Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
How much spawning is to much spawning?
    #2142411 - 11/28/03 05:09 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

How many generations of grain transfers can be done before you start effecting the potency or health of a mushroom? If one grain jar was used to spawn several other jars, then one of those jars was used to spawn several more and so on and so on, how much is to much? Is it better to wait for a mushroom to grow and make a print off of it or clone it? What is the best way to always assure that you have a good source to continue using? Grain jars will in time run out or start growing and liquid malt or honey seems to die off pretty fast if not used.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much spawning is to much spawning? [Re: MadHatR]
    #2142436 - 11/28/03 05:18 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

i find that 5 or 6 generations work fine. after that i start to see a slowing of mycilial growth. if you do a case, let it colonize, then put it in the fridge, that will be your 1st gen. take 1 jar from the fridge, g2g it to 12 jars (2nd gen)...and use 11-save one. take that 1 (3rd gen) and g2g it to 12...and so on until you get to gen 5 or 6. when its over, use one of the 1st gen jars in the fridge (you should have 11 left) and start the process again. in this fassion, 2 cases of jars should be able to last you and your friends a year of heavy tripping without having to mess with spores and syringes anymore.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: How much spawning is to much spawning? [Re: automan]
    #2142534 - 11/28/03 05:52 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

How long will a colonized jar stay good in the fridge? Is it like a honey jar and will start going bad after a few weeks or lose it's potency?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #2142542 - 11/28/03 05:54 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Great idea Automan! Jars in fridge can last a long time.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much spawning is to much spawning? [Re: SixCee]
    #2142698 - 11/28/03 06:58 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

a jar in the bottom of the fridge can last over a year. just use the fridge jars for g2g.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #2143064 - 11/28/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

When doing the g2g if you have a good glovebox or flowhood could you just take out a very small amount (just enough to get each of your jars started) and then refill the original jar with more grain? Or would this be causing the same problems? And by starting each of your other jars with such a small amount would it cause issues due to limited genetic code?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2143089 - 11/28/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

It will go alot furthur if you keep a mother culture.

If you expanded your spawn, and then took a sample and expanded form that ,and then took a sample and expanded form that,and then took a sample and expanded form that ...

Then it would wear out faster.

It will last longer if the origional culture is kept so that all spawn there after is expanded from it rather than spawning from previously expanded spawn.

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2143096 - 11/28/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Mycelium, when it touches grain, absorbs the nutrients and grows. The more mycelium you use to inoculate grain, the faster it will colonize, of course. The faster the colonization, the less of a chance for random competitive contaminats to take hold. As long as you're sterile you're fine.

As for the original post -- if you breed too many strains upon strains the strain will senesce after a certain amount of transfers. The limit is dependant on the strain, and how much it mutates, but try to limit the amount of generations.

I jar could inoculate 1,000 jars, if you wanted, at one time, with one generation.

That's all.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: How much spawning is to much spawning? [Re: micro]
    #2143281 - 11/29/03 12:01 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Thank you very much for all the help. This should keep my friend supplied for years to come.

--------------------

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #2143295 - 11/29/03 12:09 AM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Just two more quick questions. What generation would grain be if you injected spores into a malt jar then injected the grain from the malt jar? And are there any problems doing a g2g from brf/verm to rye or wbs? Or is it best to do a g2g from rye to rye? Thanks again for all the help.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation