Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Quick question about columnar cacti
    #2158662 - 12/04/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all. I went back to the headshop today and I noticed that the base of the two peruvianus that they have is about half the width of the upper part of the cacti. When I asked to see it up close, he brought it and the cacti sorta wobbled very subtly in the pot. Perhaps this is only due to loose soil, but I would like to know if it's a sign of an unhealthy cactus if the base is about half the width of the top half. Right now the base is about 3/4 inch wide, and the top is double that.

Is this likely to cause problems when the cactus becomes more mature? Currently they're both only 5 inches so it doesn't topple over, but I'm concerned about what will happen when the cacti become 2 or 3 feet tall.

Suppose that they were to topple several months down the road. Is there anything that could be done to continue their growth? Could the grower, for instance, cut off the bottom half, where it starts to get narrower, and replant the top half? Is this unrecommended? Would securing the cactus disrupt its growth? If not, then how would one go about it? I don't want to disrupt the cacti too much, but at the same time I don't want to waste my money on unhealthy specimens.

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: megaman3]
    #2158728 - 12/04/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If it ever turns into a real problem, build a wooden frame and prop it up... I've seen it done for huge san pedro cuttings...

Maybe put 2 sticks on either side, and tie strings to hold it in place as it grows.. kind of like they do for seedlings in the park... kind of awkward for a peruvianus though :P

--------------------

Edited by HarveyWalbanger (12/04/03 06:22 PM)

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #2160563 - 12/05/03 06:12 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's a lighting problem symptom. Either too much or too little.

--------------------
...or something

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: eve69]
    #2160627 - 12/05/03 07:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Eve69, if it is indeed a lighting problem, wouldn't that mean that they are not healthy cacti? Other than the smaller base, they are both a nice dark green with nice long spines and look happy and healthy.

In any case, they're a nice width on the top half to top 2/3, so if it became too wobbly, would it be feasible for the grower to cut the cactus where it starts to become narrower, and plant the top part as a new cutting? For a cutting to be successful, does it have to be a certain height? Currently the cacti are both about 5 inches tall, so if I were to do what I am suggesting, then I would be cutting them down to approx 2.5 - 3 inches. Is this too small for a cutting?

Or how about if I were to put some sand or soil around the base, thus filling in the tapered gap and making it a more even column. Would that work, or would it suffocate the roots and/or make it difficult for the cactus to grow vertically? In effect, I would be burrying the smaller lower part of the cactus. Since this would effectively block out light from reaching the base, would this be detrimental to the cactus' growth? If it would be, then how about if I put some transparent marbles around the base to support it? Would that prevent the soil below the marbles from breathing well?

Finally, I'd like to know if cacti in general, and Peruvianus / San Pedro specifically, prefer packed soil or loose soil.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by megaman3 (12/05/03 07:35 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2161021 - 12/05/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

[edit: i misread the post before. i had it with the bases wider than the upper growths.]

in any event, this does not make the plant weak, merely smaller. as long sa the roots are alive and clean, the top growth[s] are growing and there are no injuries between to open the plant up to pathogens, these are extremely hardy and resiliant cacti, and the subjective health is reflected only by the prior season's conditions. if you where to buy it and let it grow verry large, the smaller base would eventualy have trouble supporting the thing, and cutting/rerooting would be advisable, but this would only put it off for a season, and it would resume it's singular task of growing.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: canid]
    #2161494 - 12/05/03 02:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

how lame.

FH

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2162146 - 12/05/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

also:

i do not recomend staking if you plan to let it grow verry large, as it will be injured by any twine used to tie it it shakes or sways more than just a little. if it where to wear through the skin, it would have a[nother] vector for pathogens to get at it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: canid]
    #2163376 - 12/06/03 03:47 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds that this speciemen ?re grown from seed, not a cutting, right? If so there is the reason.
Specimens grown from seeds are much thinner in the base than a cutting with allredy desierd thickness at the base.
?
That?s my two cents..and yes if you cut it..just treat it like what it is..a cutting.

peace...

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Quick question about columnar cacti [Re: stonErollEr1]
    #2164565 - 12/06/03 05:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Makes sense guys. I mean, it wouldn't die if it toppled over, so I was worrying about nothing. What else is new? Hehe...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden