Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleturtlelamp
n00b
Loc: The Midwest
Oh, the humidity...
    #2143056 - 11/28/03 09:54 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

I have an ultrasonic humidifier setup. I birthed my first cakes 10 days ago, and aside from aggressive aerial mycelial growth, I got nada. There was a lot, a LOT of moisture in the air, so I added a drying chamber a few days ago (bringing the total to 4). I can't figure out for the life of me what the humidity is in there, though. I bought a couple crappy analog temperature/humidity gauges at walmart a few weeks ago, but those never registered higher than 85% (when I knew it was otherwise). I bought a couple of $15 digital honeywell hygrometers from home despot, but those seem to register 95% no matter what (they said 95% this morning when I opened the case and mist poured out of the aquarium. In a fit of frustration, I turned off the humidifier entirely this morning and went to work. I came back, and voila, I had pins. Clearly there's just too much moisture in there right now. Possible solutions I'm exploring: 1) adding a layer of perlite to the bottom of the tank to help absorb and retain humidity, 2) putting the humidifier on a timer, 3) scratching my whole setup and starting over with a newer tek. I really don't want to do the latter, and will probably end up doing a combo of 1 and 2. Any thoughts/suggestions? I was under the impression that cakes loved humidity, and that 100% rh was fine. There's just so much moisture on the cakes now, though... and my coming home from work and finding pins after turning off the humidifier completely has me skeptical.

--------------------
Fingerprints on file.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Oh, the humidity... [Re: turtlelamp]
    #2143063 - 11/28/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

I vote timer...but you're gonna have to fiddle with it to make it run juuust right.
Stay Frosty.
R.C.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Oh, the humidity... [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #2143084 - 11/28/03 10:16 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

"aggressive aerial mycelial growth" is a sign of high humidity. With cakes you want high humidity in the first place.

Lowering the humidity could have *possibly* triggered pinning -- who knows -- but this would probably be a new discovery. Most likely, though, instead, the cakes just decided to pin, then.

Pinning cakes can take even longer than that....

Anyway, you want to have a really high humidity with cakes. Cakes WILL pin at 100% rH.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Oh, the humidity... [Re: micro]
    #2143884 - 11/29/03 09:15 AM (13 years, 15 days ago)

I always pinned my BRF/MMGG cakes in the 1/2 pint Ball/Kerr jars.

That was when I knew they were ready for the chamber.

I also used to make sure they got no more than 15 minutes of light a day. After reading these forums, I can't beleive all the dumb sh1t I used to do, and still get fruits.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oh, the humidity... [Re: turtlelamp]
    #2144441 - 11/29/03 03:27 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

I use a cool mist running 24/7 and the ultrasonic comes on every 3 hrs for 5 min.

As far as hooking up the ultrasonic I use some silicone and trash. The thinner hose keeps things from getting to wet and the hose feeds into the cool mist outlet so it mixes into the air really fast.

This morning

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibleturtlelamp
n00b
Loc: The Midwest
Re: Oh, the humidity... [Re: Magash]
    #2146210 - 11/30/03 10:34 AM (13 years, 14 days ago)

Letting the ultrasonic run for an hour every three is working much better. In fact, the rh isn't really any lower, it's just that moisture isn't collecting anymore. Pinning started on a few of my first cakes, so I should actually have something to show for all my efforts in a week or so. Really exciting. I'll post pics soon. No one ever thinks a baby is as cute as its parents...

--------------------
Fingerprints on file.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation