Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomed
Stranger
With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read)
    #2145234 - 11/29/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well, My friend decided to do a bulk grow...

Anyway, he had 4 Quart jars full of cracked corn, fully colonized with golden teacher mycelium. No contams.

He then pasteurized a lot of straw with the boiling water technique, and let it cool over night.

This straw is in a 24 Inch x 16 Inch x 16 Inch Rubbermaid container.

He put a ramen noodle cardboard box under the straw to create an air pocket for easy o2 circulation. This cardboard box was sterilized before it was placed under the straw.

He then cased the straw with the 4 jars mentioned earlier.

The Mycelium has colonized the substrate very well, the entire top of the casing is white with a little bit of straw around the edges.

No contams have been noted.

The mycelium looks as though it is *about* to pin, with small "pin like structures" showing up throughout the mycelium, however, it doesn't appear to be pins, just sort of a point where the mycelium "sprouted up" a little.

Anyways, after all of that, does anyone have a picture of mycelium just prior to pinning? He wants to know if that is what is going on.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: shroomed]
    #2145436 - 11/29/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Use the Search function. There are tonnes of pics of what you want to see (hyphal knots).

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlineshroomed
Stranger
Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: soochi]
    #2145468 - 11/29/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm, perhaps, but I cant seem to find any pictures of what it is I would like to see....

Oh well, I guess I'll finish with this..

Does the straw casing need any kind of extra layer on top of the straw? Like potting soil or anything? Or, will it pin right from the straw? I guess what I'm asking is does the mycelium need a layer to "punch through" in order to fruit?

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #2145537 - 11/29/03 10:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Many people do straw logs (no casing layer). In this situation you will need to provide lots of humidity, just as with cakes. However, many people case straw as well. It is up to you, or rather, what your setup will allow.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2145543 - 11/29/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'd at least put down a layer of moist verm to keep the humidity up to help in the pinning process. You can see some pics where this is done at www.earthstongue.com

--------------------

InvisibleLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: Cloud9]
    #2146968 - 11/30/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Why not add a layer of coco coir and verm?

Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Loc: in a jar of blue honey
    #2149277 - 12/01/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

when you say you cased the straw with the four jars do you mean that you literally just poured the contents of the four jars on top of the straw? generally you mix up the colonized grains with the straw so that the straw colonizes evenly. if you just put the grain on top of the straw then the mycilium might have a hard time colonizing down to the bottom of the straw and this might cause contam issues a little farther down the road. generally I add an inch thick casing layer consisting of vermiculite and coir to the straw once it is 100% colonized.

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Offlineshroomed
Stranger
Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: mushroomspoon]
    #2149816 - 12/01/03 03:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well, he mixed the jaws up with the straw, he didn't just pour them on top :smile:

Today he put a 1 inch thick layer of verm on the whole thing, he micro waved the verm for about 3-5 Minutes, and let it cool a bit (still slightly warm but not to hot) then put it on top of the straw. He then sprayed all the verm until it was very very moist, not soaking wet, but close to it. (this also helped cool the verm down pretty rapid, he doesn't think it was too hot.)

It should also be noted that the mycelium has fully colonized the straw, and is about 12 inches deep.

Hopefully some large fruits will arise soon.

OfflineIndubitableness
n. The state orquality of beingindubitable
    #2150354 - 12/01/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well those pin like structures are what's called primordia, it is the pre-pin mycelial structure. It's made up of cells which are becoming the specialized mushroom cells but aren't yet constituting mushrooms.

You should have just let it keep pinning, that's what it WAS doing.

--------------------
"Preacher man don't tell me, heaven is under the earth, 'cause i know you don't know, what life is really worth..." ~ The Wailin' Wailers

I grow legitimate mushrooms only.

Offlineshroomed
Stranger
Re: With regards to straw... (Quick question, Please read) [Re: Indubitableness]
    #2151878 - 12/02/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm, thats a shame....... none the less, he said that it looks like the mycelium is already colonized through the verm overnight, and that pinning will occur very soon!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2155872 - 12/03/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you?re doing fine. Here?s a pic of colonized straw. Yours might not have looked exactly as the dark spots in here are added castings, and this was thoroughly compressed to yield an even surface:

I think you got your terminology a little mixed up.
The corn is the spawn
The straw is the substrate
The verm is the casing
You spawned(or innoculated) the straw with the corn. (it?s not a casing at this point, just a bed of straw) then you cased with vermiculite.

Anyway, you should be good. Start pinning procedures now (light, fresh air, high humidity).

BTW, that box under the straw thing, not necessarry and not recomended.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds