Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmeogall
Smeogal
Loc: Arizona
Identifying
    #2153089 - 12/02/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Im not trying to be an ass.  Is it just me or do people have a hard time posting spore prints and what the mushrooms was growing on?  I mean come on its not that hard to bring notecards and write down what it was found growing on, and spore prints are hella easy to do..... :shake: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: Smeogall]
    #2153428 - 12/02/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Smeogall said:
Im not trying to be an ass.  Is it just me or do people have a hard time posting spore prints and what the mushrooms was growing on?  I mean come on its not that hard to bring notecards and write down what it was found growing on, and spore prints are hella easy to do..... :shake: 

That's what I'm saying man. It's not hard. If they's read the sticky threads like they were supposed to then we'd never have these vauge posts with just pictures. People amaze me sometimes, I sware. 

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: Gumby]
    #2153438 - 12/02/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i agree, whole-heartedly.

when i first read this thread i wondered about it's constructive value, but as long as it dosen't become a pointless argument [like many threads wich are critical in nature do] i think it will make a good discussion :smile:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #2153661 - 12/02/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Is it just me or do people have a hard time posting spore prints and what the mushrooms was growing on? 

To be 90%+ accurate in most cases that is essential. :cool:
Everyone has to start somewhere. It can be annoying, but if someone learns from our patience it is worth (my)our effort.  :smirk: 

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2153672 - 12/02/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I think people are just ignorant to the fact that IDing a mushroom is not entirely based on just the physical appearance of the specimen.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: angryshroom]
    #2154032 - 12/03/03 02:12 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

that is because they do not bother to read the mushroom hunting faq or the sticky threads. hence the frustration, as this is mandatory in the first place.

i have no clear idea of what we should do to help this, and it looks to be somewaht of a cyclical pattern, effected by the levels of members joining. i also realize that the majority of the membership seems to get on with the program, and we tend to notice those who don't more due to the contrast.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Identifying [Re: canid]
    #2154175 - 12/03/03 04:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure if we should consider this whole business to be a problem. That is, of course there are (and most likely always will be) members that don't provide the necessary information for a proper id. But on the ohter hand, these members are always notified of this issue when they post an incomplete id-request, so they know that if they want an id, they must provide the necessary information. NExt time such a user posts an id request, he/she will most likely either provided the information needed, or not post a request at all (being afraid of being critized). So, in my opinion, this board has tackled the problem adequately. That there will always be some irritation with some members because of short-sighted requests for an id, well, I'm afraid that that is simply inevitable. On the whole, we're doing a good job here. I'm convinced of that.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: koraks]
    #2154191 - 12/03/03 05:18 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

a small problem, i agree, but it does let my patience slip soemtimes.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2154231 - 12/03/03 06:39 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Here is a sporeprint of the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis from Orissa, India. All of the Indian prints being sold came form this original print. It was four and one half inches in diameter. the enlargement is about 3/4's actual size.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (12/03/03 06:41 AM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Identifying [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2154964 - 12/03/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

???????????

OfflineSmeogall
Smeogal
    #2155150 - 12/03/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Cool pic MJ!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2155386 - 12/03/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

angryshroom said:
??????????? 

Yeah MJ... WTF? How is that relevant to this thread? We're trying to figure out what we should do about ignorant newbies in this forum... not 5 foot wide spore prints that that you collected in the 1800s from from a far away land. :wink:

Anyway... I had an idea. I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but back in the day when a new member signed up, they got a splash screen every time they went to post if they had less than 5 posts. If that splash screen still exists, perhaps we can say something about reading the rules of the hunting forum etc. If it doesn't exist anymore, perhaps anno or 3d would be willing to code something like that.
Sound like a good idea?

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #2155455 - 12/03/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

the irony of that post was just incredible

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
    #2155461 - 12/03/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

its simple. dont id a shroom until every category is filled in. even if you know what it is. this way, when people see they need all the info, they wont waste their time.

most of these posts are people wanting to know if theyre active. the first post will usually say they are inactive, and i bet the original poster doesnt try to stay tuned to see exactly what it is, they already found out its not active.

think about it. if the person knew it was inactive and still cared what it was, they would know how to post a proper i.d.. the only ones without proper id requests are the ones who dont really care what it is, just if its active

gumby, i had the splash screen when i joined, it was pretty recent

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Edited by back2growing (12/03/03 02:02 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: Rebirtha]
    #2155463 - 12/03/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not seeing the irony.

MJ knows I'm just messin around, hence the  :wink: face.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: back2growing]
    #2155500 - 12/03/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

>think about it. if the person knew it was inactive and still cared what it was, they would know how to post a proper i.d.. the only ones without proper id requests are the ones who dont really care what it is, just if its active

Unfortunately, you're probably right. That's what sucks.
It just drives me crazy when we get the typical ignorant teenager who is just looking for a cheap way to "get fucked up." Nothing worse than someone walking around their backyard with a camera taking pictures of every mushroom they find going:
Kid: hi. i fnd this mushie, kan i get m4x fuxxt if i am eat0r?
Us: No. It's deadly.
Kid: o wel fukc it i only kare bout shroomz that = fuxx0r 4 me.
... Damn that drives me crazy.

If people read the stickies from the start this forum would run a lot smoother... People would know what mushrooms grow in their area and where to find them. They'd know what we need to ID things. They'd know a lot of things that we have to spell out for them on a daily basis and that would save everyone a lot of time, effort, and frustration.

OfflineSmeogall
Smeogal
    #2155554 - 12/03/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I say even if you spot some active ones say none are active;)
[edit: the above is a joke :wink:]

Edited by concretefeet (12/03/03 06:53 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #2156302 - 12/03/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Smeogall: go not ever advise another persion to intentionaly give false identificfation advice on the boards again. in any way, shape or form.

--------------------

OfflineSmeogall
Smeogal
Re: Identifying [Re: canid]
    #2156307 - 12/03/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I was just playin man, not bein serious.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identifying [Re: back2growing]
    #2156313 - 12/03/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

its simple. dont id a shroom until every category is filled in. even if you know what it is. this way, when people see they need all the info, they wont waste their time.

that is exactly the last thing we want to do.
if the qualified people [the ones who follow the rules and know what they are doing] are not giving id's, this merely opens the field up for a poor id from somebody who has no idea what they are talking about [another thing i think we should ban for, in the extreme cases]. the new and/or ignorant members will not know the difference.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom