Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
My first casing attempt
    #2165613 - 12/07/03 02:08 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Dec 7, 12:30am

I took 3 fully collonized PF jars, dunked them for 30+hours and cased them. I had trouble finding peat moss at the local stores so I had to improvise.

I hope this will work.

When I couldnt find the peat I had decided to case them with straight verm. Before leaving the store I went back to see what else was there. I found some cactus potting soil. The ingredients read "This product is regionally formulated and contains organtic materials derived from: composted forest products, sphagnum peat moss, ground dolomitic limestone (pH adjuster) and sand." I mixed the cactus soil with verm about 60/40 cactus/verm. When I put the water in, the water soaked up completely, without any stiring from me. I thought that was weird. Hopfully it is a good sign.

Once the water content was right, I microwaved the covered glass bowl for 5 minutes and stired. I nuked another 5 minutes and stired. I did it for another 5 minutes and let it cool off.

I crumbled the colonized cakes in ziploc bags.

I cased them into 8.5x3x2in foil loaf pans and placed into my terrium.

I plan on keeping the temps around 80-85degF to finish colonizing. When they are ready I will cold shock and drop the temps in my chamber to 70-75degF.

I hope to have shrooms for the New Year!

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: My first casing attempt [Re: niteowl]
    #2165653 - 12/07/03 02:34 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

hehe seems like we were doing the same thing tonight, I just cased some stuff as well, though not my first.

the ingredients sound fine in the catus mix, it should be okay. next time go to a hydroponics store and get coco coir, I get better results with that than peat, about the water being absorbed the same thing happens with coco coir (coir also expands though) it's normal, nothing wierd. good luck!!! =]

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: My first casing attempt [Re: John]
    #2165700 - 12/07/03 02:59 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Thanks jtryptamine!

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineLikwidCid
Re: My first casing attempt [Re: niteowl]
    #2166313 - 12/07/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Niteowl, your casing material sounds very similar to AFOAF's. He was also doing his first casing. Well first one by scratch. He was stupid enough to buy one of those growing kits before. Anyways, his jars of millet were fully colonized for like 3 weeks and he was getting desperate for a growing medium before he got overlay on his millet, if that's even possible. He then went to WalMart for the 3rd time that week looking for verm and peat moss. No luck. He did find this potting soil that had peat moss and some moisture retaining ingredients. He figured that was good enough. He pasturized about 10 pounds of it and have about 3 square feet of casing. Everything seems to be going great in the casings he had hidden from light. The one lil tupperware container he had in light still has no growth. That has to do with light though not the growing medium. He recently decided to hide it from light

BTW This was on Thursday that he made the casing and he has a nice layer of myc all over the casing already and is growing rapidly. He seems to be very happy that he will have shrooms for when his friend comes up from Alabama for Xmas. Hopefully he won't get contams like when he was impatient with the kit he bought.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation