rest of the world . . . ."

A front-page story in the New York Times this week, which declared that Canada's stance on social issues is opening rifts with the U.S., is unwittingly confirmed with the earlier findings of the report.

Canadian comedian Rick Mercer said at a recent Toronto show that being attached to America is like "being in a pen with a wounded bull," joking that between gay marriage and pot smoking, "it's a wonder there is not a giant deck of cards out there with all our faces on it."

The report says even Americans who blame the Bush administration to some extent for the country's poor relations with the world do not seem to understand why friendly countries and neighbours such as Canada would want to distance themselves from Americans.

For instance, an American from San Diego is quoted saying: "What bugs me about Canadians, if I may, is that they wear that damn patch on their bags, the Canadian flag patch. That way, they differentiate themselves from us."

Another one from Raleigh, North Carolina, notes that Canadians are "very patriotic," freely acknowledging they are from Canada while abroad. "Americans will tend to not even want to tell people because they think they'll get bad vibes from them," added the participant.

The report is based on eight focus groups conducted in September by Millward Brown Goldfarb in San Diego, Raleigh, Denver and Houston where Canadian consulates are in the process of opening.

Pierre Bechard, a spokesman for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, said Millward Brown Goldfarb was paid $49,543 for the October report and focus groups.

He said the findings will act as a baseline for the consulates to work to understand how much Americans understand about Canada and how they feel about their relationship with their northern neighbours.

From the findings, federal employees opening the consulates will have their work cut out for them. Most participants said they were "shocked" by a fact sheet about Canada that they were presented during the focus groups.

"A few express some concern over the U.S.'s implied dependence on Canada for energy . . . However, Canada should be careful not to appear "boastful," which could backfire, as Americans do not like to be reminded of any kind of dependence on another country," the report warned.

It says while there is definitely some resentment at Canada's refusal to join the Americans in the war with Iraq, it is currently tempered by "a feeling of uncertainty as to whether the war should have been waged at all.

"Also, unlike France, which is viewed as having forcefully opposed the States, Canada is viewed more as having stayed on sidelines. This suggests that, as long as there are no more harsh and strong criticisms of the U.S. by Canadian officials (there was one mention of the incident where U.S. President George W. Bush was called a "moron" by an aide to Prime Minister Jean Chretien), the American public will not bear a strong grudge against Canada," said the report.

It says most participants felt the current Chretien government has been somewhat hostile but they surmise "that it does not reflect the opinion of the majority of Canadians -- especially Western Canada, which they see as closer to the U.S. in terms of values."

? Copyright 2003 Calgary Herald

---
As I read the paper this morning I couldn't help but laugh at this one :lol:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: pattern]
    #2168736 - 12/08/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

How dare they be melodramatic patriotic? That's our racket.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2168741 - 12/08/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i think it's great to see Canadians show off thier maple leaf.  Doesn't bother me a bit.  I think to myself "wow a maple leaf, how cute" :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2168747 - 12/08/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Lol!

The reason we put our flag on anything we can when we travel...WE WANT TO BE RECOGNIZED!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: trendal]
    #2168764 - 12/08/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The reason we put our flag on anything we can when we travel

The reason we put our flag on everything is for the simple reason that we can... :smirk:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (12/08/03 10:44 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Rono]
    #2168773 - 12/08/03 10:47 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've never had a problem travelling with an american flag and in fact i got a couple rounds bought for me for being american...don't believe everything you hear.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#2168775 - 12/08/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
i think it's great to see Canadians show off thier maple leaf.  Doesn't bother me a bit.  I think to myself "wow a maple leaf, how cute" :grin:

Thats exactly what we want you to think  :devil:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2168785 - 12/08/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

then i steal your wallet.... :rolleyes:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#2168795 - 12/08/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
I've never had a problem travelling with an american flag and in fact i got a couple rounds bought for me for being american...don't believe everything you hear.

All I can say is Canadians in general seem to be very well liked wherever I've travelled...I can't say the same about Americans...not that it's justified, since I've personally met many awesome Americans in my travels and have personally never had an issue with them....but the simple fact is that there is generally a bad perception of Yanks globally...

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2168807 - 12/08/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

im an American and im annoyed at Amerikkkans with their SUVs with the flags..which remind me of the Nuremburg rallies...if thats not boastful..i dont know what is...Canadians are patriots..whereas Amerikkkans are chauvanists..and hippocrits too...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2168814 - 12/08/03 11:10 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I dont wear the patch, I think its a tad silly. Instead I wear a British Columbia patch, so only geographers and fellow canadians recognize me. But yes, in general, Canadians are more well recieved around the world....In my experience anyways.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2168816 - 12/08/03 11:10 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

but the simple fact is that there is generally a bad perception of Yanks globally

perhaps, but i've never seen it and i travel quite a bit. As a Yank i travel to parts most Europeans have never been to (ie: S. America, Mexico and the Carribbean) and i've met the nicest people. I believe they hate our government more than they hate us personally. Then again i have no desire to travel to countries like the middle east nor European countries like France.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#2168824 - 12/08/03 11:13 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Then again i have no desire to travel to countries like the middle east nor European countries like France. 

And I suspect a large part of your reason for not going to those places is that they are generally not very friendly to Americans...except  :wink:France...they are just rude to everyone...

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2168836 - 12/08/03 11:20 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

No, i've been to Saudi, Iraq and Kuwait....it really has nothing to offer. I'd like to see Eqypt but they really don't care what kind of tourists they kill.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Anonymous

#2168907 - 12/08/03 12:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

In other news, terrorists are now hiding weapons of mass destruction in maple-leaf emblazoned duffle bags, suitcases, and backpacks. In accordance with the Patriot Act, said terrorists will be shipped to an undisclosed location and dealt with accordingly.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: ]
    #2168910 - 12/08/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

*rim shot*

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #2169036 - 12/08/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This articles rediculous.. It's complaining about a measly flag on our bags when I've been to town's in New York state that had every single building is decked in star's and stripes..That stuff is unheard of here.. You Might see a Canadian flag here and there but for the most part the Canadian flag is rarely seen on our streets.. Why not where one when your traveling.. It's a good way to get drink's bought for you or meet girl's.. Mexican chick's love Canadian guy's but their not as friendly to American's.. I found the way they referred to American's as gringo's kind of pissed me off..

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2169050 - 12/08/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

funny, I see a maple leaf on a suitcase and I think...

"I wonder if there's a seal in there?"

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2169051 - 12/08/03 01:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

The part I found funny was "Some participants expressed a certain amount of annoyance at what is perceived as a systematic attempt by Canadians to make the statement that they are not Americans by sporting the maple leaf"

We AREN'T Americans...is there a reason why we should make others think that we are?

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2169108 - 12/08/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mexican chick's love Canadian guy's but their not as friendly to American's

i found that the mexicans treated me nicely. Hell i lost a cell phone in a cab and they found it and brought it to my plane. I love mexico and plan on going there this May. Most mexicans couln't tell the difference between a Canoodian and an American anyway. Gringo doesn't bother me just as Yank doesn't bother me. Actually my best friend from Wales calls me it all the time, i rather like it.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: afoaf]
    #2169110 - 12/08/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i usually wonder if they have their really fuzzy boots in there.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2169272 - 12/08/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:

haha...right before putting in on your travel bags eh? :smirk:

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2169281 - 12/08/03 03:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"The part I found funny was "Some participants expressed a certain amount of annoyance at what is perceived as a systematic attempt by Canadians to make the statement that they are not Americans by sporting the maple leaf"

its our new conspiracy... :lol:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2169573 - 12/08/03 06:16 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Especially in the middle east you mihgt want to have a canadian flag on you backpack so you dont get mistaken for a yank and get shot.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: barfightlard]
    #2169744 - 12/08/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

your a westerner, they don't like you because you exist. Don't fool yourself into thinking they love you.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2169816 - 12/08/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think they love me, but most would know it's not big bad Canada who bombs them.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2170038 - 12/08/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

its our new conspiracy... 

Oh...so you want sport Maple Leaf stickers, eh...
Well, I don't like it, eh.....
Filthy stinking canucks...

:smirk:

eh....

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #2170121 - 12/08/03 09:47 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I liek too runaround the world with a maple leafe being dicks to people I slap them in the back of the hed and say HA HA HA HA HA I am Kanadian

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2170268 - 12/08/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Most people can recognize an American when they meet one :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2170298 - 12/08/03 10:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Bet they've never met one of the poor.

I'm a member.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#2170312 - 12/08/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've met a couple homeless dudes in Detroit.

They all scare the shit outta me. :smirk:

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2170335 - 12/08/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You should meet some upper class poor some time.

Also some of the long haired cave dwellers are nice. They don't travel much either.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2174161 - 12/13/03 03:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think the whole Canadian flag thing on the backpack when travelling.. it's a little.. I don't know.. lame. I don't wear it.

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: afoaf]
    #2174381 - 12/13/03 08:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
funny, I see a maple leaf on a suitcase and I think...

"I wonder if there's a seal in there?"

I keep wondering if there's LSD in it. I keep hearing that there's loads of it in canadia but of course the canadians always deny it

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2174616 - 12/13/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think I'd go out of my way to put a maple leaf on my bag or anything. If someone asked me if I was an American, I'd say "God no!".

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#2175617 - 12/13/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I was reading some literature at work that was for parents, it was about how to prevent your kid from joining a cult. The pamphlet clamied that kids who put the flag on their backpacks were more likely to join a cult. I wonder why.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: Canadians too patriotic for sensitive Americans [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #2176163 - 12/14/03 04:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I havent joined a cult or put a flag on my backpack. 

Coincidence?

But, I have a Canadian polar bear on my car :smile:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom