Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Solution to the world's problems?
    #2142657 - 11/28/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

While reading one of the newsletters at the World Mind Society, titled 'What to do when an entire culture goes insane', I came across some remarkable figures.

It said, and I quote:

Quote:

If there is any doubt in the reader?s mind regarding these conclusions, then let us review further the implications of our consumerist, materialistic and militaristic world view?

Military Expenditures for 2002

Global military expenditures currently exceed $800 BILLION!

The top military spenders are:

United States $343.2 Billion

Russia* $60

China $42

Japan $40.4

United Kingdom $34

Saudi Arabia $27.2

France $25.3

Germany $21

Brazil $17.9

India $15.6

Italy $15.5

South Korea $11.8

*Based on 2000 funding (most recent year available) Global Priorities For approximately 30% of Annual World Military Expenditures (~$810 billion),

All of the following could be accomplished if only a portion of such monies were spent for sane purposes?..

To Eliminate Starvation and Malnutrition ($19 billion)

To Provide Shelter ($21 billion)

To Remove Landmines ($4 billion)

To Build Democracy ($3 billion)

To Eliminate Nuclear Weapons ($7 billion)

To Refugee Relief ($5 billion)

To Eliminate Illiteracy ($5 billion)

To Provide Clean, Safe Water ($10 billion)

To Provide Health Care and AIDS Control ($21 billion)

To Stop Deforestation ($7 billion)

To Prevent Global Warming ($8 billion)

To Stabilize Population ($10.5 billion)

To Prevent Acid Rain ($8 billion)

To Provide Clean, Safe Energy: Energy Efficiency ($33 billion),

To provide renewable Energy ($17 billion)

To Stop Ozone Depletion ($5 billion)

To Prevent Soil Erosion ($24 billion)

To Retire Developing Nations Debt ($30 billion)

Does anyone know more on this topic? Are the figures represented correct? Regardless of whether they are, how do you feel about them?

Some links:
What to do when an entire culture goes insane
World Mind Society

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2142737 - 11/28/03 05:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

That link to "What to do when an entire culture goes insane" is so dead-on...

"There is no political solution to these ills. No new government, law, constitution or bill of rights will act as remedy for widespread social insanity. EVERY form of government and law enforcement can only smooth over such deep seated social problems/beliefs without ever addressing their cause. People still think that by voting or writing letters to congressmen, that this is going to change society for the better. But they are mistaken. So long as the values of our age are in place, (materialism, militarism, egotism) there is no hope for the future of the human race. We are already dead, it’s just that most of us would like to pretend otherwise. Congressmen, senators and presidents are no more capable of lucid, sane action than is the average citizen. It is time we thought and lived for ourselves, instead of waiting for idiots in high places to somehow come to their senses, (let alone admit their corruption and dishonesty)."

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: ergot]
    #2142832 - 11/28/03 06:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, I really like that quote. It articulates what I've come to realize in the past year. Thanks for posting it.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2142875 - 11/28/03 06:21 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

This article is called "simplification."

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2142881 - 11/28/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No, it is not. It is simply stating the sources of the world's problems. The sources are always going to be much simpler than the complex structures and obfuscation derived from them. It is stating a new foundation for a new model of society needs to be developed because the core beliefs of the current one will inevitably lead to corruption and self-destruction.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2143043 - 11/28/03 07:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hmmm haw hmmm haw.

What I think is simplistic is that the way the numbers are presented implies that if you just got rid of the military, then you could feed everybody. I declare the economy to be more complex than that.

That photo you have in your sig is also very simplistic, O simple one.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2143093 - 11/28/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

damn, see this is what I was thinking about money wise as well. I made a post on it like a month ago. assuming that the numbers are true, where the hell is all this money coming from. i know we don't have enough gold/precious metals to represent how much money we spend.

800 billion huh? how do you define that much worth, in the name of "security" it's obviously not all security and if it is that much, then we definately don't know everything that's going on.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: kaiowas]
    #2143117 - 11/28/03 08:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

where the hell is all this money coming from

Money has no physical value anymore, it's all 1's and 0's in the banks. They are creating virtual money, and you using your credit card or debit card instead of cash is only making it easier for them to get rid of physical currency altogether. When that happens, every transaction that you make will be monitered, recorded, and stored. e.g. right now I can meet you on a street corner and sell you some drugs, and u give me cash for it. If our money goes completely digital (and it will), I won't be able to make that kind of trade with you. I'm sure people will develop ways so scam this or just trade valuable possessions instead, but that's not the point. If money goes digital, it will almost complete the foundations of a transparent society.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: chodamunky]
    #2143192 - 11/28/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The US is on a credit based financial system called fiat money. What backs the US dollar is little more that the stability of the US government. Poeple belif and confidence gives it it's only value.

I fthe quote was just stating the source of world problems it need not include what is spent on millitary. It implies that abolishing all the worlds millitaries and put that money twards those problems would solve all the worlds problems. And it mght even be true in the short run. But someone will pick up a club again someday and catch the world off guard.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
    #2143326 - 11/28/03 10:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Simple one?

You think the picture in my post is simplistic? I think so, as well. But advertising's simplicity also only affects simple minds. How else can you explain a giant poster depicting a product to entice consumers to purchase it? Yet, it obviously works--very effectively... much like all advertising. I mean, sexy and alluring women selling products to men definitely improves profits. It stimulates primal desires and instincts to fatten the wallets of the manipulators.

And of course we can't simply "feed the hungry" and give up our military. Our capitalist system may be exploitive, however, it is a working system. It balances itself accordingly. The link simply points out the fact our military is grossly expensive when compared to the needs of the less fortunate. It exposes the signifance we place on weapons, while neglecting the value of human life. It, however, does perfectly adhere to the capitalist system; but, I think the link also looks past any such boundary of society as the current economy. It is detailing the fact our culture is based on ignorance, power, and greed. All of which are rewarded. It clearly states an alternative needs to be sought.

--------------------

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2143343 - 11/28/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, that article is funny. How do we solve the world's problems? well, we give up our military, a result of the world's problems.

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the world is militaristic because nation-states have to protect their interests, we may all be human but we have different ways of looking at the world, therefor we protect our mental soveriegnty with weapons of mass destruction, so we destruct en masse if anyone fucks with us. Or, if we are a superpower, we can destroy those who obstruct our expansion.

what the fuck is this:
-To Stabilize Population ($10.5 billion)

what is the logic behind that? what a bunch of euro-centric bullshit. How do we make the world a better place? force the world to have the same reproductive statistics as the apathetic west.

blah

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: Positronius]
    #2143354 - 11/28/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Of course with that mentality it seems more rational to protect our "mental soveriegnty"... however, that is all dependent on the core of our cultural beliefs... which extends past particular nation-states, because all countries (or the vast majority) share the same cultural standards (capitalism, oppressive government, etc.). The article points to the flaws of the foundation. That is all. It states that the current "metal soveriegnty" we are trying to protect is not the best choice and should be replaced.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2143356 - 11/28/03 10:49 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Other than nuking Canada and a couple of others, I tend to agree with this list. In my spare time, I will implement this list..yessss...

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: Jellric]
    #2143366 - 11/28/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"that is all dependent on the core of our cultural beliefs... which extends past particular nation-states, because all countries (or the vast majority) share the same cultural standards (capitalism, oppressive government, etc.). The article points to the flaws of the foundation. That is all. It states that the current "metal soveriegnty" we are trying to protect is not the best choice and should be replaced."

I disagree. Korea and America are both capitalist democracies but that means nothing along the lines of cultural similarity. The article is completely wrong is that is its contention, Humanities problems do not arise from a similar foundation, but because we all have very different foundations.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: Positronius]
    #2143370 - 11/28/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It means everything along the lines of cultural similarity. I am not talking about what we watch on TV, the latest fashion, or anything on that narrow of a scope. I am talking about the broad impacts on culture derived from capitalism and democracy.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2143374 - 11/28/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

his point stands.. go open your mind somewhere

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#2143381 - 11/28/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The first and should be only job of the feds is to protect the states from the outside, not to care for the less fortunate. You could do a chart of how much money is given to charity in every country and the US would be on the top of that with a huge gap to second place. It is the job of charity and we seem to be doing out part.

Americans are very giving when it comes to charity. I find it astounding that the majority is given by individuals.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Solution to the world's problems? [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #2143400 - 11/28/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It is a duty of the State to protect the less forunate. That is why welfare and other such institutions exist. The State realizes capitalism creates poverty as a side effect. There are supposed to be "safety nets" to help to a degree. And of course we give most to charity, we are also the world's superpower.

--------------------

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
    #2143403 - 11/28/03 11:15 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

...and I find it appaulling that the majority is given by individuals.

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

#2143406 - 11/28/03 11:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, who else?

Corporations (groups of individuals)? What's the difference?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale