Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

Cardboard Spawn Wrap-up
    #21650649 - 05/07/15 08:30 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I started a thread a few months ago about using B+ shroom stem's to run mycelium on cardboard. Here is the wrap-up. Jar #1 and Jar #2 I had to break up to remove from the jars.

Jar #1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

Re: Cardboard Spawn Wrap-up [Re: The Drunk Toad]
    #21650676 - 05/07/15 08:36 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Jar #2 which was contaminated and also the stem was taken from a mutant mushroom.

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21650721 - 05/07/15 08:47 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Jar #3 Awesome!

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21651978 - 05/08/15 05:25 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

can you explain how you prepared the jars with cardboard?

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisibleImperfect Iam
^means imperfect,not I'm perfect
Male User Gallery

Loc: center of the universe Flag
Re: Cardboard Spawn Wrap-up [Re: eatyualive]
    #21652031 - 05/08/15 06:06 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------
All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be- Pink Floyd

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- John Lennon

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

Re: Cardboard Spawn Wrap-up [Re: Imperfect Iam]
    #21652359 - 05/08/15 08:23 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

1. I have been boiling the cardboard on the stove for about 15 to 20 minutes flipping the board around halfway through the time and I am seeing better results. Cut the cardboard before boiling to size it for your container or jar.

2. While that is boiling I will start preparing my stems by first cutting the mycelium rich last 1/4 inch of the stem butt off. Then I take those stem butts and slice them razor thin with a sharp knife or razor.

3. When the cardboard is done boiling then I carefully separate the outer thin layer and the wavy corrugated layer disposing of the thin outer layer. Then I lay the corrugated cardboard on the bottom of my jar or container.

4. Taking a pair of long tweezers that I wiped down with alcohol I take each individual slice of stem and lay them across the cardboard. Try not to lay the pieces on top of each other so they all have a little room to breathe and not start getting goopy. Keep layering the corrugated cardboard as needed to facilitate more stems.

5. Close the top. I don't put my cardboard jars in incubation temps anymore only room temp in the cupboard above the refrigerator.

I only do this so I don't have to throw away any part of the shroom. I always feel funny throwing away a perfectly good piece of mycelium that can be reused to propagate more shrooms without much effort. I usually do this process while getting prints so I feel like I am doubling my output this way. There is a high possibility of contamination because you must open the jar to transfer to sterile substrate in the end, but I have been experimenting with just pouring the sterile substrate right into my cardboard spawn jar once the mycelium takes over the cardboard. I will let you guys know how that goes. Thanks for your interest.

Edited by The Drunk Toad (05/10/15 09:02 PM)

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21654799 - 05/08/15 08:02 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I also started a project with cardboard spawn on Blue Oyster and Pearl oyster.

Blue Oyster

Pearl Oyster

InvisibleImperfect Iam
Male User Gallery

#21655480 - 05/08/15 11:06 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, I have never saw reg. cubes(that were not wood eaters) consume and fruit off of cardboard :thumbup:, not the best of yields(not meant as a cut down AT ALL) but man, figure out how to get the yield up and man, this would be the shit!

Main thing is u got mushies, right?

--------------------

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21656428 - 05/09/15 08:54 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I appreciate the props man. I am pretty sure it was my set-up instead of the cardboards fault as I had never really read about how to make my Sgfc. I had pretty much taken a container and drilled some holes in it with no apparent design for proper curculation other than not letting too much moisture out. One advantage I did see with the cardboard spawn was the 1/2 pint was taken over nearly a week before any ms jars I would make.
I take that as a proper challenge to get better yields and I will take that to heart. Kind of cool being able to talk about this stuff in an open forum. Me and my closet obsession.

Oh and just to be clear this was brf recipe cakes that a slice of cardboard that I spawned stems too had been placed on top of the cakes in the jar. That is the reason I believe it was my set-up that was to fault instead of the cardboard spawn as larger yields should be expected from a brf cake.

Thanks

Edited by The Drunk Toad (05/10/15 07:31 AM)

InvisibleImperfect Iam
Male User Gallery

#21656471 - 05/09/15 09:07 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck man, it's really cool, most people could give a fuck where the mm came from, they just like the free shit!

Plus man, if you stick around, u will be amazed at how many "friends" you make, I put that in paranthesis cause it's as close as you can come to being friends, without ever meeting them, I talk to a certain group on here more than I do my friends IRL!

I think I may give your tek a shot, but pc the cardboard insead of microwaving, I have done this with oysters before, with mediocre results, to let you in on a little secret I just discovered recently, I fruited some blue oysters off of straight WBS, and that is the best results I have had! This was done in open air, misting at least 3x a day

--------------------

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21660271 - 05/10/15 07:25 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Yes definitely either boil or PC the cardboard. I am deleting even mentioning microwaving the cardboard. The lazy man way was absolutely a Massive Failure! :thumbdown:

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21663019 - 05/10/15 09:32 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Well I would say from the pics you are the best person to advise me on what to do with my oyster jars. I am guessing the oysters don't grow on the sides of the jar? What was your process to get the jars to fruit?

OfflineThe Drunk Toad
Stranger

#21665084 - 05/11/15 12:16 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

It seems that B+ is the only type of cube I can get success with. I have had no luck with A+ or Fiji. I think I will try enriching the cardboard with some type of supplement. Placing the stems on the cardboard I am just trying to widen the surface area of the mycelium not really to get them to eat into the cardboard.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds