Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs
    #2163676 - 12/06/03 09:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3944545&section=news

Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs
Fri 5 December, 2003 12:14

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Smoking cannabis is not the harmless recreational activity it may seem because it can cause lung damage, researchers said Friday.

Regularly smoking three or four joints a week, even for less than six years, can impair lung function and rob the body of antioxidants that protect cells against damage that can lead to heart disease and cancer.

"Smoking cannabis on a regular basis actually depletes your lung of protective antioxidant substances...and this may have chronic long-term implications for young individuals," said Dr Sarah Nuttall of the University of Birmingham in central England.

In a small study involving 20 people aged 19 to 30, including non-smokers and those who smoked tobacco and cannabis, Nuttall and her team took blood samples, measured lung function and tested for antioxidant markers. She presented the finding at a meeting of the British Thoracic Society in London.

"We found that smokers, compared to non-smokers, had impaired lung function," Nuttall said in an interview.

Cannabis smokers also had significantly lower levels of a protective antioxidant and nitric oxide, which is involved in lung function, than non-smokers.

"These findings are important in young individuals in which the use of cannabis is increasing and may have serious long-term implications for what is currently regarded as a relatively harmless recreational habit," she said.

Dr John Harvey, of the British Thoracic Society, called for more research into the effects of smoking on the lungs.

"It is vital that young people understand the dangers of both cigarette and cannabis smoking since these habits can start having a serious impact on their lungs at an early stage," he said in a statement.

Some European countries have taken a relaxed approach to cannabis use. Although it is technically illegal in the Netherlands, the drug can be bought and used in cannabis coffee shops in the country.

The Netherlands was also the first nation to make cannabis available as a prescription drug in pharmacies for chronically ill patients.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs [Re: motaman]
    #2163686 - 12/06/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yet again, what a load of shit! The sample size is way to small, and the study doesn't take into account that probably all the cannabis smokers in the study smoke it together with tobacco. So all it really says i 'smoking tobacco might impair lung function'. No shit!  :rolleyes:

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2163718 - 12/06/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Smokeing is an effect of prohibition... people who cared would vaporize or cook it or go buy an extract from walgreens or planet k... but noooo....

--------------------

InvisibleOctopusDr
Octi Doci

#2164178 - 12/06/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

No fucking shit smoking causes lung damage. Haha, is this new?

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2164484 - 12/06/03 04:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Worst study design.  Ever.  You can't just not control for the added effects of tobacco smoke unless you have a 3rd group of only tobacco smokers to measure the additional effect of marijuana smoke against.  Plus if the entire sample size is only 20 people(10 smokers, 10 non-smokers), I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to find significant effects that overcome error for a sample that small.  How the hell did this joke even make it into the news? :thumbdown:

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs [Re: bert]
    #2166440 - 12/07/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Alot of anti-drug stuff gets into the news...much more than good actual pro-drug stories :frown:

InvisibleMeetMeInEleusis
employee,ministry oftruth

Loc: atop an isolated mountain...
Re: Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs *DELETED* [Re: DailyPot]
    #2171424 - 12/11/03 08:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by MeetMeInEleusis

Reason for deletion: ..

OfflineZutroye
Duke
Re: Study: Smoking Cannabis Causes Damage to Lungs [Re: MeetMeInEleusis]
    #2171557 - 12/11/03 09:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yeah this study is certainly bullshit but everybody know that smoking anything is bad for your lungs

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service