Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin?
    #2156614 - 12/03/03 10:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

say if money is not a problem, then what can I, as an individual, do to change the laws against psilocybin? Can I go to legislature and demand they prove it's harm towards my well-being or others? I remember hearing Terence McKenna say that if somebody had enough money and will power, they could make the government remove psilocybin from being a scheduled drug, because there obvioulsy is no evidance it is harmful to anyone's well being and that prohibiting it's use/possession, the government is violating our civil rights and liberties.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: chodamunky]
    #2156673 - 12/03/03 10:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

oh god i relly hope this starts a long thread of ideas. hope you don't mind sharing what ideas people contribute? as soon as i know what to do, i'm out on the front fuckin lines fighting this war on drugs.

i've started by educating people. i have a shirt that reads "ask me why its time to end the war on drugs" in fabric paint, and people ask me (i fuckin love the cute grrls :-) and i tell them, and some people actually change their minds. like, you should see the looks of surprise. as if they do give a shit and they have just been lied to, and havent gotten a chance to see things from a different perspective cause of the subtle thought-police.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

InvisibleMeetMeInEleusis
employee,ministry oftruth

Loc: atop an isolated mountain...
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? *DELETED* [Re: chodamunky]
    #2156780 - 12/03/03 11:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by MeetMeInEleusis

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: MeetMeInEleusis]
    #2156812 - 12/03/03 11:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

We'd have to get like a million signatures.

And send it to the government, with a proper, 400 page valid argument.
And a good lawyer.

=]

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Offlinetheprofessional
yep yep yep eyp

Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: RuNE]
    #2156948 - 12/04/03 12:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The first step would be to get a group of researchers to discover the positive medicinal uses of psilocybin, then have it approved by the FDA for medicinal use in the United States. Then we would have to fight to have it legalized for recreational use, just as we are with marijuana.

Personally I think that all drugs should be legalized, even cocaine & heroin. The crime rate in the US would be dramastically cut down.

my 2 cents

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: entiformatie]
    #2156980 - 12/04/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

entiformatie, that's an awesome way to educate people using your t-shirt as the ice breaker. :thumbup:   

ok, im sure we can cook up a long ass document and get a good lawyer, but  a million signatures? Did the goverment go around asking thousands of people to sign a paper saying "Do you want psilocybin to be a schedule one drug?" Thinkgs can get better, but only if we do something about it.

Look at the civil rights black people fought (and died) for in America.

Look at the way gay people won their rights after hundreds of  years of hiding their true self and being harshly discriminated, or even killed when they revealed it.

And look at us, the drug culture, repressed, forced underground, everyday we're being discriminated and thrown in prison, our lives being controlled and our freedoms taken away, all because the goverment decided to make nature against the law! Just look at Shroomery's news forum, a young man may get 11 years in prison for growing psilcybin mushrooms in his home, while real criminals who commit murder, can get out of prison in half that time! the story is here  Ack I say, ack! 

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #2157001 - 12/04/03 12:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

entiformatie: Why is it time to end the war on drugs?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2157131 - 12/04/03 01:34 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

lol, alright. first tho, let it be known i never rehearse these, i just let them flow. they end up being chains of explosions of emotion and logical thinking.

anywho. ima break this down
1) prohibition creates drug cartels
2) WOD makes it hard for people to trust authorities, and generally unwise too
3) every other country thats had some kind of drug reform is experiencing positive results, while we keep having more and more drug addicts
4) the people who don't want treatment are being forced into it, and the people who do want treatment are too afraid because of the way it's looked down upon (so has been my experience, and that of those i know)
5) the entire taboo of it makes it impossible, or dangerous for politicians to speak out against the WOD
6) it is costing us a lot of money to keep nonviolent drug users in jail, when voluntary treatment would be cheapter
7) lumping drug users and violent people in jails together makes for dangerous situations
8) there are other very effective ways to help people who need it/want it, that work, without putting us in a huge deficit, taking away our rights, and keeping everybody paranoid and at each other's throats.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#2157152 - 12/04/03 01:39 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I do my part to change the laws against psilocybin by openly admitting that I use it rather frequently, while remaining a productive, positive, effective member of society. I love mushrooms, and use them, and tell people about the benefits they have provided me in terms of my general well-being, my perspective, my maturity. I do my best to be a walking contradiction when it comes to the stereotypes and preconceptions that allow the public opinion to stay uninformed.

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2157374 - 12/04/03 04:45 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think organizations like MAPS www.maps.org have the right approach. Instead of totally appealing for the ideal of legalization and gearing their activity towards such a massive goal, they are conducting successful research into areas like psilocybin/MDMA psychotherapy - in effect, they have found a niche that proves the usefulness of these tools. Instead of fighting a great war all at once (outright legalization/individual liberty), they have chosen an important battle. Medical marijuana will lead the way toward legalization in the future, just as psychedelic psychotherapy has the potential to do the same for psychedelic legalization. These specific areas of organizing and research will be the tip of the spear that rips apart the thugs of prohibition.

I think the more specific the community organizes, the more likely these substances will accepted. Maintaining integrity all along and developing scientific and political credibility are quite important steps as well.

Quote:

MAPS is a 501 (c) (3) corporation chartered in 1986 as a membership-based research and educational organization. MAPS focuses on the development of beneficial, socially-sanctioned uses of psychedelic drugs and marijuana. Such uses may include psychotherapeutic research and treatment, treatment of addiction, pain relief, spiritual exploration, shamanic healing, psychic research, brain physiology research and related scientific inquiries.

MAPS pursues its mission by helping scientific researchers design, obtain governmental approval for, fund, conduct and report on psychedelic research in human volunteers. MAPS also publishes a quarterly publication that is sent to its members as well as a large number of government policy makers and academic experts.

MAPS' core mission is to make the drug 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy) into an FDA-approved prescription medicine. Not coincidentally, MAPS was founded one year after the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) made MDMA a Schedule 1 drug and criminalized both its recreational and therapeutic uses.

Due to MDMA's uniquely gentle yet profound effects, the medical use of MDMA is more likely to be integrated into psychiatry before other more powerful, longer-lasting and more psychologically challenging psychedelics like LSD, psilocybin or mescaline. In addition to MDMA research, MAPS actively supports research with other psychedelics, each of which has its own therapeutic potential and risk profile.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #2157401 - 12/04/03 06:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

After spending many, many years fighting by providing the underground market with LSD in hopes people would get turned on I had to retire for several reasons. Still wanting to help the movement I gave it alot of thought and decided legit psychedelic research was the way I would spend the rest of my life helping. By proving that these substances are safe and can be of great benifit in the right situation, we dispell the mythos that they are just dangerous drugs with no value. Before psychedelics were banned in the 60's there was quite a bit of info into the potential of psychedelic in treating a number of mental disorders.
Do to pressure to get a hold of a generation of people unwilling to follow the system ,the drugs were made virtually impossible to work with by researchers even despite the info that they showed great potential in treating addiction, depression, anxiety, and a bunch of other disorders.

Inspired by Maps and other legit researchers I decided to go to college to try to get the credential's to be able to help with this research. I have a BS in psychology with a minor in pre-med. I have just started a PhD program for clinical psychology. I have 4 years to go before I get my PhD. Though I won't be able to administer psychedelics I will be able to be on a research team preferably as a counsler to help subjects through the experiance. There is renewed intrest in psychedelic research with several research protocols underway and more on the table.

Personaly I feel that by working through the medical/science field we can validate the psychedelic experiance as valuable. If we can do this then its a huge step in dispelling the bad stigma surrounding psychedelics.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: chinacat72]
    #2157455 - 12/04/03 07:50 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

interesting! I'm studying psychology oo, but I'm still in my first year. I thnk I'll choose neoro psychology or clinical psychology. but I still have to wait more than a year until I can really choose.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: stefan]
    #2157527 - 12/04/03 09:21 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Cool man! :thumbup: Psychology is very interesting. Especially neuropsychology.
I intended on being a psychiatrist, but chose Grad school over med school. By the time I would have got to be a licensed psychiatrist I would be 46.
Besides I can always get my PhD and if I really want, I can go to med school after that. I doubt I will though.
Good luck :grin: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2157761 - 12/04/03 11:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

9)Marijuana was originally prohibited because of manipulation by DOW chemical, paper companies, etc...

10)Drug use harms no one but the user. In America we generally allow people to do as they will, as long as they don't harm others

11)There will always be a demand for drugs, prohibition will only shift the supply to black markets.

12)Drugs are a tool. Guns and motor vehicles are also tools, far more dangerous than drugs, but people are not prosecuted for using them, nor should they be.

13)Many drugs are sold over the counter that are much more dangerous than many illicit drugs, yet they are legal and sold to anyone. Why the double standard?

14)About the newer anti-drug commercials: Even if marijuana did cause you to run over a girl on her bike, that doesn't mean MJ should be outlawed, it means driving while high should be outlawed. Shit, those commercials provide a ton of common sense evidence in themselves for why the WOD is rediculous.

15)Legislation of plants that grow out of the ground that people consume is a stupid idea.

Offlinebeatlebangboy
Absinthe-ian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bum Fuck Florida
    #2157767 - 12/04/03 11:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with everyone, however, this country will NOT legalize any "recreational" drug dispite all the tests and research done. Why? I believe for two reasons:
1) PROFIT!!!!!! It's not only the dealers that are making bucks on the stuff.
2) People who don't partake in the casual use of drugs, don't view them the way we do. They think that by legalizing them, we'll be a country of "walking zombies".
Yeah, I know that it is bullshit, but you can rest assured the only thing that would change their minds is money, not logic.
How many people have been pushing for legalized pot for years? And still nothing. If it is impossible to legalize pot, what do you think the rule makers will think of hallucinagenic mushrooms? They probably share the same views as my parents and grandparents and President Bush for sure.
I say, good luck trying and I'll do my part, but in my lifetime, I doubt I'll see the legalization of any recreational drug.
And Stefan, go to school to be the president, then you can change the laws yourself instead of trying to convince lawmakers to change them. Only one problem, to be president, you have to get drug tested.

--------------------------------

My field got bigger when my standards got lower.
m.k.

--------------------
Check out my tunes. You will be better off for it.
www.myspace.com/beatlebangboy

OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Loc: In a spore
Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: beatlebangboy]
    #2157977 - 12/04/03 01:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I feel the same way that you all do. It is absolutely sickening to think how ignorant our government is about these substances. I can't think about this stuff too much or it just makes me mad and frustrated, i hope in the future we can learn and change things and i would love to be in the helping force. Peace all.

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #2158021 - 12/04/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Inspired by Maps and other legit researchers I decided to go to college to try to get the credential's to be able to help with this research. I have a BS in psychology with a minor in pre-med. I have just started a PhD program for clinical psychology. I have 4 years to go before I get my PhD. Though I won't be able to administer psychedelics I will be able to be on a research team preferably as a counsler to help subjects through the experiance. There is renewed intrest in psychedelic research with several research protocols underway and more on the table.

Good job man. I have nothing but respect for such work :thumbup: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: What can I do to change the laws againt psilocybin? [Re: beatlebangboy]
    #2158025 - 12/04/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see them ever legalizing psychedelics in the sense of being able to go to a store and buy some LSD. It would be nice if we could have therapists or tripping centers. Imagine being able to go to a place for a day and trip legally. A place surrounded by kind experianced people. A place were you could listen to music or hang in nature or do whatever you wanted to get the most benifit from the trip. A place were you felt totally secure to explore your mind in complete saftey. A place were you could maximize the most out of the psychedelic experiance in complete comfort.

Imagine how many people could be helped by being able to have acess to an experiance like that.

I think all drugs should be legal, but for now i'll consentrate on the medical front. The goverment isn't just going to give us "the right to pursue happieness" and give everybody acess to LSD.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#2158211 - 12/04/03 03:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking of changing my major from aerospace engineering to psychology, mainly because the former I don't really care about, and the latter I'm very interested in. I'm half way through my 2nd year, but I know psychology will take me 8 years to get my Phd. oh I'm so confused! If I only knew back in highschool what I know now, I might have not taken engineering. Would it be wise for me to finish the 2.5 years I have left of enginnering, or pull a 180 and do pyschology? I know this isn't the right forum for it but there are two of you here who are studying psychology right now so maybe yall can tell me what do expect if I take it.

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

#2158705 - 12/04/03 06:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Lobby the representatives and senators of your state, educate them (if they are willing to listen) Bring up all those points with them, you might get lucky. Mention how alcohol and tobacco kill tens of thousands of people where psilocybin doesn't kill any, although as mentioned that seems mainly to be a money thing, but who's the say the gov couldn't put an incise tax on shrooms? Make it sound lucrative to them.

mycomancer

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience