Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenihilist
another systemof control

Loc: USA
micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s
    #2145642 - 11/30/03 12:32 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I want to build a glove box to help me fight off contams that have been plagueing me. I'm curious abo9ut the micron filters I have. I've got a choice of three to use. I've got the 70 mm synthetic microm filter disks, those really thin ones that are a lot wider, and the filter patches off the bags. I also want to use a piece of plexi glass instead of the rubbermaid tubs own lid. I plan on using weather strip (like the stuff from cars or something similar. Here is my concernes;

1) I'm really concerned about the thin ones or the filter patches for my work, but at the same time i'm worried that the 70 mm filter disks won't allow enough air to flow in at once causing my fan to blow. which filter would be best to use?

2) if I used a lot of C-clamps to firmly fasten the plexi glass to the top of the tub, will weather strip allow air through it? if so, is there anything better that you guys like to use for a good seal?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenihilist
another systemof control

Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: nihilist]
    #2145696 - 11/30/03 01:25 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

sorry everyone. I should have posted this one in the general cultivation forum, stoned mistake.

Offlinebangandow
Stranger
    #2156997 - 12/03/03 10:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

If you have the fan hooked up, it won't matter if it's completely sealed. The fan blows in air and creates positive pressure. If all the air's escaping, none can come in except the filtered air being sucked in by the fan.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2159505 - 12/04/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

With a little ingenuity, an inexpensive Holmes HEPA air cleaner and ionizer, with air ducted through some white flexible 4" dryer hose through a coffee can port, and out the other side through a poly-fill stuffed coffee can vent can be completely effective. Use a plastic lids for the cans with cut outs for holding in the polyfill. Plastic shop-vac vacuum parts can be use to direct air through hose. Gummed aluminum rain gutter tape and aquarium sealer makes for permanent airtight devices.

Forget clamps. Home Depot has small brass box latches with flat hooks-through-loops. They can be attached to plexiglass and box with small brass nuts and machine screws, and wood screws, respectively. The brass looks good and resists rust.

Just some suggestions.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2161188 - 12/05/03 11:31 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Unless you are building a real laminar flow hood, I suggest a still-air glove box which doesn't require any type of filter material. I had much better success rates with the sealed type than several designs of positive pressure boxes. IMO positive pressure should be saved for the lab or growroom/terrerium itself, not a glove box.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: mycofile]
    #2162439 - 12/05/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i would have to agree. i simply don't understand this trend in positive pressure cabinets with underpowered fans over simple gloveboxes. a flow terminal would be great, but if people aren't going to biuild one, why not go with the time-tested simplicity of a still air environment?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: canid]
    #2162452 - 12/05/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Personally a el-cheapo glovebox worked to eliminate all of my contams. I guess more complicated is, in a way, cool, but the easier and cheaper it is, the more whatever I can buy

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: mycofile]
    #2162828 - 12/05/03 08:35 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This combines glove-box old tech with HEPA filtration. The gloves are connected to half-coffee cans with duct tape, which are connected to lengths of dryer hose which are connected to half coffee cans with hose clamps,which in turn are fastened to the front of the box. Florida is florid with airborn microorganisms. The filtration system is used to purge the non-sterile air from the box, and to provide positive pressure when opening the lid to add/remove items. Otherwise, the air is left still.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinenihilist
another systemof control

Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2162969 - 12/05/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, I wanted to do a negative pressure box, with a bathroom far mounted on the top with air coming in through the filters.

I DO think a still air environment would be a good method, but I don't want to spray too much alcohol inside my terrariums and harm the colonized rye i'm putting in the bottom. And i just thought a hepa filter would be the best way to achieve complete sterilization. well, with alcohol too.

InvisibleMrPink
Stranger
    #2163207 - 12/05/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Are you sure a glovebox is your answer to fighting off these contams? A small HEPA unit and a spray bottle full of isopropyl alcohol should eliminate your contamination problems with a lot less work then building a glove box. Your movement is also less restricted when you use a HEPA, compared to a glovebox... consider it.

Invisiblemah2b1
Researcher
 User Gallery

Loc: Mid-West, USA
Re: micron filters and weather strip - two glove box ?s [Re: MrPink]
    #2163366 - 12/06/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I used to work in a walk-in closet lined with plastic, ran a small HEPA filter in there. Had about a 75-80%+ success rate (varies with season) with open air transfers. Now that I look back on it, I think that I should have worn a face mask to keep my breathing contams down. Probably would have added an extra ten 10%

Anyway, i would always shower and put on clean clothes sprayed down with disinfectant before entering the room. Then spray down the room with lysol or isopropyl spray, and wait ten minutes with an open torch flame going to help kill off contams. My only fear of working in that room was not the fact that my stuff would get contaminated, but ....
...because I had that open torch flame I might subcome to CO/CO2 poisoning.

--------------------
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale