Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Millet prep quesiton
    #2156353 - 12/03/03 09:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok.. I have searched all posts within the last 3 months on millet, read all the faqs. About 2 months ago i instructed my friends dog on how to make quart grain jars. Soaked for 24, rinsed, drained, cooked for 90 min at 15 psi. out of 24 jars only 2 resisted the contamination mafia. I beleive his error was in not allowing the grain to drain sufficiently.

Now, he is trying grains again. 48 quarts of millet. I have heard numerous arguements within this forum on how long to soak, if you should or shouldn't drain, if you should add or not add water afterwards. Nearly everyone agrees that the grain should be soaked for some period and no water added after the soak. Although, bluemeanie, obviously a well respected and informative member, claims thatit isn't neccessary to soak grains but for around an hour, fill the jars, cook and shoot your load in em. This sounds great to me except almost everyone else says that you should soak the grain ranging from 12-24 hours. Question 1: How long should I soak the fuckers?

Next, when performing a g2g transfer, how much grain should be used when innoculating each quart jar?

Thank you guys for all the assistance... my friend's dog could really use the help, he loves tripping around christmas time...

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Millet prep quesiton [Re: Innernaut]
    #2156393 - 12/03/03 09:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I say soak for a solid 24, drain very very well. Even a tiny speck of mycelium is enough to colonize a jar, but a teaspoon will be faster. Use a glove box whenever doing g2gs.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #2156427 - 12/03/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I dont soak the stuff and get amazing results every time.
1 pint jars:
2/3 seed
1/3 water
Polyfill Tek for gas exchange
aquarium heater/rubbermaid incubator0
15 psi/1hour

With g2g transfer, just one tiny peice of mycelium works. If you have 10 little chunks of spawn floating around in the new jar, you will have 10 areas that will start colonizing, therefor a faster colonization. If you have one small piece, it will spread and spread, slowly but surely the whole jar will become colonized from the one peice.
Hope this helps. :smirk:

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

OfflineInnernaut

Re: Millet prep quesiton [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2156545 - 12/03/03 10:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

okay, one more question. I read in the new wbs tek that it is important to place a alcohol soaked rag over the steam valve to ensure that contams don't find their way inside when the pressure is reduced. This makes sense to me. Although, my friend uses the polyfill/coffee filter lid tek and had an idea. If I dropped about .5 cc of 90% alcohol on the filter above the polyfill (enough that it would coat it, but not drip downinto the grain) would that be a good way to kick out contams? How long would you guess the alcohol, if used in this manner, would take to evaporate? thanks..

--------------------

OfflineInnernaut

#2156554 - 12/03/03 10:09 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oops... one more thingy... he doens't have a glovebox. He does have karo jars and colonized grain. Would it be better to use the karo?
Would being in a closed closet that has a hepa running 24/7, spraying alchol into the air, and lysoling everything be a sufficiently sterile environment if one worked ninja style?

--------------------

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #2156569 - 12/03/03 10:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've got a bathroom taht i've sterilized...best results are obtained if you turn off the hepa, let the room settle, than wipe off everything that could possibly drop nething dangerous into the procedure..and yes, super quick ninja style is helpful. I only lost one jar doing that so far...

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2156608 - 12/03/03 10:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i never soak my wbs. for a sure fire way, put the wbs in a pot 1/2 full and fill up to the wbs line + 2" with water. bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a nice simmer. let it go for 45 minutes.. let the wbs drain in a colander for 5 minutes, then load the jar 5/8 full. pc for 90 minutes. as soon as the pc reaches 0 psi again, remove the jars and shake the wbs loose. put them back into the pc to cool.

for g2g, one of the most knowledgable people to ever be on this board, sixtango, wrote a tek that was put into the faq last week.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Millet prep quesiton [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2156627 - 12/03/03 10:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, hepa off, settle,spray, then ninja style, youll do fine  :smirk:

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineInnernaut

#2159164 - 12/04/03 08:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Once the grain is soaked for 24 hour, rinsed, drained, and loaded into quart jars how long can one wait before PCing them? a ton of jars take a ton of time to pc...

--------------------

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#2159188 - 12/04/03 09:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know. Whats the compacity of your cooker? Try doing them all within 2 days or something. Skip the gradual cool down and get them out quick, put them aside untill all are done. Preferably putting them aside in a clean area.

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineInnernaut

#2159204 - 12/04/03 09:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

a 22 qt mirro PC. It holds 7 qts at a time. SHould I pc them, let it go to 0 and then place them in a closet with a hepa filter? would my idea of dropping a couple drops of 90% alchol on the polyfill filter (stuck in the hole in the lid) help prevent contams?

--------------------

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #2159790 - 12/05/03 12:22 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need the alcohol, the polyfil is enough. If you're having contam probs they're most likely getting in from some other step. As for the thing about putting it on the rocker, I just don't understand that at all. So what if contams get sucked into the PC, they aren't getting into the jars.

basically the same idea w/ putting the jars in a hepafied closet. If you're sitting in the closet and opening the jars then that makes sense as a clean room, but if you're just storing them the polyfil is enough protection. a GLOVEBOX is easy to make, just a box w/ gloves.

*if you have colonized karo then totally use that, so that you don't have to open the jars at all till they're colonized.

OfflineInnernaut

Re: Millet prep quesiton [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #2159898 - 12/05/03 01:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

In the newset (not 6t) wbs tek it is stated tat one of he most important steps is the cooldown process.  It said to put a alcohol soaked rag on the rocker to further prohibit contams. 

Also, I have heard that g2g is better, and I have heard that liquid myc is better.  I think the innoculation process will have to be split... 1/2 of em g2g, 1/2 of em liquid myc.  I'll post which had the better results.  Thanks alot for your help :smile:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2160689 - 12/05/03 08:39 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

put 350ml of millet, 250ml of water and a pinch of gypsum in every qt jar then let sit for 24hours then pc

here is my results so far using this formula

OfflineLapius
Super Fighting Robot

Loc: Earth 25XX
    #6566165 - 02/14/07 12:09 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of a friend I know that uses millet in his work uses almost the same tek but he does a few other things not mentioned here that seem to work very well for him...
after soaking the millet for 24 hours, he then drains, rinces, drains again, then cooks the millet in a skillet for 15 min with just enough water to cover the top.. then he strains it again, rinces it , and loads it into the quarts, then PCs at 15psi for 1 hour, waits for the cool down, then inoculates... he has had results of colonization in as little as 2 days.. i dont know what it is about cooking them first, but it seems to help.. I know he used to cook the Wheat berries a little too before PCing them.. I think what it does is gives it sufficiant water content inside the quart. always remember to give yourself about a 1/4 inch of dry verm on the bottom of yuour quarts to soak up any excess water.
hope that helps.
Lapius

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation