Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedisney_psychedelic
cipherist
Male

Loc: basement, cookin the book...
Inverting monotub cake?
    #21596145 - 04/25/15 05:41 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

hello all, I currently have a monotub nearing full colonization with scattered green mold contam on the top surface ( anyone who has dealt with contams introduced by airborne spores knows what I mean by "scattered") the contam was introduced during the middle of the colonization stage when I had to open the tub to remove something from the substrate, fairly certain its trich as i see a small spot that is white, (could be penicillin accompanied by cobweb though) since colonization is within 48 hours of complete and the contam is so early in its development i don't think it will pose any major threat to the mycelium as a whole but it is dispersed in such a way as to make the top surface unusable for fruiting, as a result i had an interesting idea to utilize this "cake" for a single flush anyway. i wanted to see what everyone else thought of my idea.

the tub im using is clear and i didn't use a liner of any kind so i can view the bottom surface, while the top surface is approx. 80% colonized the bottom if far closer to completely colonized (i think this can be attributed to a superior co2/moisture environment at the bottom of the sub) and the bottom of the sub is completely free of contams as it was never exposed to the airborne spores that caused the top surface contam.

i thought that perhaps if once it is fully colonized i were to free the substrate "cake" from the tub and invert it I could use the "bottom" surface as the fruiting surface and give myself enough time to get at least one flush out of this cake before the mycelium succumbs to the contam, also in the process of inverting the sub i could apply a paste of salt and baking soda to the infected surface, which i have found in the past usful for stunting the growth of mold infections.

ill be trying this and keeping you all posted on how it goes, it may turn out to be a usefull way to salvage one good flush out of trays with minor surface contams caused by noob mistakes like mine

--------------------
I try to avoid alcohol... when I can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBLINKfan420
Jedi
I'm a teapot

Re: Inverting monotub cake? [Re: disney_psychedelic]
    #21596155 - 04/25/15 05:44 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

A lot of people are going to tell you toss it.

If you keep it you'll have to wipe everything down and sterlize it before the next use.

BLiNK

--------------------

All my pictures are drawn from imagination.  I don't even know what a mushroom is.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #21596156 - 04/25/15 05:45 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

disney_psychedelic said:
hello all, I currently have a monotub nearing full colonization with scattered green mold contam on the top surface ( anyone who has dealt with contams introduced by airborne spores knows what I mean by "scattered") the contam was introduced during the middle of the colonization stage when I had to open the tub to remove something from the substrate,

no, it was not introduced then provided you are working with a pasturized sub, it more then likely came from your spawn
i'm gonna say your sub is gonna go some pretty colors quickly and you will be trashing it

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinedisney_psychedelic
cipherist
Male

Loc: basement, cookin the book...
Re: Inverting monotub cake? [Re: cronicr]
    #21596208 - 04/25/15 06:03 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

yeah that was the issue, I didn't pasteurize, I sterilized, I know I know, I had planned on pasteurizing but I couldn't find my thermometer the day of and decided to just bring it up to a full boil for 5 hours.

normally I would agree that tossing now would be the best choice but I really don't want to have to toss it as I don't have any more spawn at the moment and my last mono went kaput out of the gate

--------------------
I try to avoid alcohol... when I can.

InvisibleBuck513

#21596270 - 04/25/15 06:19 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

disney_psychedelic said:
decided to just bring it up to a full boil for 5 hours.

Quote:

disney_psychedelic said:

normally I would agree that tossing now would be the best choice but I really don't want to have to toss it as I don't have any more spawn at the moment

:freshwtf:

Have fun breathing in mold:rockon:

--------------------
Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisibleGrey
⇜ ✯ ⇝
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Inverting monotub cake? [Re: Buck513]
    #21596940 - 04/25/15 09:21 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Dig it a shallow grave and bury it. You may get some fruits outside.

--------------------

:takingnotes:  AMU Q&A  :takingnotes:

If you don't have a plan of your own, you'll become a part of somebody else's.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags