Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

Loc: Long Island NY
Virtual Reality video games
    #21685295 - 05/15/15 11:37 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I always ponder this question from time to time. How the fack would you walk/run in the game if you are in your room? How would you climb things and jump? How would we make this comparable to real life action? I don't see it as being possible at all anytime for games like halo/call of duty/battlefield/ fighting games, etc. these type of games you would have Much more control with the controllers we currently use than some type of virtual reality setup. I can imagine racing games.. but that is it really.

It seems like virtual reality would only work properly inside some type of well mapped park, in which case, you mine as well play paintball.

--------------------
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: Suspector]
    #21685307 - 05/15/15 11:40 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe if we see using virtual reality goggles/glasses/helmet , but we move around/shoot things and what not using the current controllers, that might be possible.

But that isn't REAL virtual reality. that is like, have a 5d tv almost, in a way

I guess I sort of just answered my question I have always pondered :facepalm: a couple minutes after posting

--------------------
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21685323 - 05/15/15 11:43 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I never could understand why you would want to be active while gaming. Like the whole point of playing them is so you can feel as though you've just battled the shit out of a battlefield, WITHOUT actually doimg it. Its so perfect the way it is, you can fight wars with the push of a button, why would anyone want to change that?

--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.

In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #21685340 - 05/15/15 11:47 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Pretty easy to solve really. Rather than repetitive steps, it could just use your stance for that type of input. Legs together = standing still, legs spaced barely apart = sneaking/walking, legs spaced moderately apart = running. Of course all the other needed leg movements could just be replicated form actual movement.

It's not really a hurdle that can't be overcome.
Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:
I never could understand why you would want to be active while gaming. Like the whole point of playing them is so you can feel as though you've just battled the shit out of a battlefield, WITHOUT actually doimg it. Its so perfect the way it is, you can fight wars with the push of a button, why would anyone want to change that?

I honestly wish I could play my FPS like you see in "Gamer". Maybe not the extent of using real people really dying, but the control interface. I prefer FPS to be on a mouse and keyboard over controller because of the faster reaction time available. But it's not as instinctual as virtual reality would be. It'd be a lot more immersive and fun.

--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: Shroomslip]
    #21685354 - 05/15/15 11:51 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

That is how I feel, I just like the way video games are as it is, regarding shooters.

Quote:

Shroomslip said:
Pretty easy to solve really. Rather than repetitive steps, it could just use your stance for that type of input. Legs together = standing still, legs spaced barely apart = sneaking/walking, legs spaced moderately apart = running. Of course all the other needed leg movements could just be replicated form actual movement.

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

I honestly wish I could play my FPS like you see in "Gamer". Maybe not the extent of using real people really dying, but the control interface. I prefer FPS to be on a mouse and keyboard over controller because of the faster reaction time available. But it's not as instinctual as virtual reality would be. It'd be a lot more immersive and fun.

I don't think it would be easy to replicate the mechanics/feel of moving around the map in a game like halo, using the mechanics/movements you described. It would have to be an entirely new game with way different mechanics/feel/movements/way to play, in which case, I like halo as it is, halo 5 looks amazing. I would rather keep gun games like they are now. Unless I can go somewhere, and play virtual reality, so I can truly run but then again, lasertag/paintball are out there. maybe not as 'beautiful' as a virtual reality world may be.

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21685366 - 05/15/15 11:54 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomslip said:

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:

Did you see the ultimate battlefield 3 experience they had when the game first came out? Looked like ut would be fun for about ten minutes. Guy standing on rollers surrounded by 4k giant flatscreens that curved and followed his direction, with rubber bullet trrets aimed at him from all sides. I say it would be fun for ten minutes though, not because getting pelted by the bullets repeatedly would suck, but because knowing ea, you would disconnect every ten minutes and have to find a new server. And don't get me started on squad joining.

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

#21685380 - 05/15/15 11:57 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

:burke:

You think battlefield is bad? try Master Chief Collection. That was the shittiest release I have ever purchased in my life. and it is still pretty damn shitty.

Honestly, I don't think they have figured out this technology yet, yet they are releasing games for it, which end up fucking up more than the system xbox 360 that came out ten years ago. The games fuck up way more often than they should. Every xbox one game I have bought has had some issue that wouldn't of happened on the 360 is what I am saying.

--------------------

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt

#21685385 - 05/15/15 11:58 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Think about how many buttons you use to walk and traverse a map in an FPS. It's not really that complicated. You push a joystick, maybe a button to run faster and a button to jump. You also have a button to crouch/lay down. That's about it.

Not really that hard to transfer to a motion detected body movement.

You don't have a button to replicate all the motions nessecary to vault a low obstacle, nor a bunch to correspond to the motions to climb up something. There's no reason that just because it's virtual reality you'd have to have them in it either.

--------------------
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.

You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21685388 - 05/15/15 11:59 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

You would need a combination of stairmasters, rollers and tread climbers for it to work out right, and a float tank for watermaps. I really want to try out the new survival horror games with occulus rift, alien isolation, outlast, or PT. WHY KOJIMA???? WHY MUST PT NEVER COME THROUGH???(thankfully i never deleted my demo of it, and now i never will) if you haven't seen it check it out. Scariest piece of artwork ever, games, movies anything. Shit bricks.
Quote:

Suspector said:

You think battlefield is bad? try Master Chief Collection. That was the shittiest release I have ever purchased in my life. and it is still pretty damn shitty.

Honestly, I don't think they have figured out this technology yet, yet they are releasing games for it, which end up fucking up more than the system xbox 360 that came out ten years ago. The games fuck up way more often than they should

I could never get into halo, felt like it tried to hard to combine realism and scifi, and got stuck in an awkward halfassed middleground.

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

#21685398 - 05/16/15 12:03 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LuSiD enthusiast said:
You would need a combination of stairmasters, rollers and tread climbers for it to work out right, and a float tank for watermaps. I really want to try out the new survival horror games with occulus rift, alien isolation, outlast, or PT. WHY KOJIMA???? WHY MUST PT NEVER COME THROUGH???(thankfully i never deleted my demo of it, and now i never will) if you haven't seen it check it out. Scariest piece of artwork ever, games, movies anything. Shit bricks.
Quote:

Suspector said:

Honestly, I don't think they have figured out this technology yet, yet they are releasing games for it, which end up fucking up more than the system xbox 360 that came out ten years ago. The games fuck up way more often than they should

I could never get into halo, felt like it tried to hard to combine realism and scifi, and got stuck in an awkward halfassed middleground.

Halo isn't everyones cup of tea. In halo it is like you are on earth maps, bu you are still jumping around like you are on the moon lol.. idk I love halo though, competitive takes a ton of skill and team work. I feel wierd when I play COD. For example, I cant help but think, 'why the fuck does everyone look like they are running like puppets from team america' Just seeing people run around in that game is hilarious, the mechanics look wretched and like a downgrade from Modern Warfare 2, i loved MW2. but they took a bad turn overall since then

--------------------

OfflineOldgregg
I'm old gregg!
Male

Loc: China Flag
    #21685403 - 05/16/15 12:04 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

already a couple things for this

skip to :52

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: Oldgregg]
    #21685414 - 05/16/15 12:08 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Jesus, i couldn't get the video to play but the placeholder image for the second one with the girl looked terrifying. Imagine the game not realizing the boundaries between reality and it, when your character falls off the map and breaks his neck, that thing looks like it'd glitch out and break your neck irl.

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: Oldgregg]
    #21685434 - 05/16/15 12:15 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

My criminology teacher was telling us in hs they already have full virtuaity simulation as her husband was a navy seal or some crazy shit. She said it was in a room 20 times as big as the classroom and did tours in whatever middle eastern country was hated most at that current time. She said it was fucking nuts. I know she wasn't liein easily one of the best teachers I ever had.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Virtual Reality video games [Re: Enjoywho]
    #21685443 - 05/16/15 12:16 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

And God damn that must have been in 2007 I believe. Graduated in 2009.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

OfflineShroomslip
Architekt

#21685445 - 05/16/15 12:17 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Actually I could see how this would be a bad thing. Imagine playing a survival horror game in that shit.. LOL

They tend to scare the shit out of me enough.. I don't need to be more immersed.

--------------------

OfflineSuspector
A disheveled pattern
Male

#21685470 - 05/16/15 12:25 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
My criminology teacher was telling us in hs they already have full virtuaity simulation as her husband was a navy seal or some crazy shit. She said it was in a room 20 times as big as the classroom and did tours in whatever middle eastern country was hated most at that current time. She said it was fucking nuts. I know she wasn't liein easily one of the best teachers I ever had.

I wouldn't doubt it. I know for sure they also build buildings of places they will eventually raid and practice over and over and over their mission on it, to map out every possible circumstance/possibility that can happen in the mission.
Quote:

Shroomslip said:
Actually I could see how this would be a bad thing. Imagine playing a survival horror game in that shit.. LOL

They tend to scare the shit out of me enough.. I don't need to be more immersed.

Sounds like one way to get someone mentally insane in a wayLOL. I am sure, if the sounds and VR was that realistic it could totally fuck with you, maybe give you a seizure or something if you are more vulnerable to these things. Could probably give you anxiety and such to some extent always being super paranoid of your surroundings.Virtual Reality would be regulated if people were committing suicide because they had some type of PTSD with it, because they saw their insides just pouring out, while come kid with a 9 year old voice is laughing at you calling you a pussy as your bleeding out

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#21685487 - 05/16/15 12:29 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck I still can't play resident evil 2 and silent Hill. Fuck all that. I watched a YouTube video of playing the rift playing a horror game. Fuck all that.

They are that's the thing. The military has billions to spend but  the rift costs 200. And there's countless videos on YouTube of people that literally lose all orientation and people have to be there to catch them falling.

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#21685577 - 05/16/15 01:06 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Suspector said:
Quote:

Enjoywho said:

I wouldn't doubt it. I know for sure they also build buildings of places they will eventually raid and practice over and over and over their mission on it, to map out every possible circumstance/possibility that can happen in the mission.
Quote:

Shroomslip said:

Sounds like one way to get someone mentally insane in a wayLOL. I am sure, if the sounds and VR was that realistic it could totally fuck with you, maybe give you a seizure or something if you are more vulnerable to these things. Could probably give you anxiety and such to some extent always being super paranoid of your surroundings.Virtual Reality would be regulated if people were committing suicide because they had some type of PTSD with it, because they saw their insides just pouring out, while come kid with a 9 year old voice is laughing at you calling you a pussy as your bleeding out

Seriously check out pt if you haven't heard of it. All you do is walk through the creepiest hallway ever with a ghost popping in at random. It took like three weeks for people to find a consecutive key to the puzzle at the end that would work on more than one ps4 console. Some people beat it while standing there doing nothing, and the only guarantee to finish it is to whisper words to the ghost in the mic. The whole game is a constant of jumping in and out of the fourth wall. I'm so fucking pissed it had to get cancelled. At one point in the game it glitches out real bad and shows an error screen, that says in like twenty different languages "fix this glitch before release".

--------------------

In erowid we trust.

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#21685627 - 05/16/15 01:31 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I heard you can't download that anymore. The game designers got laid off and now you can sell your ps4 on eBay for upwards of 1800 dollars.

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#21685651 - 05/16/15 01:42 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Suspector said:
Quote:

Enjoywho said:

Quote:

Shroomslip said:

Yep she mapped out the city streets on Google maps. This is exactly what it looked like. I believe it was Afghanistan but it may have been another. Then we went to an actual court room and mocked an actual court case.

I got tripped up as I don't wear glasses but my character did. I was a witness. Cool ass teacher. :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order