Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed   eBay Lab Glassware

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIndubitableness
n. The state orquality of beingindubitable
Preparing Agar
    #2146529 - 11/30/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Does anyone here have any experience with preparing agar in the oven? I have had successful spawn jars (whole grain and mixed birdseed spawn jars) sterilization in the oven, and i'm ready for agar culture, despite the fact that i haven't yet fruited anything ( i only grow legal edible mushrooms) but i have to save money for apartment funds and insurance bills as opposed to a pressure cooker. if no one else has had any experience i'll be posting my experience because i'm going to try it either way

--------------------
"Preacher man don't tell me, heaven is under the earth, 'cause i know you don't know, what life is really worth..." ~ The Wailin' Wailers

I grow legitimate mushrooms only.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Preparing Agar [Re: Indubitableness]
    #2146593 - 11/30/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

if you are going to work with agar, a pc is definitely a must. you can get a small on able to fit 1 quart jar for pretty cheap.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Preparing Agar [Re: automan]
    #2146734 - 11/30/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

you can get a pc for 20 bucks that will still enable agar work.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Preparing Agar [Re: Indubitableness]
    #2146770 - 11/30/03 03:28 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

I had success before I bought a PC. I just made my own PSYA in a saucepan with the lid on and then poured it into a beaker, inserted a thermometer into the media and then covered the beaker with cling film. When the media had reached the correct temperature I added H202 and poured the plates.

You get a bit of contamination on some plates but the vast majority make it.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineIndubitableness
n. The state orquality of beingindubitable
Re: Preparing Agar [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2147476 - 11/30/03 07:40 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

well i'm going to use peroxide trechniques which pretty much allow you to pour agar plates in unsterile conditions (when growing mycelium, it's not good for spores to use peroxide) and i don't plan on using oven made agar for spore germination unless it turns out really well, but the saucepan idea might work, i have a glove box and i WILL get a pressure cooker, i just can't afford it yet. i need LAB QUALITY equipment man, i want to be a farmer.

I have a plan to suspend a heat resistant (although plastic) erlenmeyer flask i have coming in the mail inside of a glass saucepan i have, fill the bottom with water , put the lid on, and put it in the oven at 260 degrees F for an hour and a half, or however long it takes to look like it's ready; although i WILL try it FIRST with a regular mason jar by itself.

H2O2 IS Hydrogen Peroxide... isn't it... thanks for your help so far guys, i appreciate it.

--------------------
"Preacher man don't tell me, heaven is under the earth, 'cause i know you don't know, what life is really worth..." ~ The Wailin' Wailers

I grow legitimate mushrooms only.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed   eBay Lab Glassware

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation