Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Mushrooms: Single Celled?
    #2145419 - 11/29/03 10:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They are right?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHefex78
Stranger
*DELETED* [Re: Zwieback0]
    #2145508 - 11/29/03 11:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted. Reason for deletion: Confidential.

Edited by Wa7sum (10/03/07 10:25 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: Hefex78]
    #2146575 - 11/30/03 02:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From The Ascent of Psilocybian Consciousness by John W. Allen and james Arthur inh a new book on mushroom experiences edited by Ralph Metzner: 2003 Fall.

THE LIFE CYCLE OF A MUSHROOM
What is a mushroom and how do they reproduce? Well mushrooms come in many different sizes, shapes and colors.

The majority of fungi or mushrooms as they are commonly referred to belong to either single-celled or multicellular organisms and they obtain their food by direct absorption of nutrients in the soil of the earth. That is, the decomposed manure of four-legged ruminants and/or the decayed leaves, twigs and woodchips of dying plant materials and they do this by feeding on such matter as lignin and humus which are dissolved by enzymes which the fungi secrete through absorption of their thinned celled walls. Mushrooms also bring about the decay and decomposition of all organic matter on our planet
Traditionally classified as a division in the plant kingdom, fungi were thought of as being plants that have no stems or leaves and that in the course of becoming food absorbers they lose the pigment chlorophyll, which is needed for conducting photosynthesis. Approximately 100,000 species of fungi are known.
The study of fungi is called mycology. And R. Gordon and Tina Wasson whose life long interest and love in recording the history of mushrooms and their relationship with mankind, coined a phrase to used to describe this particular field of study as ?ethnomycology? (Encarta, 2000).

SPORE DISPERSAL
Well, spores are the seeds of the mushroom. They are found on the gill plates underneath the cap of the mushroom. Once the mushroom cap has separated from its veil, the spores are disbursed by traveling with the passing wind, usually falling first directly beneath the mushroom onto the grass below or onto the mulch and/or topsoil on the ground.
Various species of small animals, insects, and millipedes feed on mushrooms and thus are instrumental in spore distribution. Additionally some groups of insects are known to cultivate mushrooms as food. Notable among these are the ambrosia beetles, tropical leaf-cutting ants, and certain groups of termites. In fact, it has been reported that one such group of termites in Mexico also cultivate a species of entheogenic mushrooms.
Since mushrooms are nonphotosynthetic, that is, lacking chlorophyll, they always feed on live or dead organic matter and when the spores land on a habitable medium they will germinate and grow. One such primary medium of course is the manure of four-legged ruminants such as cattle, horses and sheep.

REPRODUCTION
Most fungi reproduce by spores, which are tiny particles of protoplasm enclosed in walls (see fig. 1). The common mushroom may form 10 billion or more spores on its fruiting body while the giant puffball may produce as many as several trillion.
A process usually forms spores in where the spores form together from a union two or more nuclei within a cell or a series of many cells. And then the spores will germinate into hyphae that have different combinations of the hereditary characteristics of the parent nuclei. The mushrooms discussed in this study are called basidiospores (usually four) and are contained in club like structures known as basidia.
Now, given favorable conditions, the spore?s sprout like seed does what seeds do when planted and the spores form many small fine silk-like hairs, called hyphae, which grow and collectively form what is called mycelium (spawn). Soon the mycelium radiates outward and permeates the material in which it is growing. When there is no more room underground than the mycelium forms into a mushroom and begins to shoot upwards towards the sky.

MYCHORIZIAL AND SYMBIOTIC RELATIONSHIPS
Some mushrooms are intimately associated with roots of higher plants forming a symbiotic relationship known as mycorrhiza, a specialized type of hyphal growth in which a portion of the mycelium either wraps itself around the tips of roots, forming a velvety white cover, or penetrates into the cortex of the root. A number of plants seem to be dependent on this relationship for satisfactory development. Certain species of entheogenic mushrooms are prominent in forming mycorrhizae (Encarta 1999). Psilocybe cyanescens is one such mushroom forming a mycorrhizial symbiotic relationship with certain plants found in its environment such as verbenas, strawberry plants, ivy, rose and rhododendrons.

mj

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2148293 - 12/01/03 02:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't understand why you would think mushrooms are single celled. That just doesn't make any sense to me. The cap and the stem alone are composed of millions of cells. The only thing single celled on a mushroom is it's spores.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: djd586]
    #2148784 - 12/01/03 10:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From my library, some spores of Malaysian P. cubensis blown up 2,000 times in the SEM.

and blown up 5,000 times.

mj

These are from malaysia and are p. cubensis colleced in 1998

Edited by mjshroomer (12/01/03 10:07 AM)

OfflinePandyCants
Doin' what I can

Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2242639 - 01/14/04 09:59 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yup, entire fungi kingdom is multicelluar eukaryotic organisms

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: PandyCants]
    #2243798 - 01/15/04 12:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

yup, entire fungi kingdom is multicelluar eukaryotic organisms

You're forgetting the yeasts. Actinomycetes are prokaryotic, too, but a lot of people consider these bacteria.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: micro]
    #2243826 - 01/15/04 01:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, aren't some Oomycetes considered to be one-celled (one big cell?)

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: micro]
    #2245265 - 01/16/04 02:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Taxonimic classicification of the Kingdom Fungi is fairly blury. I believe there are currently 3 phylums in the kingdom. There is debate whether or not to remove one of the phylums (Eukarya) and making it a kingdom all by itself. I recently read a scientiffic journal in which a new classification system is going to be proposed, making 8 kingdoms instead of 6.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms: Single Celled? [Re: djd586]
    #2245956 - 01/16/04 01:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Taxonimic classicification of the Kingdom Fungi is fairly blury.

That's an understatement!

--
Micro

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience