Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineL0s3r
Stranger
Questions, newbie here. About to start growing
    #2149019 - 12/01/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

OK I got a few questions that would help me on the way, all help appreciated

1) How do I know when a shroom is ready to be picked?

2) How would I know if its 100% dried out?

3) Why do I need 95 - 100% humidity if some of these shrooms grow wild in the states and there isn?t always that level of humidity outside and they still survive?

4) Im using a 30 gal fish tank for 8 rice cakes all though the tank is pretty high, not wide. Im afraid there won?t be enough permiculite to fill the whole area with humidity. I was thinking of some how putting a piece of plexy glass or what not mid way through the tank to make the area smaller or should I not even worry because the permiculite will create a lot of humidity for large areas?

5) Can I get spores from aborts?

6) How long should I wait for a shroom not to grow that I can consider it an abort?

7) Where do all the spores go from the shrooms that you dry out if you didn?t collect them to save for later use? Do they just dry up, die, and disappear?

8) I know rice cakes are usually for beginners but I was wondering if the other more advanced techniques produce more shrooms because there isn?t much room on the cakes for a lot of shrooms to grow.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Questions, newbie here. About to start growing [Re: L0s3r]
    #2149023 - 12/01/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

...Permiculite?

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Questions, newbie here. About to start growing [Re: MycoCat]
    #2149037 - 12/01/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

1) How do I know when a shroom is ready to be picked?
-Just as the veil is coming away from the stem.

2) How would I know if its 100% dried out?
-When the mushroom is cracker dry and has absolutely no moisture in it.

3) Why do I need 95 - 100% humidity if some of these shrooms grow wild in the states and there isn?t always that level of humidity outside and they still survive?
-You're not growing outside, so you are trying to create the best possible conditions for mushroom growth. You can grow with less humidity, but you'll probably have trouble pinning and less fruits.

4) Im using a 30 gal fish tank for 8 rice cakes all though the tank is pretty high, not wide. Im afraid there won?t be enough permiculite to fill the whole area with humidity. I was thinking of some how putting a piece of plexy glass or what not mid way through the tank to make the area smaller or should I not even worry because the permiculite will create a lot of humidity for large areas?
-"Permiculite" (you mean Perlite) is cheap. Just buy enough for your fish tank.

5) Can I get spores from aborts?
-No.

6) How long should I wait for a shroom not to grow that I can consider it an abort?
-Wait until the head of the mushroom begins turning dark blue. If it does, pick it. Make sure not to wait too long though, because once it turns black it's probably rotted.

7) Where do all the spores go from the shrooms that you dry out if you didn?t collect them to save for later use? Do they just dry up, die, and disappear?
-You're probably going to harvest before the mushroom began producing spores (if you harvest just as the veil is coming away from the stem).

8) I know rice cakes are usually for beginners but I was wondering if the other more advanced techniques produce more shrooms because there isn?t much room on the cakes for a lot of shrooms to grow.
-Casing. Read the FAQ.

Good luck.

--------------------

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (12/01/03 10:20 AM)

OfflineL0s3r
Stranger
    #2149215 - 12/01/03 11:27 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I ment perlite, sorry. Thanks I have been reading all the faqs and teks on casing all morning and all seems pretty easy and ill get more shrooms. Thanks!

EDIT
How long would I need to just leave one mushroom behind after I pick the others to get the spores from it?

Edited by L0s3r (12/01/03 11:36 AM)

Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
    #2149619 - 12/01/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hey man wassap im a begginer too i juss knocked up my first jar early sunday as a test...good luck growin and if you need any help ill try to help you... as for casing i heard that casing is more risky and more things could go wrong... i would go with cakes but im forced to go with casing since im making my jars out of grain... (grain is also more risky but i have no ingrediants to make pf cakes (brown rice + vermiculite)) the mushrooms i grow are legal, gourmet mushrooms which i want to make a pizza out of...

--------------------
Live in your own reality. Sorround yourself with positivity while being aware of the darkness. The heaven so many people are in search of is much closer than they believe. Its a state of mind. Its not about reaching a destination becuase there is no destination, its an infinite, exponential journey.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2149646 - 12/01/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

L0s3r said:
How long would I need to just leave one mushroom behind after I pick the others to get the spores from it?

Just let the cap open up and spread out. Once the mushroom starts to do this it should be producing spores. If you wait too long you will see a purple-brown deposit of spores on your cakes and on the stems of the mushrooms(sometimes on the tops of the mushrooms as well). You can still try to get a print after this happens but it might not turn out as good.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Questions, newbie here. About to start growing [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2149980 - 12/01/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

These are pictures from my first grow (the purple coating on the mushrooms are spores...it got a little messy).

--------------------

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (12/01/03 04:47 PM)

OfflineL0s3r
Stranger
    #2150309 - 12/01/03 06:27 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Would putting a jar with the mix in it in the microwave sterelize it instead of a presure cooker and will the mycelial grow as much as it can as long as it has the room?

EDIT:
for instance, if I was to take 2 colonized jars that used vermiculite and brown rice flour and take them out of the jars and break them up and put them in a tin cake holder thing with the bottom lined with vermiculite and put the broken up cakes on top would it spread to that vermiculite as well and grow all in the tin cake holder?

Edited by L0s3r (12/01/03 06:35 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag