Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Contaminated Syringe?
    #2166299 - 12/07/03 01:15 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

In my first grow attempt, I am using 12 BRF cakes. 6 of my cakes were Hawaiian PES, and the other 6 were the "mystery strain" for November from Ralphster. 4 of my jars (2 of each strain) had 2 innoculation points, the remaining had 1 in the centre. On November 28th I innoculated my jars. All of the mystery strain jars are doing well and are showing signs of growth. However, all of my Hawaiian jars seem to be having trouble. Only one hawaiian jar was keeping up with the mystery jars, and today I found that jar to have been contaminated. The other jars only have very minor signs of growth, and I suspect they might be contaminated. I can't be sure, but on some of the jars I think I see the same contaminant that killed my best hawaiian jar.

I followed the same sterilizing procedure for all jars. The jars were pressure cooked at 15 psi for approximately 45 minutes. I innoculated the jars in a clean kitchen on a counter wiped down with lysol. I flamed each syringe needle before innoculating and after every couple of jars were innoculated. The jars are kept in a tupperware container in my closet with a space heater that keeps the temperature in the mid 80s.

Could it be that my hawaiian syringe was contaminated? Are hawaiians more susceptible to contamination and are they slow colonizers? The contaminant is black and it appeared in small patches where the mycelium was growing. I threw out the jar that was definitely contaminated, but I decided to leave the jars that I wasn't sure about for a little while.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: Contaminated Syringe? [Re: Comfortably_Numb]
    #2166401 - 12/07/03 02:04 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

well... if your doing PF tek you should have had 4 innoculation points and shot the spores between the substrate and the sides of the jars. This allows you too witness the first signs of colonization... it will also allow the mycelium to spread evenly. If you just shot the spores in the middle of the jar you could have messed up some water levels by putting all the spore solution in 1 place.

Different strains are all pretty much equally susceptible to contamination..

Make sure you are seperating the possible contaminated ones from th good ones or your asking for more trouble...

--------------------

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Contaminated Syringe? [Re: Innernaut]
    #2166544 - 12/07/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

It is possible that the hawaiian syringe was contaminated. If all of your hawaiian jars end up being contaminated, all of your mystery strain jars colonize fine, and you followed the same proceedure with all of the jars, then I would say it was a bad syringe. It's happened to me before with a different vendor. Sometimes even vendors can't keep out contams 100% of the time. Just contact ralph and tell him what happened. He should replace your syringe no probelm. For future reference, it is not a good idea to mention vendors names when questioning their product. It hurts their business and it is not at all necessary.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleComfortably_Numb
FriendlyStranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Here (not everywhere)
Re: Contaminated Syringe? [Re: Demiurge]
    #2166842 - 12/07/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Innernaut:
I've read that four innoculation points are unnecessary and only open the door for more contamination. It is also easier to use more innoculate than required with more points. The only benefit seems to be quicker colonization and I'm in no great hurry - I just want a successful grow. I can see the colonization on the bottom in the jars with one innoculation point.

I appreciate the help. I'll put the possibly contaminated jars in a separate container.

Demiurge:
It was not my intention to damage Ralph's reputation. I'm sure the plethora of good reports on Ralphster's behalf will outweigh the extremely rare instances where there is an issue. Anyway, if it wasn't Ralphster would you have an issue with me naming the vendor? I've seen people completely bash a vendor's service. If there is a problem with service, a person has every right to make it publicly known (again, not my intention).

Anyway, I have no problem with Ralphster. He has responded to my emails very quickly and the service was fairly fast. I might also add that I'm in Canada, so it is likely that the service is completely separate from the American service. He also seems very willing to appease his customers and make right any wrongs. I've heard nothing but good things about him. I'm sure the occassional minor blemish on his reputation will not hurt his business at all.

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait and see if the jars turn out to be contaminated, I don't want to take advantage of Ralph's hospitality.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation