Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
failures, advice needed
    #2150291 - 12/01/03 08:18 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I thought this time it'd all really work good but it hasn't. A friend innoculated 6 rye grain jars a while ago, kept them heated well.
All he's got to show for it is a clump of mycelium in one of them, this clump is not getting any bigger. He's very frustrated. He's considering two desperate courses of action:
1. in an oven breaking up the clump and directly putting the pieces into a few more jars to see if they will colonize new jars.
2. adding the clump to a small bag of compost to see if it colonizes.
He don't really have any faith left in any of the procedures involved in mushroom cultivation as they usually fail for him even when they've worked in the past when done the exact same way. Any advice on the most foolproof way to get shrooms from this clump of mycelium?

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePeteahsaurus
Stranger
Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2150372 - 12/01/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Well, im in the process of the pf tek now and my jars are showing great mycelium growth! The only problem is that im seeing little black spots on it and i think that both jars are contams. i believe i did everything the right way, but when im moving to my new house im planning on starting like 12 jars or so. can anybody tell me how they put there spores into the spore syringe, how much spore they used, and how much solution u injected in each hole. thanks a bunch!

-pete

--------------------
A wise man once said...

OfflinePeteahsaurus
Stranger
Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: Peteahsaurus]
    #2150379 - 12/01/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

a also have another question, how do u create posts? thx

--------------------
A wise man once said...

InvisiblePoopdick
    #2150389 - 12/01/03 08:56 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I definetly second that part about the spore syringe, and how much solution to start with in the syringe as well as what the solution should be, is water ok?

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter

Loc: Oregon
    #2150464 - 12/01/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Peteahsaurus said:
can anybody tell me how they put there spores into the spore syringe, how much spore they used, and how much solution u injected in each hole. thanks a bunch!
-pete

You should use the search before you start asking questions. Most will be answered several times without having to wait. Next: This is the tek to use. Psilocyber's Syringe Tek. Works excellent. You will need a print to make that syringe though. I use a quarter of a print. Follow the PF tek for deciding how much solution to use. 1-2 cc should be sufficient. Read up and have fun!

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: Poopdick]
    #2150465 - 12/01/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

to the very first question. have you allowed proper air circulation? the growth will stop once all the o2 has been used up. try spraying some air sanitizer and opening each jar for a few seconds to allow some air exchange.

spore syringe making...theres a few teks on here. i dont have time to find it, but theyre there, just look. the solution is just water. inject 1cc per jar.

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: Poopdick]
    #2150484 - 12/01/03 09:30 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

joo, shake the hell out of that jar. it will spread the little clump all throughout the jar. then unless your jars have dried out on you (a prob i had early in my days) it will go much faster.

pete, near the top of the page it will say post or something of that nature. click that.

OfflineIndubitableness
n. The state orquality of beingindubitable
    #2150487 - 12/01/03 09:32 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

well. First off, PF Tek Sucks, BUY A BOOK CALLED "THE MUSHROOM CULTIVATOR" by Paul Stamets and J.S. Chilton. JUST DO IT TRUST ME.

Okay, i'm assuming you're growing a psilocybe cubensis strain, if you're growing a different species, then let me know and i can help you more thoroughly. If you Don't have any contams on this jar with the clump of mycelium then try this. Take an empty canning jar, with on center hole punched, big enough for your spore syringe to fit through, sterilize your syringe in boiling water, or pressure cook it, depending on your equipment. (read the faq)

Fill the empty canning halfway with water, break another canning jar by heating it up on the stove, directly on the burner, then fill it with water from the sink (the glass will crack and split) have something for it to fall into, put the broken glass (decent sized pieces, a good amount) into the water filled jar and sterilize it in the microwave (the metal canning lid can be sterilized in a pot seperately (where you're sterilizing your syringes) or in the microwave, you'll see sparks and it's your own risk, but they've done tests which show metal in the microwave doesn't do damage unless the sparks get out of control and a fire starts or the metal is on the plastic surface, in which case the plastic melts and a fire starts.)

When the lid and jar are sterilized put them together (duh ) and put some tape over the center hole. let cool until room temperature, when it's ready use the oven technique (make sure you sterilize the outside of your jars with alcohol solution minimum of 1:10 ration of alcohol to water) before you put them in the air flow from the oven) to open your jar with the mycelium safely. Sterilize a knife blade and handle with STRAIGHT UP 91% isopropyl alcolhol, use liberally. clean your hands of course.

With the sterilized knife make a quick transfer of the mecelial chunk from the jar into the water and glass filled jar, close the lid as SOON as you can. Put your finger over the tape covered hole and shake or "stir" however vigorously it takes for the glass to break up the mycelium, let the mixture settle just enough that you can see mycelium floating well enough to consciously extract it into the needle.

Flame sterilize the needle, remove the piece of tape, and while the needle is still red and as quickly as possible put the needle into the hole (try not to punch through the tape) draw up as much mycelium as possible, if it gets clogged with substrate material, just push the plunger back down until it's unclogged, by the way, unless the needle is sterility packed, ie New, then you want to have it filled with sterile water ( to keep contaminants from getting into the back where the tube is exposed to open air when the plunger is not puleed out) you inject it into the jar then draw up the mycelium all over the stove when possible.

Buy half quart or quart mason jars with canning lids and regular mouths, use whole grain substrate methods. sterilize them in the oven for an hour on 360 degrees (put them in for the preheating so as not to have them break from heating too quickly) use inverted canning lids (the inside part of the lid is upside down to make the seal imperfect and allow miminal air flow) with no holes punched in them, and while it's being sterilized make sure the lids are screwed on loosely, or they will break and your oven will be a mess.

When they cool to the point that you can comfortably handle them, but they are still "hot" take some hydrogen peroxide and pour a small amount in, i would say about... well two shot glasses full, but try to distill it a little with water, unless your grain jars already have too much moisture, just think if it logically seems like too much peroxide, don't put that much in. And of course, when the jars are cool, inoculate them with the syringe prepared earlier, flame sterilize and all that wrot.

If that doesn't work, just start a-new.

--------------------
"Preacher man don't tell me, heaven is under the earth, 'cause i know you don't know, what life is really worth..." ~ The Wailin' Wailers

I grow legitimate mushrooms only.

OfflinePeteahsaurus
Stranger
Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: Indubitableness]
    #2150513 - 12/01/03 09:42 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

thanks a lot guys, you've been a lot of help. i will start tommorow! also, how do u create posts and is there anyway i can fruit my cakes without buying perlite? i dont want to spend more money

--------------------
A wise man once said...

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter

Loc: Oregon
    #2150528 - 12/01/03 09:47 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

As jumpship already put it. near the top/center of the page hit post. You can only do this once you have chose the forum where you wish to make the post. ("Mushroom Cultivation", "Growlogs & Pictures etc...)

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: fidget]
    #2153280 - 12/02/03 11:31 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Just shake the damn thing! Do you have any means of gas exchange in the jars?

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
Re: Getting spore prints into syringes [Re: Demiurge]
    #2153301 - 12/02/03 11:39 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

PF tek does most definetely not suck, but on the other hand "The Mushroom Cultivator" is also awesome... To each his own

Paco

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation