Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinephEight
fate
Loc: houston, tx
Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep?
    #2159815 - 12/05/03 12:31 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

The other night, I was laying in bed just contemplating thoughts as I waited for sleep to takeover me. Though what happen, happens while I am asleep, or perhaps if I wake up during my sleep, it has never happen going to sleep.

I was laying there with my eyes open, and was thinking about something for my physics class, I remember looking at the teacher (not literally, but these are the mental images I was having) and all of a sudden, deathly terror struck me, the teachers face withered away so fast, dreadful thoughts went through my head faster then I thought possible, and there was, sitting there with my eyes open, paralyzed. I couldn't move a muscle, yet I was fully conscience and awake. I was in terror, yet I knew this has happen before a few times and it's just going to be a long, hell filled night. I tried to stop it, my mind was racing... eventually it wore off, then again it kicked in and this time I was laughing, not in joy, but somehow laughing in terror perhaps trying to convince myself everything is ok or trying to make myself feel better by laughing. I was laughing yet I could not move. Sooner or later, I fell asleep and all is fine.

Is there any scientific name for this? Has this happen to anyone of you?

--------------------
"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by phEight (12/05/03 03:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: phEight]
    #2159862 - 12/05/03 12:47 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Your eyes were open?

I have had wierd images pass through my mind with eyes shut, but never through my field of vision.

That's creepy!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinenamaste
RuNnINg OwL
 User Gallery

Loc: Fiddler's Green
    #2159881 - 12/05/03 12:58 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

It's called the hypnagogic(sp) state. Yeah, it's freaky but it's peak time for astral travel.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2159936 - 12/05/03 01:18 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

When I was younger, I used to get something like this whenever I had a fever. I would be just about to fall asleep, when all of a sudden I would feel a rush of what I can only describe as a mix of anger and violence (intended). Along with this, my vision would fill with rolling masses of black (impossible to describe) which were, in essence, the rush of anger and violence. It felt like cowering in the middle of a battlefield, while all around you people tore at each other in blind rage - enough so that the rage itself takes on form and bears down upon you. I was unable to move as well.

Very frightening. Is this what they call "night terrors"?

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinebeam
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: trendal]
    #2160579 - 12/05/03 06:39 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Its also called sleep paralysis, meaning your body was asleep but your mind was awake.

I have had this as well, and it is scares the hell out of most people

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: beam]
    #2160589 - 12/05/03 06:53 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

I like it. I have alot of experience with it. It's right at the very second where you're actually faling asleep. The mind is too awake though. You need to minimize distractions with maybe earplugs or music to change your feelings. My experience was that when I started falling asleep for a split second I would be able to hear things from really far away like I mean really really far away. I had to start wearing earplugs because I couldn't tell people two blocks away to stop snoring. I would hear remarkable things and it would shock me out of being able to fall asleep. I started to watch the second before sleep and found the slight moment where the mind let go. At that second everything is possible without having to make any sense or have any relation to anything else.

This is the gap between states of consciousness and said to be the state of turiya or transcendence. In this state much can happen. Including hidden emotions resurfacing, and people's faces becoming crystal clear in mind. It's a really cool state, the same state that people try to obtain in trance. Maybe read up on some dream working. It's a very creative place. Make it work for you. On the other hand, this is the place of kaivalya as described by Patanjali and it is the source of sidhis.

--------------------
...or something

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: beam]
    #2160660 - 12/05/03 08:08 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

beam said:
Its also called sleep paralysis, meaning your body was asleep but your mind was awake.

I have had this as well, and it is scares the hell out of most people

I had this the other night!

It seemed to last about five minutes, and while I lay there paralyzed, with my eyes wide open, I heard a noise at the back door. I was terrified! I thought someone was trying to break in and I was frozen awake.

It turned out that the lockbox on the door was being rattled by the wind and was beating against the door.

pretty scary shit!

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: sirreal]
    #2161155 - 12/05/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

You guys realize there's another sleep paralysis thread in the Pub right now?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2161157 - 12/05/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

You just had the sleep paralysis which is an automatic mechanism your body uses to keep you from acting out your dreams and harming yourself or others. Fear is a common reaction to realizing that you are in this state. You feel wide awake mentally, and when you realize you can't move, it produces fear when you think of how unprotected your body is. You may sense entities nearby; Don't be afraid- they are in no way physical and cannot harm you. You may also think your eyes are wide open. They aren't. You are seeing with second sight.

As someone mentioned this is an ideal time to self-will an OBE if you can calm your fear and take control of the experience.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: Jellric]
    #2161242 - 12/05/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Happens to me all the time, just about every night...these conscious theta states.

I may be crazy, but this is what I do.. as sort of my sleep ritual.
Relax my body and muscles by focusing on them one at a time
Think about the days events, my future plans, things of that nature
Then I call my Pleiadian friends and ask for a Sleep Chamber, which is basically a grid of light energy that surrounds you and aids in a regenerative, efficient, dream-assisting, sleep cycle.
At this point I usually start to drift away into unconsciousness. During the theta (transition) state, I can either fall into it and sleep, or keep my thoughts going and sort of linger in between awake and sleep. Weird things happen when I do that.

The other night I was chilling in theta, and I felt this extremely weird sensation on my back, which the closest thing my subconscious could compare it to at the time was that of a bumblebee doing surgery on my spine. I could distinctly hear this bzzzzzzzzzz noise, and felt a localized vibration in my back, moving around. It scared me so I woke myself up with a jump.. then I felt disapointed like I had missed something important. I think it was either the start of the oob vibrations, or some sort of energetic cleansing work being done to my body.

But yeah.. the theta state is the one we spend the least amount of time in, therefore are the most unfamiliar with.. but it is also one of the most interesting...

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #2161276 - 12/05/03 01:57 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

The ways people have learned to control their minds is beginning to facinate me...it is seriously making me want to consider learning about meditation...I know that is possibly a huge task but the more I read these forums the more I want to explore it...I'd love to have the mental power to experience new natural states of mind, seems that people who are skilled at meditation are able to achieve drug-induced like experiences completely on their own.

I want to make a comment on what trendal said...the few times I've had a really bad fever, I remember how fucked up mentally I was when I was trying to sleep....I was still in high school and had never touched a drug but now that I have years later looking back it seems that I was basically hallucinating...but whenever I would close my eyes I'd see myself travelign down this dark, pixelated tunnel...similar to what trendal said waves of black, I can see what he is saying....but anyway this would appear whenever I closed my eyes and I couldn't stop it and I couldnt' sleep...I stayed up all night just viewing these scary hallucinations and that was probably the worst night of my life...maybe now I could appreciate those tunnels... :smile:

Back to what I said before, anyone have any recommendations on books on meditation, good intros...I don't want something easy though, I want to read something that woudl be adequately challenging for a newbie to meditation...thanks

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2161281 - 12/05/03 01:58 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

The other night I was chilling in theta, and I felt this extremely weird sensation on my back, which the closest thing my subconscious could compare it to at the time was that of a bumblebee doing surgery on my spine.

A few years ago I experienced something similar. I was lying in bed and realized I was in sleep paralysis. This will sound crazy, but at first I thought a mouse was running over my throat, but then I realized it had no feet, but was sliding over my throat. When it continued and went under the back of my neck I knew I was dealing with something non-physical.

I have also been woken up in a dream, and would be lying down next to a pool of water in a Greco-Roman styled complex. A woman approaches me and starts sending soothing, healing vibrations into my body. Energy-work I think you called it. That's what it seemed like- she was tuning-up my soul or energy body. It probably happens often at night to many of us, we just don't always remember it. Sleep is a pit-stop for the soul.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2161296 - 12/05/03 02:01 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Very much so. I will spare you all the details...but my sleep cycles are full of interactions with otherwordly entities and adventures on the astral plane.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2161316 - 12/05/03 02:05 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

so uh...that begs the question; have you ever fucked an elf, and or alien?

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: Positronius]
    #2161351 - 12/05/03 02:13 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

many times

OfflinephEight
fate
Loc: houston, tx
    #2161751 - 12/05/03 03:54 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Very cool, as terrifying as it was it was still one of those things that I'm glad it happen.

Next time this happens to me again, I'll try to use it for the better.

Thanks!

--------------------
"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2161851 - 12/05/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

It's called the hypnagogic sleep state. It's kind of when you're half asleep and half awake at the same time. It varies from indiviual to indiviual,but it can produce some intense alteration in consciousness. I happens to everybody to a certain degree,but as with most things wierd,people don't like to talk about it openly.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: monoamine]
    #2161944 - 12/05/03 04:46 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

you are very close to projection, just... let go

--------------------
i am another you

Offlinebeam
Re: Why does this happen sometimes while I am going to sleep? [Re: sirreal]
    #2163093 - 12/06/03 12:52 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

What also can happen is that you get paralyzed and instead of being nothing you have an hallucination or a dream of someone or something attacking or about to attack you and your paralyzed. That is the scariest one of them all.

Alien abduction stories are theorized to be caused by this, can't remember the name of them i think someone mentioned it in this thread somewhere. maybe hypnogenic something. People also report waking up and feeling pain after these sometimes.

OfflineMonkah
abreactionsynchronicity
Loc: location? i exist somwher...
    #2163619 - 12/06/03 08:26 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

ive only had this happen to me once that i was "aware" of.
though im sure it has happend other times.

i was having a dream in wich i was aware i was dreaming
but i do not like to control my dreams.
i just let them flow out.
there was this one point where i found a cave
and went inside.
it was a fractal cave. and i got verry lost inside.
then for a moment. i woke up.
i supose i needed to find myself....
i was in two places at once.
there was me, asleep and paralyzed
and then there was another me, consciously traped in my hand.
it was at the corner between my thumb and pointer finger.
i was able to percieve from both points at the same time.
but my body was paralyzed....
and thus i found my way out of my fractal cave of a hand.

--------------------
*NEW!* from Monkah Inc.The "Silence game" hold an exhilerating game between you and a friend,see who finds silence first! (warning:M. Inc. patented silence-in-its-self,failure to pay up will result in sending satan after you! err,we mean our laywer!)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology