Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezulu
enthusiast
Loc: north europe
BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ??
    #2151131 - 12/02/03 06:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hello, i am in the middle of my first grow, bird seed cakes 85% colonized. i thought i want to try casing next and as i had recieved my vermiculite i thought to try something else but only birdseed.
so i prepared my substrate this way:

30 parts of bird seeds
15 parts of vermiculite
10 parts of BRF
enough water to make it all wet looking but not soaking

i PC-d the jars about 50 - 60 minutes, after taking them out i saw that when i wanted to shake them there was nuthing moving inside, although i left about 1/4 jar empty, it was like a rock inside. ok, i took the substrate out, added more water and even more birdseed, about 15 parts to make the substrate "more apart". the i put it inside the jars again, threw away what was left over and PC-d them again for an hour (seeds were soaked first). next time when i opened it almost same scenario happened again, after hard sharking i could breake the cake inside to 2 parts, and i can see that it's not too dry inside, after shaking there was humidity seen inside the jar.

so my question is that is the BRF supposed to act this way, i have not overcooked it becose after the first time when i took it out flour was just wet flour, not cookie :laugh:
i cannot imagine doing 50/50 substrate with BRF and vermiculite, i will get a brick.

i feel (am) very green but is it supposed to be like that.
what am i doing wrong ???
i hope u understood my problem and can help.

thank u 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ?? [Re: zulu]
    #2151200 - 12/02/03 07:47 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have never heard of that. You tried to make a BRF/WBS cake??

Well points to you for originality.

On what you described as your "first grow" I suggest sticking to tried and proven methods, and ask BEFORE you try something wacky.

--------------------

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Oklahoma City , OK, USA
    #2151203 - 12/02/03 07:48 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I know you soaked the seeds.. but try washing them off.. happened to me....

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ?? [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #2151226 - 12/02/03 08:12 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

BRF is not meant to be added to a shakeable substrate/spawn. It is basically acting as a cement holding everything together. You can add WBS to the PF TEK but don't expect to be able to shake it. In fact you shouldn't try. It seem as though you are trying to mix up two TEKs.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinezulu
enthusiast
Re: BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ?? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2151586 - 12/02/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7921

did everything same exept the seed meal that i could not find where i live.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2151647 - 12/02/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

HAd never seen that Tek before, and it sounds kinda spotty to me.

Have you had success with BRF/MMGG type cakes before? If you have, and feel comfortable with that method, maybe now is the time to move onto a WBS Tek, if not BRF/MMGG is THE PLACE to start.

For WBS Tek's I reccomend you keep it as simple as possible. The less you mess with, the less you mess up.

--------------------

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ?? [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2152807 - 12/02/03 06:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

This tek doesn't say that the substrate should be skakeable or that it is made for quart jars. In fact a dry verm layer is mentioned at one point in the tek. I think this is just a modified pf tek for making seed cakes, but it's not very clear. You must be mixing it up with bulk grain teks that you've read. If you want to do grains then I suggest 6t's wbs tek. A jar with brf in it is certianly not going to be very easy to shake.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlinezulu
enthusiast
Re: BRF in substrate - is it supposed to act like this ?? [Re: Demiurge]
    #2154152 - 12/03/03 04:37 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

actually that's all i wanted to know, is it supposed to be shakeable or not. i assumed it would but as i sayed am very green and that was my question, is the brf in substrate supposed to make the substrate like paste. i got my answer.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate