Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Mindfolds
    #2156056 - 12/03/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

A must have for all psychonauts.

They are closed-eye blind-folds, if you enjoy tripping in the dark, these are for you.
Invented by visionary artist Alex Grey.

Buy MINDFOLDS for $16.oo 

This is not spam.  :evil: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

Re: Mindfolds [Re: Effed]
    #2156130 - 12/03/03 05:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Just go to wal-mart and get some cheap swimming goggles and black them out. Goggles are about $5.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Mindfolds [Re: slime_R]
    #2156936 - 12/03/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You could do that, but this is cooler.

It makes you look like a grandpa with those big glaucoma shades. :tongue: 

Offlinethe free thinker
salesman
Male User Gallery

Loc: twin cities
Re: Mindfolds [Re: Effed]
    #2157056 - 12/03/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

why is it called a mindfold? lol.

--------------------

OfflineBluewave
ShredMonkey

Re: Mindfolds [Re: the free thinker]
    #2157236 - 12/04/03 12:26 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I guess it's a BLINDfold for the MIND

--------------------
"There is no I in ego death"

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Mindfolds [Re: Bluewave]
    #2158919 - 12/04/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

it blocks out both sight and hearing as far as I know, which is why it's different than just blacking out a pair of goggles. It's like semi-sensory depravation. I could be wrong but thats what i seem to remember when i heard about them ages ago.

Offlinemishmush
Chronic King
Re: Mindfolds [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2162536 - 12/05/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

doesn't look like it blocks out hearing. Look at the picture of the glasses by themself its just goggles basically.

OfflineCHeeCHer
Silver searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: Chair
Re: Mindfolds [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2162600 - 12/05/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

or you could spend .25 cents on some of those foam thingys that go in ur ear....

--------------------
I'm like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
Re: Mindfolds [Re: CHeeCHer]
    #2162627 - 12/05/03 06:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

you know that's G.W. Bush in the pic right?

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
Re: Mindfolds [Re: mishmush]
    #2162654 - 12/05/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mishmush said:
doesn't look like it blocks out hearing. Look at the picture of the glasses by themself its just goggles basically.

it's got earplugs as well....

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Mindfolds [Re: billy cuts]
    #2163092 - 12/05/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'd rather be able to hear... I like the darkness, but I love the music.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Mindfolds [Re: djd586]
    #2163757 - 12/06/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

well, it's cheaper than a floatation tank :wink: ...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2163843 - 12/06/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

billy cuts said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlinejahfeelirie
meatwad

#2165628 - 12/07/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

billy cuts said:

yep, i saw a short clip of him putting it on in one of his planes on the alex grey site i believe.

strange marketing ploy IMHO. lol

--------------------
my signature is too long

OfflinePsiloSteve
Bioinformant
Re: Mindfolds [Re: jahfeelirie]
    #2166546 - 12/07/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

what a ripoff

--------------------
Don't worry be happy!

Offlineprettyboy
Stranger
Mindfolds are incredible! [Re: PsiloSteve]
    #3272580 - 10/24/04 06:31 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Mindfolds are incredible -- deceivingly simple but soo powerful!

i wore one this weekend for 12 hours.. tripped out in a tent under the rain on a cliffside, eventually slept in it and woke up the next day still wearing it.

blacked out goggles aren't *nearly* the same thing:

a) goggles aren't comfortable. period.
they are meant to keep water out, not light... hence they are air-tight and form a suction on your eyes. do you want to wear that for 12 hours? cause i don't. you'd come out with big red rings on your eye sockets and probably a headache from the pressure.

the mindfold is soft foam and form-fitting, with a wide and adjustable fabric strap, not a hair-pinching rubber band.

b) even if you use a thick marker or even paint, i *gaurantee* some light will get through a missed/thin spot. plus, markers and paint don't entirely block out strong direct light sources unless you put like 20 coats on it. how long would that take...

the plastic on the mindfold blocks out ALL light, even looking directly at the sun. this is so important it's the entire point of the device! if even the tiniest amount of light can be distinguished, it completely ruins the power of this kind of tool.

as far as being a "ripoff", i'm wondering what your basis for 'value' is anyway.. you'll spend hundreds of dollars on drugs, but $16 for a device to make those drugs so much more potent is a ripoff. and $20 for a CD isn't.....

no, it isn't $16 of raw materials. it's just a piece of plastic glued to a piece of die-cut form with a velcro strap. oooh. but in that sense, a $400 snowboard is just a piece of fibreglass.

the point of a mindfold is to have your eyes open with absolutely *no* external visual reference *comfortably*. this is incredibly pyschologically potent -- why cheapen it with a cheap workaround?

it's light, portable and well made. there's SO many things you can do with it beyond the obvious:

1. teach yourself an insturment --> the most effective way to improve on an insturment is by FEEL, not by looking.. the visual input can actually confuse you more, as you look at your fingers and try to remember which to move.

there's an old trick that goes like this: cross your hands, turn the palms toward each other, and interlace your fingers. then turn your wrists upright. have someone point at a finger and be amazed when your brain gets 'confused' at which finger to send the signal to. most people move the wrong finger, or have to think real hard to get it right.

learning an insturment by looking can be like that.

wearing the mindfold REMOVES the visual 'clutter' from your focus and allows you to fully concentrate on developing the pathways in your brain to move your fingers correctly by feel.

2. escape, anywhere. --> living in the city sucks because it can be very difficult to find quiet places to relax your mind. the mindfold allows you to find that space pretty much anywhere, even ugly concrete places. this is a very healthy thing to be able to do. yeah yeah everyone knows people need to stress less. but how many people actually do it? or find the time to? the mindfold can let you do that anywhere, even something as claustrophobic and cattle-herding-like as a crowded subway.

3. improve your spatial skills --> have you ever tried doing something you normally have no trouble with while blindfolded? it's hard!

but more importantly, it makes you realize just how much of how you know your world is by sight... when you REMOVE sight, you force yourself to figure out how to understand your world using the rest of your senses. with a mindfold on, you learn how to 'map' your surroundings in your head more, and understand where you are in relation to them. trust me, this skill is invaluable and will no doubt spill over even when the mindfold is not on.

example: yesterday by complete 'fluke' i managed to parallel park a car with literally about 6 inches in front and less than a foot in the back. while i figured this was mostly a happy accident, i can't help but think part of this was because maybe i'm getting better at 'seeing' in my head without actually physically seeing ---> i directly credit the mindfold for that.

4. sex games. yeah yeah everyone knows sex in the dark is fun, but with this, it doesn't have to be at night, it's pitch black for real (not just 'dark'), and no one cheats... also, just ONE person wearing one is intensely fun as well... blindfolds are nothing new to sex, but being able to keep your eyes totally open during it is. also..... if you think a threesome is good, imagine one when everyone is wearing these... it's just bodies everywhere...........

5. make fantasy and imagination real --> this goes back to tripping but applies to sex as well... basically, with your eyes open but not seeing anything, whatever you are thinking becomes entirely 'real' to you... it's just how most human brains are wired to interpret what reality is. in other words, "seeing is believing".... maybe more accurately: "experiencing something with your eyes open is believing".

6. music appreciation. again, it's all about focus... when your eyes are open, you are sending visual input to your brain. your brain is like a computer --> that input uses your brain's resources to compute, analyze, interpret, whatever.... just like having 1000 programs open at once slows your computer's performance down, the brain power required to deal with this visual input takes away from the brain power you could be using to more fully appreciate the music with.

don't underestimate the extreme difference between closing your eyes and having them open!

there is an entire mental process that gets 'shut off' (the visual cortex) when you close your eyes. not literally since your brain is always on the go, but the processing changes. there's no need to get into the biological specifics of this, but the fact is, parts of your brain operate differently when your eyes are open vs closed.

there's just sooooo much more value to this device beyond the material cost alone. and there's no reason it shouldn't last a lifetime if you take care of it. i consider it an investment. frankly, $16 a bargin for this wonderfully powerful tool. we are lucky to have it at our disposal so cheaply and easily. big thanks to Alex Grey...

it is entirely worth the money.

prettyboy.

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: Mindfolds are incredible! [Re: prettyboy]
    #3272745 - 10/24/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Floatation Tank?
Is that what Dr. John C. Lily was into?

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Mindfolds are incredible! [Re: Great Scott]
    #3277799 - 10/26/04 12:09 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

fun toys.  effed i still haven't managed to keep them on for more than a minute or so during any high dose trip.

the blue and purple tunnels keep creeping up on me... :smile:

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom