Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
US troops get new body armor
    #2163038 - 12/06/03 12:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

American soldiers to get new body armour - at last

Julian Borger in Washington
Friday December 5, 2003
The Guardian

The US army has promised to rush new body armour to Iraq by the end of this month after it emerged that tens of thousands of soldiers were sent to the front without the life-saving protective jackets.
Parents of some of the troops have resorted to buying the jackets with their bullet-stopping ceramic inserts themselves and posting them to Iraq. The failure to equip ordinary soldiers properly has caused fury in Congress, where the shortfall in body armour has been contrasted with the generous allocations to other projects in this year's $379bn defence budget.

Most national guard troops and reservists deployed in Iraq have been sent with only Vietnam-era flak jackets that are much less effective in stopping shrapnel and bullets.

The army's new Interceptor vests are lighter, and their ceramic plates can stop bullets from high-velocity assault rifles at short range, as well as bomb shrapnel.

Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University, began agitating for more Interceptor jackets and ceramic plates to be sent to Iraq when he discovered a former student desperately trying to get some for his unit.

"I started to call body armour manufacturers, and I was shocked to find they had received hundreds of calls from parents seeking body Interceptor vests or ceramic plates for their loved ones," Mr Turley said. "I then started calling over to the Pentagon and learned there was a significant shortage in supplying these vests."

"I was told by the Pentagon it was not treated as a priority item," he added. "It does appear that a number of soldiers died by wounds to the central body, so there does seem to be a strong likelihood that we could have saved lives if we had sent enough body armour. I'm mystified by the entire failure."

Congress has criticised the Pentagon for failing to order not only enough body armour for the troops, but also sufficient armoured Humvee vehicles, which would protect patrols in Iraq from roadside bombs and rocket-propelled grenades.

Senator John Warner, the leading Republican on the Senate's armed services committee, said the lack of protective equipment was totally unacceptable.

In congressional testimony, the army's top civilian administrator, Les Brownlee, said the shortages were a result of the Pentagon underestimating the ferocity of the Iraqi resistance.

"Events since the end of major combat operations have differed from our expectations and have combined to cause problems," he said, adding that Interceptor jackets were being rushed to Iraq. Three manufacturers are working overtime to produce the 80,000 jackets and 160,000 plates needed to equip all American troops by the new year.

That is messed up when you are a grown man in the military and you have to ask your mom to mail you some body armor

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: LaCasta]
    #2163123 - 12/06/03 01:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thats good.

Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: ]
    #2164811 - 12/06/03 07:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think thats horseshit. Lets take the money we could use to protect our troops and give each poor person a new porsche!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2165652 - 12/07/03 02:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Way to post something totally pointless and irrelevant to the topic at hand... :thumbup:

People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: LaCasta]
    #2165763 - 12/07/03 03:30 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Your tax dollars at work...

Maybe they should just send poor people off to fight in wars for their welfare cheque? They could deduct the cost of the vest from their payments! Then it wouldn't cost taxpayers anything! Why don't they do that? I'll give you a two word answer...Bill Clinton!

-I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2165839 - 12/07/03 05:57 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
Re: US troops get new body armor [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2167399 - 12/07/03 09:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

enimatpyrt said:
I think thats horseshit. Lets take the money we could use to protect our troops and give each poor person a new porsche!

I got dibs on the first one. a house is cheaper than a porsche and with the money we save we could throw a hell of a party.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion