Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTomorrowlander
psychonaut

yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics)
    #2152812 - 12/02/03 08:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The results of cultivation attempt # 1 haven't been as good as they could have been:

A few days after innoculation, these orange spots began appearing on the substrate, which in time grew into this nasty redish bacterial(?) brew:

This contamination affected 7 out of 10 jars. I figure that my sterilization technique needs to be worked on(to say the least!).

Now out of the three jars that haven't contaminated, a strange coloration has developed on 2 outa 3 over the past few days.

sorry for the poor image quality, but lemme try and explain what i am seeing.

These areas which seemed to have been healthy white mycelium have begun to darken to a yellowish not so healthy looking color. It is definately different from the above contamination, and does not look like any contams i've read about.

On the areas where this has happened, it almost appears as if this yellowish stuff is deeper into the substrate and not as close up against the edge of the jars.

I am aware of Mycelium sweat/pee, but am not sure since this is my first attempt. I also read in another post here that the mycelium could get old in the jar or something to that effect?

I should also add that the moisture level in my jars was probably too high, so i wonder if that could have contributed to this discoloration if it's not contamination.

I am thinking about cold shocking these guys since they are at least 95% colonized and growth seems to have stopped, even with my loosening the jar lids/flipping them for air exchange etc.

Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Loc: In a spore
Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: Tomorrowlander]
    #2152938 - 12/02/03 09:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hm, well see how your last three jars do. Keep an eye on them and i wish you good luck. Next time around try to make everything more sterile. The people that have helped me have taught me a lot about keeping everything clean so if you need help IM me on AIM at fra9269. Peace man, shroom on.

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

OfflineTomorrowlander
psychonaut

Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: RespectTheFungus]
    #2153115 - 12/02/03 10:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the words dude. I'll be making a second attempt sometime soon, so i just may hit you up with some questions.

Hey- Fear N Loathing Rocks! That scene always cracks me up, no matter how many times i've seen it.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: Tomorrowlander]
    #2154657 - 12/03/03 12:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

About the jar with the yellowish discoloration, just give it some time and see how it goes.
How were your PCing timings and pressure ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: MAIA]
    #2158581 - 12/04/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

question... did your red contam start from a tiny little red dot that multiplied? I'm having that problem with my corn im not sure if its contaminated yet or maybe im juss not letting myself believe that :-/ im hoping its coming from the corn...ah shit nevermind im pretty sure its fucked... dammit, rest in peace buddy...

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

OfflineTomorrowlander
psychonaut

Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: MAIA]
    #2166473 - 12/07/03 02:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Actually, I attempted the oven tek for sterilizations since i dont really have the money for a pressure cooker. :frown:

I think i had the temp. too low, around 250-300, and the jars were in a container with a little distilled h2o, steaming in the oven for a few hours.

I noticed a couple of pins on 2 of the jars other day, and have since birthed the cakes and they are now in a container with perlite and water/peroxide mix.

That yellowish coloration is still there, i even see a little hint of blue now but the lil shrooms seem to be growing aok. I am supposing that this coloration is just dead mycelium maybe, because i did pack the jars WAY too tightly with the substrate- hence no space to breath/grow after a certain point.

There is this really strange growth on one jar though, it is all twisted with several different shoots of (what looks to be) fungal growth.

Could that weird growth be some genetic mutation maybe?

OfflineTomorrowlander
psychonaut

Re: yellowish discoloration & nasty red contams(pics) [Re: sensi]
    #2166499 - 12/07/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

to Sensi:

It started out as little bright orange-red dots on the uncolonized substrate.

They were very bright in color and very obviously some sort of contam.
They also seemed to mostly begin at the bottom of the jars and/or deep in the substrate, which suggests that i didn't sterilize the jars good enough.
This generally spred quicker than the mycelium could, thereby stopping the growth of the myc. :/

i think it is bacterial of some sort, but i havent noticed any smell really.

I am going to dump those jars soon, and if i notice anything more i will let you know.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum