Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
The Truth about the Buddha..
    #2144168 - 11/29/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So what's the historical evidence on this guy ?
I mean no offense to Buddhists, but how do we know
he wasn't the equivilant of Casteneda or other
contemporarty gurus who claim to KNOW ?
I mean perhaps he got tired of the ascetism and
decided to cash in on peoples misery...
after all he was held in high esteem by his followers
who would feed him etc...

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: lucid]
    #2144188 - 11/29/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Me and the Buddha used to drink together a lot. I gave him a few keys to some knowledge, he pretty much knew what was what after that.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

#2144249 - 11/29/03 12:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The same could be said about any religious figure.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Offlinejiva
dream serpent

Loc: everywhere all the time
    #2144389 - 11/29/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

From what I understand, we have the most information on Buddha than most other gurus. We know where he was born, what he did, where he went, what he learned, where he gave lectures, when he died, etc. etc.

If you are suggesting that he was a fruad, it doesn't matter.

--------------------
i am another you

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2144880 - 11/29/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah yeah yeah, so you broke bread and he drank your blood? And all was goood? LOL! Well, i drank some beer last night, not quite wine, but its close enough. I dont know what i learned. Why did buddha fast then? Did you feel like he was ignorning you by not eating or drinking?

--------------------
What?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2144887 - 11/29/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Buddha wasnt enlightened, enlightenment in the buddhist sense is all fantasy. Buddha was compassionate though, and he saw how people suffered so much, so he devised a little fantasy world for them to help them with all their problems.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Offlinelucid

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: Positronius]
    #2144913 - 11/29/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
Buddha wasnt enlightened, enlightenment in the buddhist sense is all fantasy. Buddha was compassionate though, and he saw how people suffered so much, so he devised a little fantasy world for them to help them with all their problems.

yea, kinda seems like that...
perhaps he wasn't a fraud in the sense of trying to gain
something materialistic, but perhaps he "devised a little
fantasy world", as u put it, to try to help people...

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2144935 - 11/29/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i have a world that is not really real, but that doesnt mean that it couldnt be one day. Set some realistic goals, work towards it, whats so hocus pocus about that? You could argue the methodology, but i think there are some very worthwile prinicples to be learned.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2144939 - 11/29/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

buddha did this. buddha didn't do that.  heh, the less we know the better. and it is the less we know

but on topic, man you'll know just as much as I know about buddha.  go look it up there's tons of places, go to a library.  those places rock, expecially for research.  not trying to harp on you or nothing jsut the question took me off guard you see :cool: 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: kaiowas]
    #2145023 - 11/29/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

All history that's older than 2,000 years can only be proven based on conjecture and the reference of the time's authors. Sri Buddha Siddartha Gautama Shakyamuni is very well substantated by many accounts of his life from many places and they pretty much all agree. The reason for this is that the historical Buddha taught for about 50 years to countless thousands of persons including many of the wealthy of the day. And he also set up monastic institutions and administered them including prescribing and proscribing rules of conduct. He was very very specific in most every circumstance including his four noble truths and thoughts on dependant origination, as well as his dissertations on karma. Buddha was very enlightened, and people make fun of him and his techings and guess what they slide deeper into misery. Buddha taught how to break free through right action and creating more beneficial causes of action to overturn negative habitula tendencies. Plus he was compassionate.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #2145039 - 11/29/03 05:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lucid said:
Quote:

Positronius said:

yea, kinda seems like that...
perhaps he wasn't a fraud in the sense of trying to gain
something materialistic, but perhaps he "devised a little
fantasy world", as u put it, to try to help people... 

SOMEHOW, my friend i just KNEW you'd bite into that last post you responded to both hook line and sinker(here's an interesting question: why do they provide 3 options of guillibility then only offer BOTH as an option? :grin: well this IS S & P after all :wink: )......there is so much i could say but i'ma getting a nosebleed attempting to breathe the rarified air of S & P(no offence meant to anyone) so it's back to OTD for me :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #2145157 - 11/29/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

kaiowas: actually I have read all of the buddhist texts, and that is the conclusion I have come to.

"buddha did this. buddha didn't do that. heh, the less we know the better. and it is the less we know"

the less we know the better? bullshit. I dont prescribe to buddhist mysticism, so I am taking a rational approach to his teachings. He was a human, not a god. He was a very intelligent human at that, one of the first psychologists, he discovered what caused humanities suffering, so he devised a fantasy that could be used as a form of therapy for this suffering. Its that simple.

--------------------

Offlinelucid

#2145174 - 11/29/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
kaiowas: actually I have read all of the buddhist texts, and that is the conclusion I have come to.

"buddha did this. buddha didn't do that. heh, the less we know the better. and it is the less we know"

the less we know the better? bullshit. I dont prescribe to buddhist mysticism, so I am taking a rational approach to his teachings. He was a human, not a god. He was a very intelligent human at that, one of the first psychologists, he discovered what caused humanities suffering, so he devised a fantasy that could be used as a form of therapy for this suffering. Its that simple.

But does his therapy work ? in the absolute sense...
barring the "only if you believe in it" catch-22...

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2145180 - 11/29/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What the buddha taught about was no fantasy world, kids.

He basically showed us how suffering originates, HOW TO END suffering, and how to attain enlightenment.

Yes, the buddha was enlightened. It's not hard to come to this conclusion, unless your definition of enlightenment is a bit off.

I don't see where the fantasy world idea comes from, and quite frankly I think its bullshit. He never told people "This is how it is".

He told people wisdom that was 100% True, only becasue he experienced it. He also told them not to believe what he says, and instead investigate it through experience if they wish. Either way , he knew - they'd realize the truth.

Truth is NOT a fantasy world, peoples. What Jesus taught, what buddha taught, it was a way out of the fantasy world we've constructed for ourselves.

But anyway, I don't much expect people on here to understand his teachings.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2145194 - 11/29/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

supermarket: "He basically showed us how suffering originates, HOW TO END suffering, and how to attain enlightenment."

-thus you prescribe to his fantasy. Heres an idea, dissolve your beliefs for one moment and try to look at Buddhism objectivly.
-his fantasy = re-incarnation, Karma, samsara, nirvana, the five skhandas, the emptiness of self.

these ideas are not REAL, they are nothing more than an interpretation of reality with mystical elements = fantasy.

supermarket: " don't much expect people on here to understand his teachings"

what pompous drival. Check your ego, I fully understand his teachings, even more so than you because I can discern between opinion and reality.

--------------------

Offlineeve69
Male User Gallery

#2145424 - 11/29/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Buddhism is a practice, not a theory for argument, not a fantasy for daydreams, and not a prop for the ego.

--------------------
...or something

Offlineeve69
Male User Gallery

#2145430 - 11/29/03 08:39 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Buddhism is a practice, not a theory for argument, not a fantasy for daydreams, and not a prop for the ego. If one doesn't meditate, doesn't practice the paramitas, doesn't make offerings then they are not Buddhists.

So also, you might like getting into a girl's panties, but don't ever try to speak for her. You can never be an expert on women, if you aren't one, and you can never be an expert on Buddha if you are not a Buddhist.

--------------------
...or something

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: eve69]
    #2145460 - 11/29/03 08:56 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

weak attack. A non-buddhists opinion of buddhism is just as valuable as a "buddhist", in fact, it may be more valuable because by being a "buddhist" a person is condradicting buddha's teaching, specifically the "dont follow me" bit.

--------------------

Offlineotis5
free thinker

Loc: Why do you want to know w...
    #2145485 - 11/29/03 09:20 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

oh, and like jesus had some kind of fucking super powers? all gods and deitys had wisdom. wisdom. not supernatural powers, just knowledge and that knowledge is attainable by ANYONE. if you work soley on the purpose of helping others, helping the earth and helping your soul, not helping your materialistic needs and bad habits that hurt yourself and others, you can and will acheive enlightenment, or go to heaven, whatever.
you have to understand that heaven and hell aren't physical places we go to after we die. they are states of being. if you lived your life in good nature and caused no significant harm to others or the planet, you soul will rest easily and you will again contribute to gaia(spirit of the earth), on the other hand, if you live in hatste, hate, and cause harm to the earth, your soul will forever be guilty and will not rest easily. it will roam eternally searching for where it was supposed to fit.
going to mass or services every day won't help your soul if you are a mean spirited, uncaring individual. saying your sorry to some intangible father figure won't help. "sorry pops, i beat my kids today, gambled all my paycheck, cut down some trees for a new housing edition,and cheated on my wife, i won't do it again" type of shit. praying and apologizing to the memory of someone from long ago isn't the way to achieve bliss.
find it in you......

--------------------
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man":rasta:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2145495 - 11/29/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Who cares if he was an actual historical figure? A more apt question would be, "Do the practices associated with him work for you or not?"

If they work, continue them.
If they don't discard them.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order