Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblestevo
Compost

Loc: The mushroom kingdom
Spring Flammulina
    #21605557 - 04/27/15 09:10 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

This is sort of a mix of outdoor cultivation and mushroom hunting , but I feel it would be of high interest in this forum.  In the middle of winter is when this mushroom comes up and usually stops fruiting by march around my way.

Notice the snow.

But I piled a huge ass log "disk" on top of a fruiting spot, sprinkling a little grass seed under there for symbiotic exchange of gasses.  I've been lifting this log up periodically and finding fruits that look like this

That pic was taken on april 13, way past it's normal fruiting season.  After a few days of 80F temps.  The huge log traps the cool temps from the ground and buffers it with its large thermal mass.  It is still fruiting today, though I didn't have a camera.  But who likes puny wimpy mushrooms?  Next time rain is predicted, I'm going to lift up the log the night before and see if I can get nice fat caps. 

Those hunters who found enokis this winter might want to pile some logs or blocks over the spot.  I find this unbelievable :smile:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLucisM
Nutritional Yeast

Re: Spring Flammulina [Re: stevo]
    #21605929 - 04/27/15 10:18 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I always enjoyed the odor of Enokitake, I can usually smell them before I see them.

One thing that sucks about these, having to remove the pellicle in order to cook properly.

Invisiblestevo
Compost

Loc: The mushroom kingdom
Re: Spring Flammulina [Re: Lucis]
    #21606038 - 04/27/15 10:40 PM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't remove the pellicle and the texture bothered me.  Nice to know it was the mushroom's fault and not my cooking.  I was told by someone  that only the stem need be pealed.  Honestly I didn't enjoy eating them as much as finding them.  They are really useful for composting wood and paper waste, and just kind of okay for a meal in my book.  What an eerie feeling that was cooking up a wood rotting LBM.  Gave me nightmares actually lol.  And you're right they do have a pleasant earthy smell.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification